How to send on one midi channel, receive on another? Software solution?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 16-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810
How to send on one midi channel, receive on another? Software solution?

I've ran into a problem running my qy-70 through the jd-xi. The jd-xi only receives on channels 1,2,3, and drums on channel 10, leaving me with one option for channels 4-9 and 11-16...I have to move them to a whole new song and place them on channels 1-3. So basically, I have to split one song into 3 or 4 songs and do a lot of bouncing between songs while recording.

Is there some sort of software solution that will let me send from the original channels on the qy-70 and map them to be received on channels 1-3 on the jd-xi?

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oDDgOD
lolirl (16-05-2016)
Old 16-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744049891
Thanked 7,651 Times in 4,716 Posts
Re: How to send on one midi channel, receive on another? Software solution?

Dude...
please try to be very specific.
It's no good talking about 'songs' unless you specify how the piece of hardware works first since not all hardware works the same way and 'song' is also a fixed musical term in the wider sense.
I want to help you but at the moment you're talking in riddles.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for software solutions.
Old 16-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Dude...
please try to be very specific.
It's no good talking about 'songs' unless you specify how the piece of hardware works first since not all hardware works the same way and 'song' is also a fixed musical term in the wider sense.
I want to help you but at the moment you're talking in riddles.
Sorry I've never really dealt with a lot of midi so my terminology probably isn't very clear. Referring to a song as the collective grouping of the up to 16 channels/tracks. 16 channels=1 song on the qy-70. However, the jd-xi will only receive on 4 specific channels, one which is drum specific.

So let say I've placed instruments onto 10 channels in Song 1 on the qy-70. The jd-xi will only record channels 1-3 and 10. Leaving me screwed on channels 4-9. The only way to get the jd-xi to acknowledge those channels is to cut them from the current song and paste them into their own song. So I would move channels 4-6 from Song 1 to channels 1-3 on Song 2, and move channels 7-9 from Song 1 to channels 1-3 on Song 3.

Basically I will have to cut one song into 3 or 4 so I can have all tracks placed within channels 1-3 in order to get the jd-xi to receive them.

This will be a huge pain in the ass and it seems like there would some sort of software solution that would let me send, say, channels 4-9 on the qy-70 to be received on channels 1-3 on the jd-xi. Then I could just mute the parts I'm not currently recording.

Last edited by oDDgOD; 16-05-2016 at 06:32 PM..

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
Thanks to oDDgOD
lolirl (16-05-2016)
Old 16-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

lol, right gotcha.
Yeah you nearly figured it out for yourself...
Mute the parts you cannot record.
Record parts 1-3.
Now mute them.
Take parts 4-6 and change the MIDI channels of them to send on midi channels 1-3.
Et voila.
Continue until your song is in your DAW.
Old 16-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Take parts 4-6 and change the MIDI channels of them to send on midi channels 1-3.
This is the core of my question. Is there a software option that will let me send channels 4-6 from the qy-70 and have them received on the jd-xi's channels 1-3, or is my only option bouncing them around on the 70? Neither piece of equipment has any internal mapping option to let me set this up so I was hoping to find a software middle man that could handle it.

------------------
Old 16-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

I think that MIDI-ox will do that but I'm not 100%.

What I'm saying though is stay in the same song in the QY70, just literally change the channels of the tracks you need to.
There's no need to create new 'songs' for all your separate parts and copy them over.
You should be able to play the parts all from the same 'song' by simply changing the MIDI channel they're transmitting on, unless there's some weird system rules on the QY-70 I've overlooked.
Most MIDI synths will let you change any bit of MIDI information to any channel (except 10 which was always traditionally reserved for drums under the original MIDI standardisation).
Old 16-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544127
Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,352 Posts

dude.

record all the midi channels from the QY into Reaper in one pass. Re-assign the midi output from the channels in Reaper to send to the Roland accordingly.

:edit: to clarify, track the QY first, and then do all of your midi playback from Reaper's midi sequencer. You can then freely re-assign channels as you see fit.

That way you can record individual midi channels playing back the JDxi into reaper as audio and then be able to eq/compress/mix them all individually.

(:

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
oDDgOD (17-05-2016)
Old 16-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

you can also have reaper be the midi clock source so that all of your midi tracks from the QY work on the grid in case you would like to mess with your arrangement before you begin tracking audio parts from the JdXi

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (16-05-2016)
Old 16-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

also, instead of this "Thanks" system here on IDMF, can we get a link directly to Paypal?

studio and live rig consulting is part of what i do for a living. (:

------------------
Old 16-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
you can also have reaper be the midi clock source so that all of your midi tracks from the QY work on the grid in case you would like to mess with your arrangement before you begin tracking audio parts from the JdXi
Yeah, I was just coming back to say that you could always just record the MIDI into your DAW and then send it to the synth from there instead.
It's less linear if you're really into programming the QY but it could be the answer.
Old 17-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

I've tried this. Somewhere in the loop from the daw to the synth back into the daw there is a major issue causing the audio to be completely off from what the original pattern was...timing-wise it's all over the place. I'm working on trying to fix that as it would be the easiest way, but until I do (Or until I get a better computer. I can't even load more than 2 vsts without the whole thing freezing and crackling...shitty cpu) I think my best option is just moving the tracks around on qy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
dude.

record all the midi channels from the QY into Reaper in one pass. Re-assign the midi output from the channels in Reaper to send to the Roland accordingly.

:edit: to clarify, track the QY first, and then do all of your midi playback from Reaper's midi sequencer. You can then freely re-assign channels as you see fit.

That way you can record individual midi channels playing back the JDxi into reaper as audio and then be able to eq/compress/mix them all individually.

(:

------------------
Old 17-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

gotcha. that sucks. if i knew more about reaper i'd offer some help

------------------
Old 18-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
I've tried this. Somewhere in the loop from the daw to the synth back into the daw there is a major issue causing the audio to be completely off from what the original pattern was...timing-wise it's all over the place. I'm working on trying to fix that as it would be the easiest way, but until I do (Or until I get a better computer. I can't even load more than 2 vsts without the whole thing freezing and crackling...shitty cpu) I think my best option is just moving the tracks around on qy.
OK so explain this a little further and maybe we can help you.
First up, do you think your computer is really up to the job or not?

Secondly, forget VST's for a second, we're talking about sending MIDI to your Roland and recording the audio back to the DAW, that should be pretty straight forward.

When you say 'the audio is completely off' is that just a sync issue or do you mean something truly weird is happening, because sync issues are just a nooby thing you need to figure out once and get past.

Do you know anything about MIDI clock sync and stuff?
Is your Roland set to receive MIDI clock info?

Have you read the manual?

Are you monitoring the incoming audio in Reaper?

Advertisements