Electronic Drumkit
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 28-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1310
Electronic Drumkit

Considering buying an electronic drum kit as a way of learning drums without pissing off the neighbors.

As well as this, I was hoping they could be used for creating more interesting beats in music. Does anyone else have any experience of using electronic drums and is it a good way to make beats for your songs, or is it just unnecessary hassle?

Advertisements

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 218010
Thanked 4,360 Times in 3,237 Posts
Re: Electronic Drumkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
Considering buying an electronic drum kit as a way of learning drums without pissing off the neighbors.

As well as this, I was hoping they could be used for creating more interesting beats in music. Does anyone else have any experience of using electronic drums and is it a good way to make beats for your songs, or is it just unnecessary hassle?

I don't play the drums, but I'd imagine there's a big difference between the two skill-sets..drumming and making beats. I mean, knowing how to drum would certainly be an advantage for making beats, if you're a good drummer..but you don't need to know how to drum in order to put a beat sequence together on a PC/Mac.

Still, I think the underlying motivation should be what matters here..do you want to learn to drum for the sake of drumming?..or is it merely that you think being able to drum will help you make beats? If it's the latter, then I'd say forget about it for now. If, on the other hand you really want to learn, then go for with all you've got.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
MothSound (28-10-2015)
Old 28-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589580
Thanked 7,973 Times in 5,602 Posts

Yet another person who isnt a drummer answering...but the whole question is a bit spacious really...I mean...I would love to add layers from a live played drum kit to my tunes...but then there is that whole learning how to play thing that will take a few years to get decent at...

also seems like a somewhat expenisve investment when there are plenty of software options...maybe trying something like a Nord or Korg drum pad might be a nice compromise...or even a simple set of MPC style pads on a MIDI comtroller

If you want to learn drums, go for it...or if you just need that sound, go for it...but it doesnt necessarily equal more interesting drums in my mind...

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
MothSound (28-10-2015)
Old 28-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I don't play the drums, but I'd imagine there's a big difference between the two skill-sets..drumming and making beats. I mean, knowing how to drum would certainly be an advantage for making beats, if you're a good drummer..but you don't need to know how to drum in order to put a beat sequence together on a PC/Mac.

Still, I think the underlying motivation should be what matters here..do you want to learn to drum for the sake of drumming?..or is it merely that you think being able to drum will help you make beats? If it's the latter, then I'd say forget about it for now. If, on the other hand you really want to learn, then go for with all you've got.
I think the main reason for getting them to learn drums and I was hoping they might improve my beat making as a bonus. I think there probably is a big difference between the two skillsets, although maybe experienced drummers would naturally come up with beats that are influenced by their knowledge of drumming. Possibly.

Either way I suppose like all equipment its not necessary as great music can be made with just a laptop, not necessary, but a shit load of fun all the same.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MothSound
A.M (28-10-2015)
Old 28-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589580
Thanked 7,973 Times in 5,602 Posts

Yea man, if you just want to do it to do it...I really don't see a problem with that at all.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (28-10-2015)
Old 28-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 218010
Thanked 4,360 Times in 3,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea man, if you just want to do it to do it...I really don't see a problem with that at all.
^ Yoda speaks..listen you should be doing. The force runs strong in him, it does.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
aizoyurei
Granular Poster
aizoyurei is just really niceaizoyurei is just really niceaizoyurei is just really niceaizoyurei is just really niceaizoyurei is just really nice
Osaka
MC Status: 410

Getting a V-kit is a totally smart thing to do. Learning while jamming with your own tunes is not only a fun way to practice but it's great to work with a metronome to help build your inner metronome. Depending on which V-kit you get and depending on what kind of music you make will determine the ease of setting everything up.

Do you live in a house or an apartment? If it's an apartment, then you'll still have problems with (downstairs) neighbors because of the vibrations from the kick and the sound of the pads. If you're in a house you'll be just fine.

You have a LOT of options too.

There's the Roland and Yamaha kits that mimic real kits in that they have pads for kick, snare, toms, and cymbals. These are seriously easy to connect to a DAW as most (if not all of them) have USB midi. If you use Ableton, connecting one of these to a drum rack or your favorite VST is super easy.

The other options are a lot more compact but not your conventional drum setup. However if you're serious about learning drums, their pads work wonderfully for practicing rudiments, paradiddles, etc. These options are the Roland SPD-SX, Roland Octapad, and Yamaha's Equivalent of the SPD.

The Spd-Sx has 9 pads and sampling abilities. It's basically an oversized MPC but with zero sequencing abilities. Works wonderfully with Ableton (USB midi) and you can connect up to 4 more pads to it. However it has no hihat controller pedal option. So you'll have to use one pad for open hihat and one for closed and link them together.

The Octapad has 8 pads and zero sampling ability but has a bunch of internal sounds and can sequence. It has the ability to connect extra pads including a hihat controller pedal. Despite it not being able to sample, it works wonderfully with Ableton (USB midi) and you can use your favorite VST or drum racks with it.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Yamaha one but it looks pretty good too.

Last edited by aizoyurei; 25-11-2015 at 05:07 PM..
aizoyurei is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aizoyurei
MothSound (29-11-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Sons of Achab
IDMf Artist
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
In a beautiful place out in the country
MC Status: 4760

Quote:
Learning while jamming with your own tunes is not only a fun way to practice but it's great to work with a metronome to help build your inner metronome.
Agreed, but if you are a begginer, there's hours (months, years?) of practice before being able to properly jam with your own tunes. But it's worth it, especially if you want to add some "human" feeling in your music.
Sons of Achab is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
absolutesound73
IDMf's latest spammer
absolutesound73 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Achab View Post
Agreed, but if you are a begginer, there's hours (months, years?) of practice before being able to properly jam with your own tunes. But it's worth it, especially if you want to add some "human" feeling in your music.
I use a very old synth and it's great for that
absolutesound73 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
f r
Minor Glitch
f r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the roughf r is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

i think buying an electronic drum could be a great deal, both for the neighbours and yourself to discover some new sounds and approaches. couple of my friends are drummers and they have an el drum in their apartment and they say its the best thing they got, for practice and for fun. also for the guests haha, they love to play with it

Advertisements

f r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote