A Good Hardware Synth for Under 500 - Page 17
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #321
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts
Re: A Good Hardware Synth for Under 500

Well, since EVERY synth ever that only costs ~500 is listed here... ;p

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #322
camusny
Learning The Ropes
camusny is currently spamming hard
NYC
MC Status: 10

I've been really happy with some of the lead sounds I've been generating from the Moog Minitaur. Although it's limited to a 4 octave range, as it's an "analog bass synthesizer" it can still do some wild things.

The cost for that one was about $425 after taxes here in NY.

Last edited by camusny; 04-03-2017 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: typo
camusny is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #323
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Well perhaps wait for the Behringer Moog Model D clone to release? It's supposed to be about $400 when released.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #324
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

Hi,

You could start with a basic but decent modular rack, how big depends on if you build them yourself, buy them used or new. The way i would take if i was you, although modular gear leads to serious problems like severe GAS. Once you start there is no way back as I've heard. If going full modular is too scary start with semi modular like Arturia Microbrute or Doepfer Dark energy.

But another way is to buy some hardware synths. I would really recommend Volca series from Korg, have used them myself (my first synths actually) very good bang for the buck. Buy Bass, Beats and FM for example and you still have enough money for couple of cheap-end pedals to modify signal.

Or you could also go more digital and buy Microkorg or minilogue, both also very popular choice. (never owned one, but have them)

Another intresting choice would be Critter & Guirati - Organelle. BAsicly it does what you make it, you can customize it to be sampler of FX box or a synth.

Hope it helps and hope I do not repeat others too badly (Did not have time to read the whole topic)

Cheers
DeadCat
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #325
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I bought a minilogue a month or so ago and I am in love with it. 4 Voice analogue, but with different modes so you can use it as a mono bass synth, 2 voice duophonic, arp and all sorts of other ways. Dedicated knobs for (pretty much) everything so you can dive right in and an enormous sound palette, lovely squelchy filter, 2 oscillators, LFO, and even a delay effect built in. I really can't stress enough how versatile this thing is, I'm getting roaring bass sounds, delicate pads, harmonic percussion, all sorts. I'm thrilled with my purchase, I wanted a hardware synth for a long time and I really feel like this is the only one I need.
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Failsafe
jbvdb493 (06-05-2017)
Old 14-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #326
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I'm sure many great suggestions here. But here's my two cents.

I love the Korg Volca Bass for a cheap bass synth and with 3 different oscillators it can get pretty grungy. I then sometimes pass it through a distortion box for further noise, but I like my synths more noisy than most.

I was surprised by the Volca bass because most youtube videos of it sound like 8-bit tracks only so i thought it couldn't get really phat sounds. But it really does.

I also think the Moog WerkStatt is really cool. Not as versatile and user friendly but a great sound and a whole lot of fun. Also getting the Arturia Keystep and using with CV so you can play a bigger board.
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #327
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinationsoun View Post
I'm sure many great suggestions here. But here's my two cents.

I love the Korg Volca Bass for a cheap bass synth and with 3 different oscillators it can get pretty grungy. I then sometimes pass it through a distortion box for further noise, but I like my synths more noisy than most.

I was surprised by the Volca bass because most youtube videos of it sound like 8-bit tracks only so i thought it couldn't get really phat sounds. But it really does.

I also think the Moog WerkStatt is really cool. Not as versatile and user friendly but a great sound and a whole lot of fun. Also getting the Arturia Keystep and using with CV so you can play a bigger board.
I kinda hate youtube demos of synths. Most of them don't really show off what any given synth can do. If it isn't Nick from Sonic State I don't want to watch it : )

------------------
Old 15-07-2017, 01:25 AM   #328
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

me niether,but have i mentioned minilouge.oh yeah i have...meh:problemofficer:
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #329
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9160

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I kinda hate youtube demos of synths. Most of them don't really show off what any given synth can do. If it isn't Nick from Sonic State I don't want to watch it : )
I have to agree with that. I mean take the crappy demo vidoes of new synths recently, like the Behringer model D and the Roland SE2. What do they think poeple use these things for. Both the demos were like, put a sequencer on and plip plop plip plop FFS! They're 3 oscillator mono synths, dail in a nice fat bass, or a dirty lead and give it some welly.

So, I don't think the Roland SE 02 has been mentioned yet, or the Behringer D, and they are not in the shops yet either, but they are 2 more up and coming options, that do show promise.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
relic (15-07-2017)
Old 15-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #330
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
I have to agree with that. I mean take the crappy demo vidoes of new synths recently, like the Behringer model D and the Roland SE2. What do they think poeple use these things for. Both the demos were like, put a sequencer on and plip plop plip plop FFS! They're 3 oscillator mono synths, dail in a nice fat bass, or a dirty lead and give it some welly.

So, I don't think the Roland SE 02 has been mentioned yet, or the Behringer D, and they are not in the shops yet either, but they are 2 more up and coming options, that do show promise.
Or I love the synth demos where we are hearing everything through a $1k of eventide reverb and delay...so we have no clue what the synth actually sounds like :p

Yea, those will be two good ones, I'm sure, when they are released.

Also, just for the fuck of it: MS-20 mini is sure not to dissapoint.

------------------
Old 17-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #331
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Or I love the synth demos where we are hearing everything through a $1k of eventide reverb and delay...so we have no clue what the synth actually sounds like :p

Yea, those will be two good ones, I'm sure, when they are released.

Also, just for the fuck of it: MS-20 mini is sure not to dissapoint.
Agreed. So everything is usually squashed with compression and also a low quality digital recording so there's no wonder why it sounds so small and bad. Lol

But yea the volca bass is incredibly fat for such an inexpensive device. Oh and I also LOVE the Artuia s minibrute. You can find them used for decent prices. Haven't tried the microbrute but probably similar sound. You can get some very gross yet pleasing sounds with it. I will say there's a great YouTube video where the producer from portishead (Adrian Utley) is messing with the minibrute. It's worth watching. It's on the SourceDistributionTv channel
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #332
tristcarmichael
Analog Lurker
tristcarmichael is a glorious beacon of lighttristcarmichael is a glorious beacon of lighttristcarmichael is a glorious beacon of lighttristcarmichael is a glorious beacon of lighttristcarmichael is a glorious beacon of light
Cape Town
MC Status: 460

What does everyone think of the Yamaha reface CS synth? Its quite cool and simple to use I find.
tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #333
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

I remember the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
coming out.
Wait long enough and they make remakes of remakes.
Anyway, that was 599 when it came out in '96, so this looks like good value although it's oly half the number of voices.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #334
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristcarmichael View Post
What does everyone think of the Yamaha reface CS synth? Its quite cool and simple to use I find.
Seems somewhat limited unless you need a good approximation of that sound in hardware format. For the money there's other w a lot more options for sound design. Not anti these classic synth reboots but it depends on what you want/need.

------------------
Thanks to relic
lolirl (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #335
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

Relic makes a good point, but on the other hand, nobody would bat an eyelid at spending 250 on a guitar (and that only makes one sound).
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #336
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32710

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Relic makes a good point, but on the other hand, nobody would bat an eyelid at spending 250 on a guitar (and that only makes one sound).
250? More like 1250!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #337
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Quote:
If it isn't Nick from Sonic State I don't want to watch it : )
Fuck yessssss!
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #338
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238329

Quote:
Katsunori Ujiie of musictrackjp is great. Subtitles available, assuming you do not understand Japanese.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #339
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote