Best kick drum vst?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 23-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Predita
Granular Poster
Predita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond repute
Birmingham
MC Status: 6774
Best kick drum vst?

I'm looking to start layering my kicks, to get a fatter sound.

From bits of research I've found that the 'sweet spot' seems to be around 40-50hz (correct me if i'm wrong please)

I've already got a few vengeance sample packs and love them, but the kicks just aren't punchy enough.

Anyway, the main question is, what is the best kick drum creation vst that will allow me full control over things like frequency range and attack rate etc?

Free ones would be preferable, but I don't mind looking into a paid one if the quality is substantially better.

Advertisements

------------------
Predita is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Naptime
Granular Poster
Naptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MCNaptime is a savage MC
MC Status: 52205
Re: Best kick drum vst?

Off the top of my head I would say pick up a copy of Computer Music Magazine and take a look at the free offerings in the bundled DVD
Naptime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I like BassIZM for its simplicity and foundational sine sound (although you could do this with any synth with sine, pitch envelope, amplitude envelope and ADSR). Then there is layering with real drums and further processing (filters, EQ, compressors, gates, expanders).

There are tons of free drum vsts here:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Predita
Granular Poster
Predita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond reputePredita has a reputation beyond repute
Birmingham

I'm after layering a big bass punch with a real kick sound that I'm already using
Is it a better idea to use a kick generator, or to layer it with another kick sample as you mentioned?
Also, how would you go about this?
My best guess would be to just EQ the bottom end out of the one and the top end out of the other, and then compress?

------------------
Old 24-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

There are many ways to do this. You can even use highpass to filter out all the lows in the acoustically recorded kick. I'm sure there are as many ways to process the layers as there are producers. Experiment.

To make it basic, you can devide the kick into three bands - subs/lows, mid body punch and high transient/click. Then you can layer in the X-axis (transient, reflection and tail). You can add a nice tail and use a bit of attack time (adsr) on it to fade it in while the transient and punch rings out. it can make a kick really rich sonically.
Old 24-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Predita
Granular Poster
Birmingham

Thanks for the helpful tips man

I know it's off topic but I notice your profile says you use buzz and cubase?
Just wondering what you use buzz for?
Seems like an interesting piece of software

------------------
Old 24-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predita View Post
Thanks for the helpful tips man

I know it's off topic but I notice your profile says you use buzz and cubase?
Just wondering what you use buzz for?
Seems like an interesting piece of software
For making sounds, noise and music. It's modular heaven, and it's free.
Old 24-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
Predita
Granular Poster
Birmingham

Does it rewire into cubase?

------------------
Old 24-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predita View Post
Does it rewire into cubase?
No, basically. Instead I just render out the individual tracks and busses as WAV and import them into Cubase.
Old 24-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Predita
Granular Poster
Birmingham

I'm definitely going to download it and give it a bash tomorrow
I love having new toys XD

Thanks for your help mate

------------------
Old 24-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #11
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Ok. Cool. It's a bit of a bitch in the beginning, but install these (in the right order):
1) [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(needed to run latest Buzz beta)
2) [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(Or go [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for the latest build)
3) A [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Unzip Zip and extract the generators into the generators folder, and effects into the effects folder (in the C:/.../Buzz/gear root folder)
4) you might need the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
to load your VSTs.

Here are a few more sources, if you get the Buzz bug:
(tutorial, shortcuts, etc)
(latest updates and betas)
(lots of presets, "patches", tricks, etc)
(post any questions that you have)
Old 24-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
jakobcreutzfeldt
Ghostly
jakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MC
MC Status: 61112557

Ah, thanks for the link on the latest Polac VST loader. I downloaded the one from Buzzmachines but Buzz kept complaining that it wasn't new enough. I hadn't searched elsewhere for it yet since my focus got occupied by other things.

@OP: I recently started a thread about my friend's kick drum vst:
jakobcreutzfeldt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #13
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Yeah, some Buzz stuff is all around the internet in a mess. For a "total Buzz beginner" it must be a pain in the assholes.
Here is [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(with alot of info on how to use it with VSTs), and here is his [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. The betas work great.

Edit: Oh, and if you have ANY questions about Buzz I'd be happy to answer.
Sorry for hijacking.

Last edited by Evelon; 24-11-2010 at 03:17 AM..
Old 24-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Predita
Granular Poster
Birmingham

thanks for the install guide evelon. very concise

@Jakob: this vst looks pretty good
on the download now
i'll post up some feedback on your thread once i've had a play

------------------
Old 25-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
waffleberry
Radial Developer
waffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MC
MC Status: 132634

I use soundforge to make the base patch from pure sine, then stack with other layers either specially designed or with overtones from natural kick samples. Then given a slight offshift. Then it is sent through a mild fx chain (such as reverb=>boost low end=>compression=>reduce low end=>cut muddy eq ranges) always leaving enough headroom so that you dont distort during the boosting.

------------------
waffleberry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #16
Predita
Granular Poster
Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleberry View Post
I use soundforge to make the base patch from pure sine, then stack with other layers either specially designed or with overtones from natural kick samples. Then given a slight offshift. Then it is sent through a mild fx chain (such as reverb=>boost low end=>compression=>reduce low end=>cut muddy eq ranges) always leaving enough headroom so that you dont distort during the boosting.
This is pretty much exactly what I've been trying.
Sadly I mix down on earphones so low frequencies aren't that easy
I've got access to a good studio though so hopefully can get a better whack at it there

Up until now i've tried taking a single hit acoustic kick sample, and making a deep sine wave hit and lowpassing that to about 40-50hz. Then highpassing the kick sample to just above 50.
Put through same channel, compress, EQ and that's it really.
Havent tried the offshift or reverb though
I'll definitely give that a shoot

------------------
Old 26-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
m3t4
Regular Freak
m3t4 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Been using Drummax for most of my latest outputs... I just love the way you can design percussive elements, and especially the kicks !!
m3t4 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
Predita
Granular Poster
Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4 View Post
Been using Drummax for most of my latest outputs... I just love the way you can design percussive elements, and especially the kicks !!
Hmm Drummax looks pretty good actually. Does it work outside FL Studio though?

EDIT: Found out it comes in VSTi 2.4 so I'm definitely going to try the demo

------------------
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #19
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18032619

i tried angular momentum's kicklab and liked it. its free too.

but i still layer samples over what i make with it.

tip. dont forget the higher frequencies of the kick. that is where a lot of the punch really comes from. i usually sweep a boost around the spectrum to hear where the kicks punch lays.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #20
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

For MIDI controller pads and layering of drum sounds, try Poise VSTi.

Sampled drums are the best to me, because they can be really diverse yet each hit can sound perfect.

Advertisements

astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote