Should i make both an un mastered and mastered version of my e.p. to send to labels?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310
Should i make both an un mastered and mastered version of my e.p. to send to labels?

so first off a few things, feel free to move this thread to a more suitable area if there is one but i think this should go here? and also in regards to the title; im using the term mastering somewhat loosely here. when i say mastering, i'd just have simple little chains to do some standard compression and limiting and what have you to bring the volume up a bit. i'd bet my life that if i actually tried to do some real, extensive mastering jobs in this current set up i have i would kill the tracks.
but yeah, its all mixed and ready to send off but do labels really want you to do that? theres one or 2 i have in mind that say on the site un-mastered with around 6dB of headroom cus they'll be mastering it themselves, but others do not specify. what do you think i should do?

Advertisements

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: Should i make both an un mastered and mastered version of my e.p. to send to labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imma3k View Post
what do you think i should do?
Send them a friendly email stating that you couldn't find what their submission requirements were & could they please advise you as to what would be best. By doing that you're also initiating communication between you and them rather than just submitting tracks...I think it might just work in your favor if they see you're asking them questions, getting in touch & trying to do things right the first time.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310
Re: Should i make both an un mastered and mastered version of my e.p. to send to labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Send them a friendly email stating that you couldn't find what their submission requirements were & could they please advise you as to what would be best. By doing that you're also initiating communication between you and them rather than just submitting tracks...I think it might just work in your favor if they see you're asking them questions, getting in touch & trying to do things right the first time.
thats a damn good suggestion, might just do that! thanks

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I would save both versions in case if one is needed.
I do not have any experience with labels nor mastering enigneers, but in my opinion
I think You should send unmastered stuff + one or more tracks You mastered, so engineer better knows hole idea.

------------------
Looking for inspiration and free secondhand hardware.
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

Must be the difference between rock and electronic music, most rock labels don't use a mastering engineer and you have to do it yourself. That is some weird wild schtuff.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote