What seperates professional songs and songs made by amateurs?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ŧ The Studio ŧ The Studio
Old 18-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
jilf
IDMf's latest spammer
jilf is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
What seperates professional songs and songs made by amateurs?

I'm currently working on a song and I am really confused on how to make it sound really professional. Some of it must be from mastering, but I feel like music made by professional artists have a distinguishing trait. My melody is there, but it's still missing something.

Anybody know what it is? Is it effects? Transitions?

here's a visual to convey my point. the one on the left represents me, and the one on the right represents really good artists

Advertisements

jilf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421888379
Thanked 5,208 Times in 3,007 Posts
Re: What seperates professional songs and songs made by amateurs?

Lots of things. Thousands of dollars on equipment and professional audio engineers for one.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA
MC Status: 21834366

Record labels. People that do some of the work for them.

I would kill to have an engineer, producer and mixer all helping me out!!!
rewriter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
ryanmca
Minor Glitch
ryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MCryanmca is a savage MC
MC Status: 2284882

did you draw that yourself?

also i completely disagree with Vlantis. expensive equipment and professional audio engineers are not necessarily relevant any more (especially in electronic music). it's just about developing a bag of tricks and failing over and over and over until eventually you do something right. funny thing is you will never be good enough for your standards, but some day you'll listen to something written by yourself when you were just starting out and you'll think "damn, my stuff sounds pretty good compared to this".

------------------
ryanmca is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.

Well, I wasn't speaking strictly about electronic music. But it still applies to some extent.

IG88's newest sounded EXCEPTIONAL. When I asked him how he got it sounding so good, he told me he was lucky enough to have access to a studio and an engineer for this release.

$100 mastering VST's and guys who master your tracks for $50-$100 aren't enough to get it sounding as professional as the big boys.

That being said, my Izotope Ozone 4 vst works good enough for me.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 18-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1545677
Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,371 Posts

knowing your sound design and mixing helps. its like all the shading and detail in that picture.

the melody is like the line drawing you did, the content is there.

"needing" an engineer and "pro studio" to write tracks that sound "pro" is the kind of cop out that people make who don't have the skills to do it themselves.

could you hire someone to color and shade your picture?? sure. would you be better off if you could do it yourself?? most definitely.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA

Unless you have down syndrome. Just doing the lines is hard enough!

/politicallyincorrect/
Thanks to rewriter
Tsachi (04-04-2014)
Old 18-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948631
Thanked 5,809 Times in 3,650 Posts

I'd say it has alot to do with having an expert brain available in a production capacity to work for you, i.e. an AE or a producer.

With today's technology the gear isn't as important as it used to be but the choice of sounds are. If you're a kick ass musician and know your stuff obviously you'll fare better in a studio with the right peeps working with you on production. Always helps to have a second or third set of ears to get different perspectives.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
"needing" an engineer and "pro studio" to write tracks that sound "pro" is the kind of cop out that people make who don't have the skills to do it themselves.
Like I said, I wasn't speaking only of electronic music.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 18-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

There's no simple answer. It's many things. I agree with what has been said above. Tools, team, skills, etc.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
jtregoat
Soundscaper
jtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MC
New York City
MC Status: 3115731

mixing and mastering plays SUCH A BIG PART. you wouldn't even realize.
jtregoat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtregoat View Post
mixing and mastering plays SUCH A BIG PART. you wouldn't even realize.
This more than anything.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 18-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18707383

There's no magic button, it's a complicated combination of...

arrangement
composition
sound selection
balance, clarity, and tone of the mix
quality of the Master
monitoring environment
experience
patience

Mastering is not THE answer, its just small variable in the equation. Trust me.

Work on your song writing skills, crafting your sounds, and perfecting your mix downs. Small, minute tweaks (1 to 2 dB here or there) go a long way so try to improve your listening skills and train your ear.

------------------
FatPucker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Trace Elements
Soundscaper
Trace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MC
MC Status: 4716700

it's not gear alone. If you stepped into (insert famous artist here)'s studio you wouldn't make a gold or platinum album, even if you had the same audio engineers and mastering.

First and foremost is composition, anyone who's made it (and is not the front man for a songwriter) is going to be a very good composer or at the very least knows their genre/sound well and continues to make catchy or "good" music in that genre. As an example Solja boy (love him or hate him) produced his first hit single with a trial version of fruity loops. Now say what you want about his lyrical content, he became the youngest person to ever write, produce and perform a platinum album. It was a very catchy song and showed a lot of creativity for a 17 year old

I would say composition is king, if you can make a great song compositionally, you can hire the folks to clean it up mix and master it. However if you try to clean up a terrible song it will never work. I don't think composition can be taught as easily and not everyone has "it".

Then there's a huge component of luck, timing, marketing, image etc. There's plenty of folks with PHD's in composition who you've never heard of and never will. the majority of them can probably lay down really good tracks too, but it takes more than being good to make it.

Now adays with several years of practice it's possible for a home composer to make an electronic release that is on par with commercial releases. The cost is falling rapidly, but there will still be a difference between a very good composer with a good technical team behind them, and you working by yourself.

that being said many classic and famous IDM songs had no audio engineer or mastering guy, just one person. Composition will always trump a polished turd.
Trace Elements is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Trace Elements
Roland_Abuser (04-04-2014)
Old 18-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the desert.

I may have gotten off on the wrong foot with this thread. I didn't mean to imply that ONLY spending lots of money to have other people mix and master your tracks for you will immediately make you sound like a professional.

I mean, of course the song itself is extremely important. If you've been making music for two weeks, you probably won't be making songs that are as good as people who've been doing it for five plus years (there are exceptions, so nobody jump on me about that! ), but just in terms of "sounding professional" a lot has to do with the gear and engineering going into it.

I've got some songs of mine I like, that sound pretty good to me in terms of mastering and such, but I'm sure the songs would sound much better if I had access to a real studio and people who really knew what they were doing.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 18-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace Elements View Post
It was a very catchy song and showed a lot of creativity for a 17 year old
That's not right in the least bit.
Old 18-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762891

Mischjok has some things to say:

-Itīs not the gear, but the know how. You donīt need to spend millions on analog devices in order to have a great recording. Some great albums have been produced on a tight budget and some bad sounding ones in great studios. Metallicaīs "Death magnetic" is a great example of what can happen at a professional studio, with a professional producer on board. It sounds terrible, itīs too compressed and clips all the time. Not even an amateur would have produced something like that. On the other hand, this song was produced at the guitaristīs bedroom and it sounds great:

-A great producer alone wonīt get you a good album, you need good sound engineers backing him up...guitar techs, probably a vocal coach...as far as electronic music is concerned, some people will engage producers to master a finished track. The results wonīt always be spectacular. Refer to Front Line Assemblyīs "Artificial Soldier".
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
Sacramento, CA

Was Death Magnetic the one with all the tin sounding drums?

Ugh, I hate vocals that sound like the ones in the song you posted
Old 18-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
Inofaith
Sample Destroyer
Inofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MC
MC Status: 2299606

Years of experience being a real musician will help a lot.
You don't need expensive gear as long as you know what you're doing, and have a basic set of tools.

"What seperates professional songs and songs made by amateurs?"
Is kind of a question that can't have a defined answer though, it's like asking "give me a formula for beauty"

I get a lot of tracks sent my way and it's not hard to tell the more experienced producers from the newbees.
How? is hard to define

------------------
Inofaith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762891

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewriter View Post
Was Death Magnetic the one with all the tin sounding drums?

Ugh, I hate vocals that sound like the ones in the song you posted
I also hate whiny vocals, but the production is very good, considering it wasnīt recorded nor mastered at a professional studio, but as previously said, at the guitaristīs bedroom-cum-studio.

Advertisements

mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote