Key & stuff
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
sicksteve
Granular Poster
sicksteve will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Key & stuff

Hi guys, just a short and quick question, when you work with unlabeled samples & acapellas (key), do you use some software to find the key, or just use transpose button until it sounds right. Is there some advice you can give me ? ;d thanks !

Advertisements

sicksteve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: vicetone - hope
Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: Key & stuff

I use a combination of my ears and New Tone in FL Studio.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Ears are always easier to load and use, imo. It also doesn't come with manual, which is nice.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

If you can't "blindly trust your ears" then you probably shouldn't be making music either.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sincock
relic (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Well if the average person doesn't know better and can't hear the difference why does it matter? ;p

As I said, I usually us both my ears and then Newtone even if I'm pretty sure things are right.

I don't think anyone here is promoting "knowing nothing"--both Evelon and Sincock are knowledgeable and give good advice on the regular. I don't think that is what they are getting at.

Also, some people like a little dissonance in the music they make and/or listen to ;p

------------------
Thanks to relic
Sincock (10-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5747143

If you can't hear it or even want visual references to what you're hearing, spectrum analyzer in Live has a note preset that will help you.

------------------
Say :|
bbb is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
sicksteve (10-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreilg View Post
That's a pretty sad comment. People who think like this are the reason Art appreciation is dying if not dead. I don't meant to be offensive but I can't think of anything more toxic. Music and art in general are supposed to be an expression of oneself.
Dude. I was joking. God damn.

------------------
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
alex95
Knob Twiddler
alex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1599523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincock View Post
If you can't "blindly trust your ears" then you probably shouldn't be making music either.
True. It took me about a year or so to get my "Musical ear" though...

------------------
how do i marquee.
alex95 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
alex95
Knob Twiddler
alex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1599523

Quote:
That's a pretty sad comment. People who think like this are the reason Art appreciation is dying if not dead. I don't meant to be offensive but I can't think of anything more toxic. Music and art in general are supposed to be an expression of oneself.
Sometimes I wonder.

------------------
how do i marquee.
alex95 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

Quote:
I think it's the other way around. What makes you better than the average person on the street who listens to katy perry and doesn't know what C Major is? Music seems to be the only profession where people think it's ok to know nothing.
What makes someone who's been playing and making music for about 28 years better than someone who doesn't know anything about music at all? I don't know.

If you don't have the ear then you need to develop it simple as that; there's no easy fix like "give me some software to do the work for me cause I can't tell if this note's out of tune"

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
sicksteve
Granular Poster
sicksteve will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

yeah, thanks for advices, in my opinion practice is the most important part, like that words of wisdom: 1% talent and 99% practice, but i guess we all should know if something doesnt sound right in the mix, but after you hear the same loop for 10-15 minutes you feel no difference at all, because your (and my) ears get tired. in ableton, that spectrum analyzer plugin is the alternative of new tone in fl?
sicksteve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Gymnor
Soundwave Mangler
Gymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to behold
Ghent
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksteve View Post
Hi guys, just a short and quick question, when you work with unlabeled samples & acapellas (key), do you use some software to find the key, or just use transpose button until it sounds right. Is there some advice you can give me ? ;d thanks !
You need both. You don't need software to tell you the key, just look at the frequencies. Most software gives you an "approximate" key, but won't warn you when it's about 15 cents off. 15 cents is audible (and sounds to my ears pretty bad). Sometimes it's also hardly possible to tune something, as some vocalists and instrumentalists use pitch bending or sing with a "blue tone" (which is about 10 -15 cents lower than it should be, giving a bluesy and sad atmosphere). So there you need to use your ears and match it in such a way it sounds musical.

By the way, don't do it for the public. Do it for yourself, so you're able to listen to it later on without thinking "fuck, that thing sounds out of tune". Like I have with my latest...

Advertisements

------------------
Live electronics with a twist : Gadje Scum
---
My latest:
Gymnor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote