How do you people use Max/Msp - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490654
Thanked 1,064 Times in 781 Posts
Re: How do you people use Max/Msp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
a.k.a. nerding out

you're taking my post way too defensively man
It sounded like you were saying it was a useless endeavor to learn max/msp because it would already have been something made before as a freeware plugin, as in, why bother programming if everything's already been made, to which I say, "no, there is plenty to learn through programming to bother".

Advertisements

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

yes and no I think it's... pointless in a good way? Knowledge for the sake of knowledge or something. I certainly don't see "nerd" as a an insult or the accumulation of arguably pointless knowledge as a bad thing. And I'm guilty of spending weeks building pedestrian effects and instruments, too.

Also I wish there were more nerds participating in the IDMf beat battle. The kids there are no fun.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
yes and no I think it's... pointless in a good way? Knowledge for the sake of knowledge or something. I certainly don't see "nerd" as a an insult or the accumulation of arguably pointless knowledge as a bad thing. And I'm guilty of spending weeks building pedestrian effects and instruments, too.

Also I wish there were more nerds participating in the IDMf beat battle. The kids there are no fun.
I try not to make stuff that's already available. It has to have something that other things don't or can't do.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Can anyone recommend a language that allows you to work directly with audio files (as opposed to streaming audio)?

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #25
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg
MC Status: 22144205

I mainly use Pd for generative ambient music: long evolving drones, with random artifacts happening, etc.
I recently made a patch I thought I could do a tutorial about, but then usually there doesn't seem to be a wide audience for this type of stuff, so meh...
Oh, and I use it for granular synthesis as well.

------------------
My Ep "I Am A Dead Man" is out on Xylem Records

Departure (Bonus Track) Video
Soundcloud: μ-metik
Facebook: μ-metik
Twitter:μ-metik
unknown__artist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #26
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 205110
Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Can anyone recommend a language that allows you to work directly with audio files (as opposed to streaming audio)?
I/O, you should take a look at ChucK if you haven't already.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Don't know that much about it, but it might be of some use seeing as you have a head for programming..unlike myself, I'm sorry to say. Wish I had the aptitude for it but I somehow could never get my head around coding, no matter how hard I tried. I prefer the TAPS program they brought out built off of ChucK.

Still, it might be something you would like try, even if it's not right for what your talking about here.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
CounterVulture
Microknight
CounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MC
MC Status: 1129890

Quote:
Is there any reason you wouldn't want to do it in Max/MSP? You can load a sound into a buffer then make controls to play it back through fx into another buffer that can be saved. The only downside is you have to wait the length of the audiofile for it to 'render'.

I work primarily realtime, so this is a shot in the dark, but I know that supercollider is made to work with audio input files. Seems to work like max in that you can load files, effect them into buffers, and resave results. The last example on this page loads an audio file and granularly resynthesizes it.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Of course, there's always c/c++ if you're into that sort of thing :b. If what you want is simple enough you could write a few little programs to read waves, process the data, and resave.

------------------
CounterVulture is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CounterVulture
I/O_Madness (19-08-2012)
Old 18-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

The tutorials for Max/MSP and help files walk you through most everything. You can cut and paste like mad out of them when you are just getting started.

I took a course in it that ended with us doing a performance based on a patch we created. Mine divided my midi controller into 4 instruments and 8 FX that could be placed anywhere in the room (based on volume on 4 speakers and amount of reverb) and then rotated in a direction and speed controlled by me while still maintaining their relative positions. Like a crazy tornado of sound. The actual composition of the song, which had to be played live, was pretty simple since I had to place each instrument and control what was going on with the motion of the sounds.

Was pretty fun, but I haven't used it much since. Took hours of programming to get it all working and my brain isn't smart like that anymore.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Muse-ic (08-09-2013)
Old 19-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #29
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I'm trying to do edits that go down to the sample level and max/msps stuff works on milliseconds, I haven't messed with Gen~ yet, however. Anyone do something with Gen~?

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 19-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
CounterVulture
Microknight
CounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MCCounterVulture is a savage MC

Quote:
I'm trying to do edits that go down to the sample level and max/msps stuff works on milliseconds, I haven't messed with Gen~ yet, however. Anyone do something with Gen~?
I used Gen to extend my stutter fx/ buffer player a bit. Sample level addressing is possible in regular max/msp but its really finicky, gen makes things a lot easier. Peek and Poke~ objects were way easier to use for dynamic looping when wired up in gen~.

Perhaps you should try it!

------------------
Old 19-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
CounterVulture
Microknight

Also, If you do try gen integration and have any specific questions feel free to ask. It sounds like our projects cover quite a bit of the same area. I could find my old patches for those if need be.

------------------
Thanks to CounterVulture
I/O_Madness (19-08-2012)
Old 28-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
Oscifer
Minor Glitch
Oscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really nice
Milwaukee, WI
MC Status: 410

I've just started with it. I made a drone machine with it, but it was boring as all hell. Right now I'm working on a reverb/delay with a step-sequenced frequency shifter. Still trying to get that part right.
Oscifer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
SpTk
Radial Developer
SpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MCSpTk is a savage MC
MC Status: 230919

Mostly use it for audio processing stuff, glitching, granular, the type of thing. At the moment I am in the very early stages of building an installation using and Arduino board and sensors feeding data into max. Exciting stuff Arduino.

------------------
SpTk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SpTk
I/O_Madness (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

i've been working with fft~ a little recently.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
Wutzlhofer
Minor Glitch
Wutzlhofer will become famous soon enough
Berlin
MC Status: 60

for example to set a threshhold for an audio input and to trigger a sample (or send midi) if the Volume raises above the threshhold...

------------------
VOID LOOP ( ) Live Electronic Music From Berlin

Visit us on our homepage: https://voidloop.de
Check a video from our Live-Set: https://youtu.be/PX-IgdQPYPE
Wutzlhofer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Quote:
Supercollider, but perhaps I have misunderstood your question?

Though I use PD, I should also add something to this thread. Write now I am trying to turn my PadKontrol into a step sequencer using native mode. Its as much an exercise in learning how to work with hardware using sysex as anything else.

Last edited by TL072; 06-10-2013 at 01:17 PM..
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #37
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown__artist View Post
I mainly use Pd for generative ambient music: long evolving drones, with random artifacts happening, etc.
I recently made a patch I thought I could do a tutorial about, but then usually there doesn't seem to be a wide audience for this type of stuff, so meh...
Oh, and I use it for granular synthesis as well.
No no, please do both. I will be an audience.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
Supercollider, but perhaps I have misunderstood your question?
I posted that over a year ago.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 08-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #39
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
I posted that over a year ago.
Dang, you're right. Well, hopefully you are an expert with Supercollider or some other lang now.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #40
Silent Strangers
IDMf Artist
Silent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MCSilent Strangers is a savage MC
Fort Lauderdale, United States
MC Status: 6513132

Most of my MAx use, althought Ill admit to slacking on the Max side the past year, when I get a few hours to make tunes, I don't want to be programming.

I digress, most of my max work is based in Sequencers, little odd and experimental ones that give off different rhythms and melodies than Id think about, let alone program.

Advertisements

------------------
Silent Strangers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote