Midi Mapping
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ğ The Studio ğ The Studio
Old 19-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Epsill
Regular Freak
Epsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MC
MC Status: 398276
Midi Mapping

Hey all, I was following this tutorial, and I know you're rolling your eyes and going "oh god not another skrillex tutorial", but I'm trying to learn lots of different sounds in fm8. The problem I'm having is about 3:12. He's assigning the feedback between Z and E to a knob on a midi keyboard. The problem is, I can't seem to work out how. I try enabling midi mapping, clicking on the box, and then adjusting the knob on my midi keyboard but I can't get it to work. I'm using the UMX490 midi controller, is it maybe a compatibility issue, or am I just no going about it the right way?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Epsill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: Midi Mapping

Can't help you with FM8 directly as I don't have it, but maybe this will help:

Usually with VST plugins there's two ways to map a controller:

1:> Right click on the virtual knob, and select 'Midi Learn'. Move your hardware knob and the two should now be linked. However this isn't always possible, in which case:

2:> Click the little arrow on the Ableton VSTi window, select configure & then click on one or many of the software parameters. You'll see they now appear as a slider which is separate from the VSTi window. You can now midi-map that slider (the one labelled 'Room Size' in the example below) to your hardware controller like you usually would in Ableton:

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

That's what I was thinking sycn when I first read/saw the vid.

Should work +rep

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Epsill
Regular Freak
Epsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MCEpsill is a savage MC

So I now have the parameter that I would like to control under the configure button, but I still cant get it to map to my midi controller. I think that it may be a problem with my controller.

Its odd because when using other programs I can right click and then choose midi learn, but not with fm8. I've selected the midi mapping, and then clicked on the parameter under the configure button, and then moved the knob I would like it assigned to, but it still won't work.
Old 19-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Have you managed to map your controller to anything in Ableton?
Old 19-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

It sounds to me like your machine and ableton are not communicating.

Go to options-pref-If I remember its the midi tab- Then click on remote,sync etc to on under the name for your midi keyboard.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Epsill
Regular Freak

Hmm now that you mention it, no. I can map things in massive, but not in Ableton

Edit: I have also tried what you said Divercity, but it doesn't seem to work either. What could cause it to work when I use the Massive VST, but not the main one ableton? O_o
Old 19-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Check out Divercity's post above: In your midi preferences make sure that 'Track' and 'Remote' is set to ON.
Old 19-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Epsill
Regular Freak

That may have helped, and I also played around with the assign button on my keyboard. Kinda fail to overlook that T_T But the combination of the two seems to get it working. Thanks very much for your help ! Rep for aaaaalll

Advertisements