Recording live automation in logic
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
pBrane
Sample Destroyer
pBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Recording live automation in logic

Anyone know if it's possible to achieve the following?

I've got EFM1 up and I've been playing with the parameters whilst the synth loops on a single note. What I want to do is press record and have logic record, as audio files, the result of me changing parameters whilst it plays loops on this note. I know you can record automation with the touch/write etc features but I want the result pasted as audio files as if you were doing takes with a live instrument

Thanks in advance

Last edited by pBrane; 19-04-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
pBrane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
s'liM
Granular Poster
s'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MC
MC Status: 8389235
Re: Recording live automation in logic

Bus the software instrument track to an audio track & record (?)
s'liM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
pBrane
Sample Destroyer
pBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura about

Great idea but unfortunately still doesn't work :/

------------------
Old 28-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
s'liM
Granular Poster
s'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MC

My last post was a little brief, but this ought to work.

1. Change the output of the track with the EFM1 from 'Output 1-2' to 'Bus1'
2. Change the output of Bus1 from 'Output 1-2' to No Output
3. Create a new Audio track, and change the input from 'Input 1-2' to 'Bus1'
4. Click record enable on the Audio track.
5. Select the EFM1 track, and bring up the EFM1 synth.
6. Click record, and change the parameters on the EFM1 synth as it records.

This should create an audio file on the audio track with the changes in the sound that you've made whilst recording.
Old 29-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
pBrane
Sample Destroyer

Thanks again but that still doesn't work and I'm certain I set everything up the way you specified. Have you got this method to work on logic before?

------------------
Old 30-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
s'liM
Granular Poster

I set this up on Logic (Express 8) to check that this works before posting the 2nd post. Not sure why it's not working for you. Don't know what else to suggest without looking at the project folder. PMing an e-mail address, if you want me to check it you could zip the project folder up and e-mail it to me.
Thanks to s'liM
pBrane (30-04-2013)
Old 30-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
pBrane
Sample Destroyer

Nice one. Does your method allow you to hear the software instrument as you make the changes? I'm using pro 9 by the way

------------------
Old 30-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
s'liM
Granular Poster

Yes, if you set it up this way you can hear the instrument as you make the changes.

BTW, you must have record enabled on the audio track for this to work, (but don't need Input monitoring enabled.) Also if you don't change the output of Bus 1 to No Output then you'll hear two different instances of the same track as you're recording.

Oh, and if it works on Express 8 it should be the same on Pro 9.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
pBrane
Sample Destroyer

I think the problem lies in how I don't have an option to record enable the audio track. The usual 'r' button on the audio track does not exist. Any thoughts?

Last edited by pBrane; 03-05-2013 at 01:12 PM..

------------------
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
pBrane
Sample Destroyer

I've been trying to attach a screenshot of how I have it set up but I keep on getting the following error message despite the picture being so compressed that you can hardly make out the details

"The text that you have entered is too long (326782 characters). Please shorten it to 20000 characters long."

------------------
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
s'liM
Granular Poster

Quote:
I think the problem lies in how I don't have an option to record enable the audio track. The usual 'r' button on the audio track does not exist. Any thoughts?
Curiously, when I opened the file there is a record enable button on the audio track.
(Oh, and when I tried to attach a screenshot of the mixer the file was too big as well.)

So yeah, select audio track, click R button, select software instrument track, bring up EFM1, record with software instrument track selected and use the mouse to change parameters on the EFM1.

BTW, I don't think that you can use the Caps Lock keyboard to send control change messages (although I might be wrong.)

Anyway, emailing you a different project folder which should hopefully work for you. Let me know whether this works or not.
Thanks to s'liM
pBrane (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
pBrane
Sample Destroyer

Just got your email and opened it in logic. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same problem of not being able to record with the audio track. Also, I can only hear the EFM1 when I turn on input monitoring on the audio track

------------------
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
s'liM
Granular Poster

If you right-click/ctrl-click a track and click on 'configure track header...' is the checkbox by 'Record enable' on? That's the only thing that I can think of.

Also, if you're not recording or if you don't have Record enable on on the audio track, then you'll only hear the audio with input monitoring on. With Record enable on, you'll hear the audio but only when recording.

If you can hear the audio when Input monitoring is enabled then the routing should be set up right, it's just a question of having record enable on on the audio track.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
pBrane
Sample Destroyer

Yeh, record enable is checked. Very peculiar how it's working in express 8 and not in 9

Advertisements

------------------