[Altmodisch Sustain Piano] SCANDINAVIA
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 26-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Søvntrang
Microknight
Søvntrang will become famous soon enoughSøvntrang will become famous soon enough
København
MC Status: 112
[Altmodisch Sustain Piano] SCANDINAVIA

It's time to take a break from the electronic sound, so I want to post the latest piece of work I did within 5 or 6 hours last night.
I'm not really sure where to put this.. I was trying a new plugin, and ended up improvising on piano in Ableton Live. I found out that for a person who hasn't really played the piano for a decade, I may have increased my skill for making improvised piano-compositions just a little anyway.
Hope you like it.

//Earthpixel.

Advertisements

Søvntrang is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Altmodisch Sustain Piano] SCANDINAVIA.
Old 26-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
RMNC
Soundwave Mangler
RMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MC
MC Status: 1029985
Re: [Altmodisch Sustain Piano] SCANDINAVIA

It's cool, but it's peaking. You need to make sure the master volume is at the default and lower the track volumes until there's no more pops, or fix your synths so that they don't crackle.
RMNC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Søvntrang
Microknight
Søvntrang will become famous soon enoughSøvntrang will become famous soon enough
København

All my track volumes are separately set between -21 and -2 dB, and my master volume is set to 0 dB, but peaks at about -5, so nothing in the arrangement is actually peaking at all. The crackled and "distorted" sound has several sources.
It can be from the synth I've used to play that background melody during the track. The resonance and reverb is automated so the sound changes a little from being very sharp and degraded to a more mellow and liquid sound in the end.
I also use a vinyl crack filter on the master track which I've turned down quite low. Beside that I have two tracks with some sort of roomy noise. The first one is a seashore-sample which is pretty effected, and the second is actually the piano you hear in the beginning, on which I again have used automation to turn the piano sound into the plops and cracks you frequently hear in the background.
So I guess the thing you're talking about is fully intended in my attempt to make track with a dusty, old sound.

Last edited by Søvntrang; 26-06-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 26-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
RMNC
Soundwave Mangler
RMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MCRMNC is a savage MC
MC Status: 1029985

Ha, in that case just layer over the sound of an old vinyl record clip so that no one thinks they're losing their sanity!
RMNC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
ckiiln
Digital Surfer
ckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MCckiiln is a savage MC
MC Status: 47379586

What I like almost most about this is the ambient sounds you have in the background and how they develop throughout the track. You have some very good phrases in this, and I like how the end fades everything out into some very comfortable and soft oblivion. I wonder how a bass harmonica would sound in this on and off.

A very enjoyable experience, thank you.
ckiiln is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Søvntrang
Microknight
København

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiiln View Post
What I like almost most about this is the ambient sounds you have in the background and how they develop throughout the track. You have some very good phrases in this, and I like how the end fades everything out into some very comfortable and soft oblivion. I wonder how a bass harmonica would sound in this on and off.

A very enjoyable experience, thank you.
Thanks a lot! The development throughout my arrangement is something I've been playing with for a couple of times now. I think it's a good way to make a noticeable change or development during a quite simple track, without adding more elements or different sounding parts to the overall mix.

I thought a little about putting just 5 or 10 seconds of distant violin chords in the end, where the background organ fades out into a smooth soundscape. I haven't done it (yet), cause I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
You know, my great weakness is sometimes to end up with 20+ layers of sounds and effects in the final mix.
Old 27-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Decidan
Microknight
Decidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MCDecidan is a savage MC
Warwickshire
MC Status: 1105366

The is beautiful. I'm in love. It reminds me of the game Zelda - Ocarina of time. The soundtrack in that was something special and had such a powerful soul to it. This could've easily have been used in that game. Amazing

------------------
Decidan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Søvntrang
Microknight
København

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidan View Post
The is beautiful. I'm in love. It reminds me of the game Zelda - Ocarina of time. The soundtrack in that was something special and had such a powerful soul to it. This could've easily have been used in that game. Amazing
See this is what I truly love about music and about making it. The way it can really move, remind and inspire you, and when I see comments like yours I just want to continue. Thanks for the compliment (and the Zelda reference ) I'm glad you liked it that much.
Currently Listening To: Silence in the yard.
Old 28-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

This track really sucks you in and just keeps you. The piano is really expressive and makes the song full of life and dreamy at the same time. I imagine dreaming where I'm flying and like tons of colors balloons flying around me all reflecting off the sun and then just floating back down into my bed

------------------
A song from my upcoming Dub Techno EP.

Muonos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
rizzkid89
Minor Glitch
rizzkid89 will become famous soon enough
Boston
MC Status: 60

Wow I love this track! Very well done. Beautiful sounds and textures in there. I like the dream-like quality and subtle development of the piece. Keeps me interested the whole way through.

------------------
rizzkid89 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Søvntrang
Microknight
København

Thank you for the very positive feedback on this track. It's really encouraging to hear such nice descriptions of the dreamy feeling. Also, since I've been quite unhappy with a lot of my attempts to make interesting non-repeating piano themes, and this was kind of a first shot success. Nice.

Advertisements

Currently Listening To: Silence in the yard.