Teenage Engineering OP-1 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Teenage engineering OP-1

Oh, and BTW, all of this OP-1 praise is coming from a guy who talked mad shit on the thing for like two years.

More than once I called it an overpriced toy for trust fund kids.

Ate some major crow, for sure.

Advertisements

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
lolirl (04-01-2014)
Old 20-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #22
Bhg1987
Regular Freak
Bhg1987 will become famous soon enoughBhg1987 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard View Post
That is exactly how I mainly use mine. I also make beats on the OP-1 and just use the iPad as a synth and jam over the beat, resample, cut it up, resequence etc. I also use an X-mini2 speaker as a monitor as the OP-1 speaker is terrible. You just activate the input on one of the tape tracks and the line audio comes thru, controlled by the OP-1 mixer but I'm not sure if the latest update allows you to route it thru the onboard effects but you can record whatever you hear and effect that.

The last track I posted to my soundcloud was all OP-1 but only sampled from whatever was on the radio at the time - I then drop the 4 waves files from the OP-1 tape machine into cubase for eq & compression. (link in my sig if you want to listen)

Not really sure about the 'toy' comments either - I think a lot of that comes from the fact that its small. Ipads get the same treatment. The large majority of the demo videos on the net seem to be chiptune style which also doesn't help but the synths are digital and lend themselves to that style. The synths aren't analog emulations, so the sampler is the only real option for those which obviously comes with limitations - having the ipad too definitely fills sonic gaps (with some suitable apps of course) but as Daniel said, its never going to be the only synth you ever need - I probably could use it to do a rather limited job of 'everything' and make a whole track with it but arranging and mixing on even the most basic of DAW's would be so much easier, so why bother - I'm guessing its a moot point as most people who have the cash for an OP-1 is probably not just starting out or looking to replace their existing setup but rather add to it. If you have no gear whatsoever and 670 to spend for fucks sake buy a pc first!!! 300 laptop, 150 interface, Reaper and all the free vsts the net has to offer has surely got to be the biggest 'racket-per-paypacket' ratio for electronic music. If you are away from your DAW you can imo use the OP-1 to create really usable material for use later when you are in the studio.

An Ipad is imo way more capable than the OP-1 - more synths, better audio sequencers, more memory etc which makes it all the more strange that I have both and use the OP-1 more for music. I honestly don't know why because I'm normally quite a rational person and will always go and get a bigger hammer if the job needs it, yet I just love seeing what I can get out of the OP-1. Its made its way onto every track I've made since I got it too, so I'm happy with the purchase. Definitely not for everyone but I think if you're thinking about one (like I was), you will end up liking it - buying one from recommendations might not be such a good idea

It's a Marmite synth
Excellent post. I've owned lots of gear over the years, synths, samplers, drummachines etc. As well as cubase and shitloads of VSTs. Then, some years ago, I spent less and less time making music, and ultimately sold all my hardware.

Last fall, however, I bought an Ipad and was surprised to find that there existed a lot of great quality music apps. That reignited my passion for making music. I was able to be much more productive with just my ipad than I had been with my hardware + cubase setup. Working within a limitations suits me. Instead of spending hours tweaking insignificant details, I end up focusing on the bigger picture. Music is fun again, just like when I started out on Impulse Tracker some 13 years ago. Considering this mindset, I imagine the OP-1 will be a perfect fit.

I checked out your soundcloud, digging the old school vibe on your OP-1 track, very creative. Would be interested in hearing more if you got any.
Bhg1987 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bhg1987
Grain Bastard (20-06-2013)
Old 20-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #23
s'liM
Granular Poster
s'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MC
MC Status: 8389235

Teenage Engineering recently gave a live demo of the OP-1 with Point Blank Music School.

s'liM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #24
Syncopate Life
Soundscaper
Syncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant future
Hawai'i
MC Status: 1960

Why didn't they include velocity sensitivity? That counts a lot for expression. To op-1 users: does this bother your workflow? Workarounds?

------------------
Syncopate Life is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopate Life View Post
Why didn't they include velocity sensitivity? That counts a lot for expression. To op-1 users: does this bother your workflow? Workarounds?

The first thing I do whenever I get a new synth/keyboard is to turn off velocity (unless it has the ribbon-like controllers like on the Animoog). So, no. Velocity makes sense on a piano, with real wieghted keys, hammers, and strings, but not on a synth with buttons for keys, at least for me.

------------------
Old 21-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
Syncopate Life
Soundscaper
Syncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant futureSyncopate Life has a brilliant future
Hawai'i
MC Status: 1960

Ahh I see. Makes sense when you say it that way. But what about more expression? I can't imagine a song with a more or less stale piano track (in terms of volume\velocity)

------------------
Syncopate Life is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

I add expression via the ADSR, or via f/x on the KP3 or a volume pedal. Then again, I'm not looking at the OP-1 as a super expressive instrument in that sense. It is what it is, and I definitely wouldn't use it for an expressive piano track. It's a digital synthesizer.

------------------
Old 23-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #28
crybo
Minor Glitch
crybo is a jewel in the roughcrybo is a jewel in the roughcrybo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Hey there. Here are a couple of tracks I made on the OP-1 that aren't dance/techno in any way.

This one was made on the OP-1 and Nave (iPad app), mixed in Live.

This one was made all on the OP-1.

I actually don't like the OP-1 for dance-style music. I don't think it works very well for stuff that needs to be so tempo-synced. I mainly use it for ambient stuff, as you can see in this video:

It's an expensive device, but worth every penny. It and the iPad have completely changed the way I make music - easily the two best instruments I've ever purchased. I take both with me everywhere I go. I no longer have a "studio" - everywhere is my studio.

Should note, though, that the OP-1 has some strange quirks, the weirdest one being the noise that comes out of the headphone jack. You'll need high impedance head phones, or a headphone amp with volume control to get it under control. Also, some of the f/x are super noisy. It's all part of the device's charm and character; some people like it and can deal with it, others can't, and for the price I understand.

Loving that video, reminds me of old Fax records stuff, Deep Space Network etc, love that vibe.
crybo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #29
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crybo View Post
Loving that video, reminds me of old Fax records stuff, Deep Space Network etc, love that vibe.
Thanks. All that stuff was definitely an early influence on me, that's for sure.

------------------
Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #30
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle
Teenage Engineering OP-1

We have a few OP-1 users here.

I thought I'd kick off this thread devoted to my favorite little synth on the day that I will be sending mine off for a minor repair.

It's actually hard for me to do, because I cannot imagine making music without the OP-1 anymore. It's become such a source for inspiration; my studio will feel empty for the next few weeks, that's for damn sure.

Anyhow...

The OP-1
It's not a toy.
It's not just for hipsters.
It's worth the money.
It's a real synth with tremendous power.
It's a source of creativity and inspiration.

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
relic (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #31
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534601
Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1

I know i will own an OP-1 in the future they look great, its just my shopping list is so big at the moment.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 AM   #32
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

I'm a little pissed at mine atm. The mic is dead, now, and I emailed TE over a week ago about it. I want to try and revert to the last OS to make sure it wasn't a bug in the current one. Trying to avoid sending it off for a repair it doesn't need, though the dead mic is hardly an uncommon problem with the OP-1.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #33
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

I've heard that TE is slow at customer service, which is one of the reasons why I ordered from Sweetwater.

------------------
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #34
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

I don't think I've ever used the mic on mine. About 90% of my time with the OP-1 is spent with the synth engines, and I rarely use the drums or anything else.

------------------
Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #35
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
I don't think I've ever used the mic on mine. About 90% of my time with the OP-1 is spent with the synth engines, and I rarely use the drums or anything else.
Fair enough, I almost never use it either, but every so often I want to. Someone on ohpeewon posted that they think it's a hardware default in the line in connector. Failing to switch the circuit back to the internal mic (it's disabled when using the line in). That damned I/O board is the OP-1's kryptonite (and a $50 USD part to replace) lol. The hardware test shows no connection, too.

Still haven't heard from TE on whether it was a hardware or software fault, but the hassle of sending it off to JRRShop to get it fixed is probably not going to be worth it if I can get a little laptop mic to work via the line in. Or just connect my iPhone to it if I really need to record some aural audio to the Tape.

I certainly won't be getting rid of the little guy over it being a little gimpy

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #36
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

I just can't bring myself to send mine in for repair.

My studio simply isn't the same without the OP-1!

------------------
Old 24-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #37
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

New OS and features coming soon!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 24-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #38
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
Seattle

------------------
Old 25-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #39
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

New OS is out!!!!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Downloading now

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
Faktori
Radial Developer
Faktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

That teenage OP-1... I thought several time about selling one of my kidneys to get one of those

Advertisements

Faktori is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote