Drum Machine VS Controller
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper
MC Status: 410
Drum Machine VS Controller

ok, i am looking into buying something to controll my beats......

i stomped into a couple of good drum machines(for a pretty low price) but i was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with them...

for now my set up is all software controllers, and i tought that an analog drum machine would take a bit of loud out of the processor, aldo i have pretty good specs....

so i was looking into something like korg volca beats, but then i saw the arturia beat step.... as i figured the arturia is just a software controller tough..

so i want to ask: what are the pros and cons of an analog drum/beat machine vs just using another controller(i know about latency, but this, at the moment is not a problem since i have good specs on my computer) ?
do you have any suggestions on what should i get?

i guess the sounds i would like to make are those very distorted industrial percussions.....

Advertisements

spejs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: NINE INCH NAILS ~The Downward Spiral
Old 07-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts
Re: Drum Machine VS Controller

volca beats.

limited, a bit of a one trick pony. that said, its a fun box to use.

If you want to make anything industrial go with a sampler. It doesn't matter if its a hardware sampler like an MPC1000 or software in the box (that all comes down to preference)

a sampler is only limited by your imagination/ability to sample sounds and is NOT a one trick pony. THAT said, a a sampler might be less instant gratification than something like Volca, in my opinion a sampler would go a lot further in a production environment.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
volca beats.

limited, a bit of a one trick pony. that said, its a fun box to use.

If you want to make anything industrial go with a sampler. It doesn't matter if its a hardware sampler like an MPC1000 or software in the box (that all comes down to preference)

a sampler is only limited by your imagination/ability to sample sounds and is NOT a one trick pony. THAT said, a a sampler might be less instant gratification than something like Volca, in my opinion a sampler would go a lot further in a production environment.
I was going to type out something longer, but pretty much just what chasedestroy said. I like the ESX pretty well, it can get pretty lofi/distorted. It is still much more limited than something like Maschine though. I think Maschine is pretty much at the top of the heap at the moment unless you just don't want to be tethered to a computer.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
spejs
Minor Glitch
spejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nicespejs is just really nice
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I was going to type out something longer, but pretty much just what chasedestroy said. I like the ESX pretty well, it can get pretty lofi/distorted. It is still much more limited than something like Maschine though. I think Maschine is pretty much at the top of the heap at the moment unless you just don't want to be tethered to a computer.

as i understood machine is just a controller..... if so, i already have a novation launchpad and am very satisfied....

but i will look into samplers-i dont even know exactly what they do so if you could simply explain the difference i would be thankfull(else i will just google it up)

by the way, i am looking into the Akai Rhythm Wolf...its not out yet, but still-any toughts?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Maschine + the included software are much more than just a controller IMO. You can easily use it to compose entire songs. I also use it + its software to sequence multiple hardware synths. I could go on and on, but there is tons of info and videos on Maschine at this point.

As for the Rhythm Wolf, I think it looks promising, personally. It isnt going to be released for a while yet and I am not going to preorder one, but I am somewhate excited for it personally. Hoping my local GC gets them so I can try one out...price seems right....

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Maschine + the included software are much more than just a controller IMO. You can easily use it to compose entire songs. I also use it + its software to sequence multiple hardware synths. I could go on and on, but there is tons of info and videos on Maschine at this point.

As for the Rhythm Wolf, I think it looks promising, personally. It isnt going to be released for a while yet and I am not going to preorder one, but I am somewhate excited for it personally. Hoping my local GC gets them so I can try one out...price seems right....
well, i guess i have to look a bit more into the mashine thingy....
i tought the rythm wolf was a neet thing, but u cant say till you hear it, right....

tnx for the info :banalama:
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649318
Thanked 5,001 Times in 3,213 Posts

The only reason to buy a drum machine in my opinion these days would be for the sequencer otherwise what you already have in your computer is more than capible. I've had all manner of drum boxes down through the years and I'm convinced the only one worth a damn is a machinedrum. This isn't including Machine though because I think, clearly, its different beast then a "drum machine."

So, save your money until you can afford an MD or just get something to control what you have in the box already and call it a day.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
spejs
Minor Glitch
Koper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The only reason to buy a drum machine in my opinion these days would be for the sequencer otherwise what you already have in your computer is more than capible. I've had all manner of drum boxes down through the years and I'm convinced the only one worth a damn is a machinedrum. This isn't including Machine though because I think, clearly, its different beast then a "drum machine."

So, save your money until you can afford an MD or just get something to control what you have in the box already and call it a day.
see, my problem is that i would like to perform live....if anyone has any experience, is PC reliable?
i find my laptop is doeing quite good, but at times there are problems(drivers mostly) that would be the main reason i was thinking of goeing analog-er...
as far as pc controllers i do like the arturia step sequencer, but i havent really found any good reviews on it....any info?

also i was thinking about sequencing the akai mpx8 trough the arturia sequencer...it should work, right?

Advertisements