Synth with Vocoder or just buy a mic??
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
stevemac
Soundscaper
stevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MC
MC Status: 361840
Synth with Vocoder or just buy a mic??

Hey guys!

So I'm super tempted to go ahead and get myself a MicroKorg or a Mininova (for instance) as I sure do love vocoding and want to get in on the action for my own productions.

However, these two options aren't going to be my main synthesis tool seen as they are 'mainly' performance synths and the attraction is the fun and quick sounds rather than in depth synthesis (although the minnova does have a good synth engine and software control interface). I also have the ableton vocoder and Robotronic by Sugarbytes.

Therefore, does it make a huge amount more sense to go and get a mic instead? My thinking is that using software vocoders I can alter the sound coming in from the mic - the same as if I was using the MicroKorg or MiniNova, except I will probably now find myself with a much better mic that I can use to record other stuff too?

Brain says Mic, heart saying get a MiniNova - but i just don;t know if I'll use it enough??

Advertisements

stevemac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010
Re: Synth with Vocoder or just buy a mic??

Personally I think ImageLine vocodex and Eiosis Els vocoder are more versatile than the ones you mentiond but that's a matter of personal taste.

If you already own a physical synth or MIDI-keyboard it would make more sense getting a decent mic. Then again if you only have a MIDI-keyboard the analogue sound of the MircoKorg or (the amazing) Mininova might appeal to you and give you a little extra edge over the VST-based sounds.

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Spiritos
stevemac (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
stevemac
Soundscaper
stevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MCstevemac is a savage MC

Yep, I think for the time being I'm pretty much set on sticking with Sylenth and Alchemy as my ‘go to’ synths, but I really like the idea of fiddling with the Mininova and having it there - even if it's not my main synth. It can also replace my midi keyboard as I'm already used to small keys (currently use a MicroKey midi keyboard after getting rid of a much bigger one).

The mic route remains the better option as far as I can see… but I find this quite annoying.

I’ve been doing a bit of digging but I don’t have much experience in this area really, but what would be a ‘better’ (other than the R3 or UltraNova) that might be a good vocoder synth?

EDIT: Quick question – If I got the mininova, would I be able to use the mic to route audio through into another vocoder VST like Vocodex or similar? Just wondering…

Last edited by stevemac; 05-07-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
I’ve been doing a bit of digging but I don’t have much experience in this area really, but what would be a ‘better’ (other than the R3 or UltraNova) that might be a good vocoder synth?
Neither have I but here are some good threads with comparissons and alternatives, The Viper is recommended a couple of times as it comes with a 32-band vocoder and is of a higher quality build (without a mic though but the mic on the Mininova doesn't seem to be all that anyway..).

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
EDIT: Quick question – If I got the mininova, would I be able to use the mic to route audio through into another vocoder VST like Vocodex or similar? Just wondering…
Of course!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
stevemac
Soundscaper

OK so I went to the music tech shop at lunchtime and after playing with the Mininova, had to get it
Old 05-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Fantastic! Impulse rapid buys are always the most rewarding and fun. Enjoy it, man

------------------
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

Honestly the microphone would be the most economical buy, since it seems you already have a keyboard controller (?)...and there are quite a few software vocoders out there that would work fine using a real mic. I have a friend with that MicroKorg and the little white mic is horrible.

Anyway, you already popped on something so water under bridge.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Honestly the microphone would be the most economical buy, since it seems you already have a keyboard controller (?)...and there are quite a few software vocoders out there that would work fine using a real mic. I have a friend with that MicroKorg and the little white mic is horrible.

Anyway, you already popped on something so water under bridge.

ni razor.
worth it just for the synth.
includes a good vocoder which daft punk has now ruined for everyone.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

DO NOT get the Mininova, that thing sucks... I recommend getting the Microkorg - I own one. You can get a lot of great sounds out of the korg, and it is an analog emulator, basically. The mic for the korg is pretty horrible, and it's only a 1.5 jack - I'm not sure how you can connect a condenser mic to the korg for vocoding - if you find this out, please give me a link. Software vocoder's can be very useful and can sound legit - you can easily tweak the dry and wet signal to make them sound different. There are lots of vocoding plugins also that you can check out.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
stevemac
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
DO NOT get the Mininova, that thing sucks... I recommend getting the Microkorg - I own one. You can get a lot of great sounds out of the korg, and it is an analog emulator, basically. The mic for the korg is pretty horrible, and it's only a 1.5 jack - I'm not sure how you can connect a condenser mic to the korg for vocoding - if you find this out, please give me a link. Software vocoder's can be very useful and can sound legit - you can easily tweak the dry and wet signal to make them sound different. There are lots of vocoding plugins also that you can check out.
Really? This seems to be the opposite of all other sources I can find (and talk to).

I've got one now and I'm really happy so far. I think the quality of vocoder, well reviewed synth engine and the fact that programming is easier were the main factors.

gOlem - I have Razor and used it a lot for a while, but definitely plan to use it - might try some vocoding on top of a vocoder This may sound terrible!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin

Quote:
Really? This seems to be the opposite of all other sources I can find (and talk to).

I've got one now and I'm really happy so far. I think the quality of vocoder, well reviewed synth engine and the fact that programming is easier were the main factors.

gOlem - I have Razor and used it a lot for a while, but definitely plan to use it - might try some vocoding on top of a vocoder This may sound terrible!
The mininova won't get you classic analog sounds, that's all.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 26-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Well, whatever opinions you have about the Mininova, it would be nice to hear from someone that actually owns one.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich View Post
Well, whatever opinions you have about the Mininova, it would be nice to hear from someone that actually owns one.
I've watched several review videos on it, read many forum posts, and demo'd one at the store. I was very disappointed in it, and found that it paled in comparison to the Microkorg or the xl.

------------------
Current featured track:
Old 27-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #15
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501

I use the vocoder from time to time on my Microkorg XL its pretty good, the best software vocoder i ever used was NI vokator but for some strange reason NI stopped supporting it and I've never heard a better software vocoder since.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #16
Headpilot
Soundwave Mangler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3010

Last edited by Headpilot; 12-04-2018 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: .

Advertisements

Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote