Useful tips for avoiding getting music boring and repetative quickly?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Nhordmyr
Regular Freak
Nhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1893
Icon5 Useful tips for avoiding getting music boring and repetative quickly?

Dear Users,

I do have a major problem. Maybe it's a problem of our ages. Music which I find very interesting, gets by hearing it at least 5-10times in a row, very repetative for me. And which leads to some sort of boredom for me.

I struggle with this (not only a bit...) esp when composing Music in Software. At a certain point everything gets in a way "annoying". Yes, I think that's the right word for it. It's almost a feeling of ichyness and impatience which builts up in myself. Tho I am rather a patient person with everything else in life!

Do you have any methods to overcome this situation? Maybe you trick your brain not to memorize the different patterns of a Track and keeps listening to it interesting? Implement much more breaks?

Reeally interested what you guys know about this. Especially from those who have either dealt with this situation before or are in the business for a couple of years and have a greater variety of solutions of this, what I call it, pattern-like problem.

Thank you.

PS: On a sidenote rather offtopic but I will start a thread for this on its own soon: Is this getting impatient a problem of sitting uncomfortable on your chair, which may hurt after some hours? Pain leads to impatience due to wanting to cure this pain?

Last edited by Nhordmyr; 01-12-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Advertisements

Nhordmyr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238579
Re: Useful tips that music isn't getting boring and repetative for you fast

Make stuff more complicated. Your brain only remembers so much. :p

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146

As a producer, if I ever get bored with a track while working on it. I class it as not good enough and stop straight away and move on to something new.

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Nhordmyr
Regular Freak
Nhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant futureNhordmyr has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delinquent Dialect View Post
As a producer, if I ever get bored with a track while working on it. I class it as not good enough and stop straight away and move on to something new.
I can work with that. Maybe simple distraction like doing something completely different might help? Could work possibly.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283334
Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,760 Posts
Re: Useful tips for avoiding getting music boring and repetative quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhordmyr View Post
Dear Users,

I do have a major problem. Maybe it's a problem of our ages. Music which I find very interesting, gets by hearing it at least 5-10times in a row, very repetative for me. And which leads to some sort of boredom for me.

I struggle with this (not only a bit...) esp when composing Music in Software. At a certain point everything gets in a way "annoying". Yes, I think that's the right word for it. It's almost a feeling of ichyness and impatience which builts up in myself. Tho I am rather a patient person with everything else in life!

Do you have any methods to overcome this situation? Maybe you trick your brain not to memorize the different patterns of a Track and keeps listening to it interesting? Implement much more breaks?

Reeally interested what you guys know about this. Especially from those who have either dealt with this situation before or are in the business for a couple of years and have a greater variety of solutions of this, what I call it, pattern-like problem.

Thank you.

PS: On a sidenote rather offtopic but I will start a thread for this on its own soon: Is this getting impatient a problem of sitting uncomfortable on your chair, which may hurt after some hours? Pain leads to impatience due to wanting to cure this pain?
make more tracks and you will get better at dealing with it over time

i have a certain amount of hours i can work on a track then after that i cant really do anythiing... it's very frustrating!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Nhordmyr
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
make more tracks and you will get better at dealing with it over time

i have a certain amount of hours i can work on a track then after that i cant really do anythiing... it's very frustrating!
So maybe pushing it too hard and working several hours without literally allowing your brain to take a deep breath might lead to this kind of frustration. Interesting...
Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
knarf909
Soundwave Mangler
knarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MC
San Jose, CA
MC Status: 18395255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delinquent Dialect View Post
i do, that but sometimes i put stuff on the backburner for days! bad habit #2, bad habit #1 bad working titles so a lot of project files cause they all look the same or have a ridiculous name that has nothing to do with the music. =p

but when ever i run into that happening, i sometimes try messing with the drums or effects and if it still sounds just too annoying at the time i'll save it for when i'm feeling what i felt when i started it, but i think its just musical add! or maybe just me.

------------------
"Have You ever had a dreamps?" http://www.soundcloud.com/frankpanduh
knarf909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
So maybe pushing it too hard and working several hours without literally allowing your brain to take a deep breath might lead to this kind of frustration. Interesting...
it is EXACTLY this. you need to let your ears rest. the first thing i do when it starts to take a toll on me is go and switch the tv on or play another tune on my phone while i have a fag so i remove the track im working on from my brain. probably not the best way but it helps. i take regular fag breaks when working too so that i can go out and contemplate where the track is going and i usually come up with an idea of a few things to do next when i remove myself from it for a few minutes. if you dont smoke i wouldnt suggest a substitue for this because after a while you wont be able to produce with out this!

------------------
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
knarf909
Soundwave Mangler
knarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MCknarf909 is a savage MC
San Jose, CA
MC Status: 18395255

Quote:
it is EXACTLY this. you need to let your ears rest. the first thing i do when it starts to take a toll on me is go and switch the tv on or play another tune on my phone while i have a fag so i remove the track im working on from my brain. probably not the best way but it helps. i take regular fag breaks when working too so that i can go out and contemplate where the track is going and i usually come up with an idea of a few things to do next when i remove myself from it for a few minutes. if you dont smoke i wouldnt suggest a substitue for this because after a while you wont be able to produce with out this!
my studio is in a garage where i live as well, lol so i smoke fags like a chimmy too so true!

------------------
"Have You ever had a dreamps?" http://www.soundcloud.com/frankpanduh
knarf909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

Quote:
Are you producing 7 hours in a row without breaks? If so then you probably are doing more harm than good

Last edited by Divercity; 02-12-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf909 View Post
my studio is in a garage where i live as well, lol so i smoke fags like a chimmy too so true!
ahhhh so you dont leave the computer, i have to get a drink and go outside

the same principal applies though

------------------
Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Divercity
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC

How the fuck do you guys survive without a job?

Is the welfare that good? Damn im in the wrong country
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
How the fuck do you guys survive without a job?

Is the welfare that good? Damn im in the wrong country
im in education... that's my excuse

------------------
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
Divercity

Quote:
im in education... that's my excuse
Yea, I need to change my occupation.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Yea, I need to change my occupation.
you're only 19 man theres time to do all sorts

....except be 18

------------------
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Divercity

Quote:
you're only 19 man theres time to do all sorts

....except be 18
I plan on studying later on. Ive got a stable job so I guess its just a matter of saving until I can afford to pay the bigars loan

Edit: True. I spend alot of my time cooped up in a stuffy studio. I should be out partying and picking fights with cops
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
I plan on studying later on. Ive got a stable job so I guess its just a matter of saving until I can afford to pay the bigars loan
the fees for uni have risen by a large amount here and i was always definitely going until they did that.

then i spent ages going fuck that

now im going to do a music production course which wont even get me a job lol

i realised id rather be in uni for the next 3 years then be looking for jobs and living my boring life

so make sure you do it man

im not even going to learn really just to have 3 years to have a chance at getting somewhere with music

other wise ill just spend my life going ohhhh i shoulda woulda coulda budda hudda e.t.c

------------------
Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #18
Divercity

Quote:
the fees for uni have risen by a large amount here and i was always definitely going until they did that.

then i spent ages going fuck that

now im going to do a music production course which wont even get me a job lol

i realised id rather be in uni for the next 3 years then be looking for jobs and living my boring life

so make sure you do it man

im not even going to learn really just to have 3 years to have a chance at getting somewhere with music

other wise ill just spend my life going ohhhh i shoulda woulda coulda budda hudda e.t.c
Very True. Definitely like this post!

I have the same goal in mind. Im saving in order to travel to berklee. It has kind of been a bucket list thing for years.

Living with woulda coulda budda hudda day in day out would probably be just as bad as going deaf. Imagine the midlife crisis O.O
Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Very True. Definitely like this post!

I have the same goal in mind. Im saving in order to travel to berklee. It has kind of been a bucket list thing for years.

Living with woulda coulda budda hudda day in day out would probably be just as bad as going deaf. Imagine the midlife crisis O.O
haha i know man, to avoiding that

------------------
Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
Nhordmyr
Regular Freak

Quote:
"fag break" what a fitting term.

smoke, like "smoke.." ? no I do not. my psychodelics are landlife, low stress and a mix of meditation

but all you said was exactly the same procedure we did once I worked in my former media company as a grafic-designer. if you struggle in a creative process it is CRUCIAL to back away often.

I think we are getting closer and closer.

Advertisements