What in a headphone amp/dac can die over a long time?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696
What in a headphone amp/dac can die over a long time?

Im about to buy a O2/ODAC from someone online that has owned it for 3 years and I think it was previously owned before that. Just wondering what part of it might die soon and if it's okay to buy it so I don't have to end up replacing a part inside of it.

cheers

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29410
Re: What in a headphone amp/dac can die over a long time?

I have yet to see an amp/dac die from old age, I have some stuff (amps) from the late 60s/early 70s that was taken horrible care of and the right channel is intermittent. I think your main worry is going to be the jacks and knobs as those are under the most external stress (especially if someone carried it around in their pocket, bit of a stretch with the O2, but possible). Modern stuff should last at least 5 years if it's taken decent care of and playing 10 hours a day or something crazy high like that (longer for less time every day), so I think you're fine as long as all the jacks and knobs are in good shape.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Dhji (27-04-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Shawnlute
Learning The Ropes
Shawnlute is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
Im about to buy a O2/ODAC from someone online that has owned it for 3 years and I think it was previously owned before that. Just wondering what part of it might die soon and if it's okay to buy it so I don't have to end up replacing a part inside of it.

cheers

it's not a bad thing if you will buy what you want online and is already owned and used before. but for 3 years of owning it and using it? i think that is not a good one. you have to buy a newer one to make sure that there is no issues attached on the item. just my thought!
Shawnlute is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204110
Thanked 4,082 Times in 3,034 Posts

Aside from a build-up of dust inside the unit, which might lead to some issues over time, the only other real thing that comes to mind is the pots might need replacing..or just cleaning, if you're lucky.

Other than that, and if the seller hasn't listed any defects, then I'd say go for it, if the price is right, once you factor in the cost of any needed repairs, if any.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238579

In practice: From 3 years? Nothing, really. I'd expect at least 20 years more before any real defects from a headphone amp at that price bracket.

In theory: Potentiometers are usually cleared for a certain amount of turns, and due to being mechanical units, they will die eventually. Unless you spin them wildly, 3 years is nothing though. Same thing with jacks. Really not a concern. Beyond that, capacitors - especially electrolytic ones - can blow up due to age. Again, 3 years is nothing and most relatively modern designs have ones graded for forever. Mostly a concern in "planned malfunction" TVs. I suppose power source could screw up or something.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote