MIDI xyz controller
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64260
Thanked 1,285 Times in 948 Posts
MIDI xyz controller

Any suggestions for a pressure/velocity sensitive xy pad MIDI controller to be used inside of Logic to control synth and effect plugins?

Any options beyon QuNeo or Korg nanoPad?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Elevator Muzak and Kenny G mashups
Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565180
Thanked 7,485 Times in 5,285 Posts
Re: MIDI xyz controller

Korg KP3 Plus will do this, but that is probably more than you want to spend.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Not really. But I figured this was more of an effect module than a MIDI controller. I thought about this one, though. Will it work to control VST based effect plugins inside the box in a dynamic manner? And how painful is the MIDI mapping going to be?

------------------

Old 08-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565180
Thanked 7,485 Times in 5,285 Posts

Yea, you can use the XY pad as a MIDI controller. I'm not sure what it is like in practice, I sold mine before I tried it. But the KP3 plus doesn't load as a VST at all.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I ordered the QuNeo and will let you know if it delivers.

I'd like a dedicated pad just for effect modules. Probably one of my dumber ideas, but we'll see...

I liked the reviews:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

And you can use it to control Maschine:

I am thinking about controlling effect parameters with this. Should be fun...

Last edited by liquid_air; 08-01-2016 at 12:44 AM..

------------------

Currently Listening To: 18th century Irish folk music
Thanks to liquid_air
relic (08-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

How about using your trackpad for now?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
The other central control component of most laptops is the trackpad, and this too has music making potential. If you're a Mac user, LSD Programming's Track Master (available for 2.99 on the Mac App Store) is the software that helps you to realise this.

Track Master gives you both Notes and X/Y modes to work with. These are pretty self-explanatory, with the former enabling you to input musical notes (you can play with up to 11 fingers at a time, theoretically…) and the latter adding X/Y pad functionality.

If you're a PC user, try Livelab's free Touchpad 2 MIDI, which not only allows you to configure an X/Y pad, but also lets you turn your trackpad into a panel of buttons and sliders.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
liquid_air (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

QuNeo arrived yesterday and it's really working well. Using MIDI learn and the CoMA programming is a breeze. Its like 16 xyz pads and you can map it easily to multiple effect modules.

If you are using Maschine it also provides an avenue to have macro control while using the arpeggiator. That's really neat for controlling Abl3 in playing a 303.

Really nice little gadget. Given what it can do, it's really not that expensive, either.

------------------

Old 29-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
NiDBiLD
Regular Freak
NiDBiLD has a spectacular aura aboutNiDBiLD has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I use a Wacom Intuos, and jack it up using Osculator (for mac). It's made for painting, but is really awesome as a midi input.

You get mappable X and Y, as well as pen pressure. That's XYZ right there. But you also get pen tilt X+Y, so you're up to 5 dimensions.

There are also two buttons on the pen. You could use those for switching to different params when pressed.

Most models also have a separate input for touch, so you get separate X+Y parameter control if you switch from pen to finger.

Fully configured, it gives you control of up to three sets of five params at a time, plus two touch params. So 17 in total.

Advertisements

NiDBiLD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote