Transitions are my weakpoint.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753450
Transitions are my weakpoint.

So i always get this annoying problem... I try to have 2 parts for the main section of a song. So it drops, goes for a few phrases, then changes up into something a bit different. My problem is I always have a hard time changing the mood from the first part to the second part... I dunno if it's just the transitions, or the first part just not sounding right with the second half? Example is posted below!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The part from 24 seconds to 33 seconds is the switch I'm talking about.

I think maybe because the second half is a bit more orchestral sounding? But if it's all in key, shouldn't it not matter? I think the pitch bends may have made my second bassline kind of out of key or something too, but I'm not sure. Whenever i pit bend in ableton it always messed up all my midi for some reason... super annoying.

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510
Re: Transitions are my weakpoint.

I dunno, if you get good at transitions your tracks will then be too cool and soundcloud would implode!

Kidding aside, that actually seemed to work, not sure what else you want. You could try bringing in a few notes of the next part on the last bar of the first part perhaps.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver

I'm starting to think maybe the bass in the second part is more powerful than the first one? ahaha. I dunno, something sound off to me.

Last edited by Chaotix; 06-09-2016 at 02:37 AM..

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

Transitions are always tough! I think we all tend to over think them as listeners, but when you hear other peoples music the transitions seem to seamless even if they are just abrupt changes. I dig the switch in your song. Lol, I personally think you should just keep it and move on
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SadSandwich
Chaotix (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584030
Thanked 7,862 Times in 5,530 Posts

Timbre is as important as harmony. Just because its all in key doesnt mean itll automatically sound OK. And even if it id all in key doesnt mean you made a good song writing choice.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Chozo Tull (09-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSandwich View Post
Transitions are always tough! I think we all tend to over think them as listeners, but when you hear other peoples music the transitions seem to seamless even if they are just abrupt changes. I dig the switch in your song. Lol, I personally think you should just keep it and move on

Yeah, you're probably right dude. I'm sure the million things you can find with your own stuff, others don't even notice it. I can't just move on though, that's my problem haha. I have to fiddle and fiddle until something sounds better to me. I just hate when you can't figure out what it is haha.

------------------
Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 37960

I wanted to get better at my guitar picking. Was telling a buddy.. "Trying to figure out how to get a lot faster at picking." My bud says "why don't you just practice picking?"

So I practiced picking a whole fucking lot. Now I am a very fast picker.

You'll get further just working on it a whole lot rather than thinking about it.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
rewir3d (09-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
Syllix
Eternal Echoer
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1097447

Listen to a variety of different genres and songs, get a notepad and write down notes about the transitions you hear in a bunch of songs. Use this knowledge combined with a lot of practice and you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Just know that there are many things that can work depending on the song and genre. Could be white noise sweeps, adding octave / harmony notes / reversing part of a section, or adding more purple. Y'know?

Also I see you're in Vancouver too. Maybe shoot me a PM some time. I need to get back to making music!

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 528120

I think I'm rather good at transitions, which had caused me to over use them I think..

I'm at work so I didn't get a chance to listen to your example.

However a few things that I do.

1. Try and bring some of the previous section into the beginning of the next using delays/reverb/echo/etc...
2. If your introducing a new element try fading that in before the change.
3. If your introducing a new element try having it show up in the previous section in a effected manner, such as lower volume, washed out with reverb as an ambient element, etc..
4. Use a extreme break such as drop out all current elements prior to the change, allowing the listener to disjoint themselves from the previous section
5.choose the dominate element in previous section and use effects/eq to cause it to become either a major focal point or disjointed from the rest of the track to cause the listener to be distracted before the change
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42415649
Thanked 5,633 Times in 3,657 Posts

Make space. That's pretty much it. When you make space, you can choose how something ends and the next begins. I'm also talking about music.

(I'm pre-coffee and very Yoda atm, but its still true).

------------------
2nd Aug 2018, your audio dreams come true:

Its free, grab it, contribute if you like it. Then make some of your own and join in.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Chozo Tull (13-09-2016)
Old 13-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

^ not sure you even need to drink coffee then.

This is good advice.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
So i always get this annoying problem... I try to have 2 parts for the main section of a song. So it drops, goes for a few phrases, then changes up into something a bit different. My problem is I always have a hard time changing the mood from the first part to the second part... I dunno if it's just the transitions, or the first part just not sounding right with the second half? Example is posted below!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The part from 24 seconds to 33 seconds is the switch I'm talking about.

I think maybe because the second half is a bit more orchestral sounding? But if it's all in key, shouldn't it not matter? I think the pitch bends may have made my second bassline kind of out of key or something too, but I'm not sure. Whenever i pit bend in ableton it always messed up all my midi for some reason... super annoying.
Maybe just take a measure, put some random crap in, forget about it? That's what I'd do.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote