Layering a House Kick Drum - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 19-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
creativemind
Regular Freak
creativemind is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Layering a House Kick Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
You can layer as much or as little as you want, TBH. Sometimes a single kick works, and sometimes not.

Sometimes you might even like your own synthesized kick enough to use it alone.
Sorry for the late reply. Why would a single kick drum sample work and other times not? just wondering, doesn't make sense kind of. You mean depending on the elements within a particular song, as in what sub or low frequencies might be in one song as opposed to another?

Advertisements

creativemind is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #22
creativemind
Regular Freak

Yes, I'm seriously considering Kick 2 as well. Looks the bees knees and for under 50 ($65).

One question - do the kicks I see on the video's come with Kick 2 or are they loaded into it, or both?

I'm not at home at the moment but will post an example of a kick on here in about 3 hours with some further explanation, it's a 909 kick and I can't seem to get it to sound phat or stand out although I'm not really doing anything to it which makes no sense lol! mainly cause I don't know what to do. I should first of all sidechain it I suppose.

One thing I never see on vids on You Tube or wherever is they never show you sample selection and what to listen for in the 3 kick layers. This is 30-40% of the job right there I would've thought. I also see a lot saying you want a click in the high frequency layer. I wouldn't want a click in my kick. I just want a good full sounding powerful kick that drives the song and fills up the frequencies well. I know what I like when I hear it but fairly certain in progressive house / old skool progressive / rave and deep house you wouldn't want a click. Doesn't sound nice imo. I might be wrong if I kick I like contains it, I'd be shocked if it did. They also never mention (this would be sample selection too) and I'm sure would be the case - that what you would be listening for in a trance layered kick would differ than that of a house kick layer. Both have unique qualities / timbres to the kick. Trance is more pulsey or zappy I feel and house isn't.

Check out the kick on Nexus 21 - Self Hypnosis on You Tube, nothing special really and sounds like a 909 but mine doesn't sound as full as this when I use a 909 kick on my tracks. There's a bit where you can hear the kick better at 2:49s.

Last edited by creativemind; 19-08-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Old 20-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #23
creativemind
Regular Freak

This is my 909 kick sample:-

You'll have to go to soundcloud and search creativemind75 with a blue x-ray pic of Homer Simpsons brain in his head. Then play the 909 Kick track.

Sounds a bit crackly in places (only very slight but there) and I don't know what to do with it to make it sound as good as the tracks I listen to.

Advertisements