iPad as MIDI controller questions
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 23-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870
iPad as MIDI controller questions

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but to those who have figured out the easiest way to use an iPad on a Mac, as a MIDI controller.

Do you have any links or easy walk-thru's on how to achieve this either by bluetooth or, USB?

I have the camera kit for usb attachment to a computer is thats the needed method.

I currently use Ableton.

I've looked around the webzies and I see a few different tuts on how to achieve this but, I'd like to hear from someone actually using the iPad as MIDI controller currently in their process.

thanks guys and girls

Advertisements

agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 21060
Re: iPad as MIDI controller questions

yea i do i use the studio one app its awsome
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

Look around for touchablenreviews and see ifnyoure ready to shell out the cash for it. It probably is the best Live app right now.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

And how about connectivity between the ipad and computer? Is there special drivers or anything needed for say, Ableton to recognize a MIDI input from via USB from the iPAD?

Most of the vids just show how you open up a app on ipad and how it does xyz in the daw, not really about the details between setting it up and using it.

Thanks for the info guys
Old 24-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

You just need to plug the ipad in your laptop via usb afaik. Then different apps would use different protocols, I think you need to download an installer from the developer's website or something along those lines.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Hmm.. so basically just fuck with shit based on what app you wanna use. I was hoping for an easy plug and play with maybe a software install to make the OS see the iPad as MIDI controller.
Old 24-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
Benwaa

if you're windows based you generally use the wifi connection through your router to connect to your comp, with a mac you can create an ad-hoc network between the two devices so no router needed.
I had (i say had the ex GF fucked off with the ipad when we split) touchable on it and tbh it' was fucking awesome. couldnt ask for a better app, it stopped me thinking about needing a controller like a launchpad or an apc40 even.
Another app i used on it was omnisphere's app too, perfect thing that allowed more possibilities with omnisphere to be utilized much easier than directly through your comp or a standard midi controller.
I'm not aware of any app that yo could utilize control over your DAW/Plugins via just hooking up through USB though. although i culd be wrong on that.
Touchable is Well worth it if you have an ipad IMO
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
agent (26-06-2015)
Old 26-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Thanks for all the input everyone..

My main focus was to use a few of the MIDI sequencing apps to control software synths and make MIDI libraries. Seems daunting kinda I think with out the ability to just plug it in and set it as a MIDI input device in LIVE. Would have thought by now there would have been a app or something that would make this seemless as bluetooth and wireless is often a "no-go" in the studio for many
Old 26-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

I'd highly recommend just getting a midi interface for your iPad I have not tried using it with my windows computer but it has been brilliant at sequencing hardware. and as a synth.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32910

Did you look into genome midi? I haven't used it to sequence software but it works via cck for hardware for me and the midi set up is pretty simple

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 03:16 AM   #11
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Thanks Relic, I actually forgot about all the new midi interfaces just for iPads.

However, I hope they are not "app specific" meaning that, if I buy one from day Native Instruments I can only use it with NI apps on the iPad.

Research will prove everything I guess
Old 27-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
Thanks Relic, I actually forgot about all the new midi interfaces just for iPads.

However, I hope they are not "app specific" meaning that, if I buy one from day Native Instruments I can only use it with NI apps on the iPad.

Research will prove everything I guess
Ive never had that experience...MIDI is MIDI....ive been able tl sequence all my gear w the ipad and been able to sequence the ipad w various hardware...trigger finger pro and E2...to name two. Its more about researching the apps...core midi is your friend!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
agent (30-06-2015)
Old 19-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
jazzbastard
Minor Glitch
jazzbastard will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I use liine lemur as my ipad controller during live performances. I like this app very much, it has so many possibilities. It takes time to find out how it works, but with all scripting abilities it is the killer app! Also touchable is really great for every day use with ableton.

Advertisements

jazzbastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote