Stupid MIDI question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 22-04-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810
Stupid MIDI question

Here's my setup. qy-70 midi out to JDXi midi in, JDXi midi-over-usb out to windows 7 laptop, into Reaper.

I need Reaper to record the midi of the qy-70. I don't have a direct midi in on my laptop, so I have to run the 70 through the JDXi in order to utilize the midi-over-usb feature.

The 70 is triggering the JDXi, but it is not recording into Reaper. However, I can play the JDXi directly and Reaper will record that. So what is missing in the middle that is keeping Reaper from recording the midi from my 70?

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, but I haven't really done too much with midi. Most stuff I've done has either been with raw audio or only one instrument straight midi out to midi in. This setup is a bit more complex than what I'm used to.

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #2
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts
Re: Stupid MIDI question

You need MIDI THRU for that in ye olde MIDI setup days.
The OUT is for direct MIDI information you're transmitting from that specific piece of kit, i.e. pitch bend/mod wheel data, filter, all realtime controls basically. It doesn't transmit the info it's receiving at the IN.
For that you would use the THRU connection instead. Not all synths have them and there may be an option to switch it to a THRU mode using the OUT connection.
Not sure if that's the same now with usb or if there's an option for that somewhere, but it's time to RTFM a bit.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 02:29 AM   #3
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO

Yeah, no midi through on the JDXi. And I didn't see anything its menus that looked like I could change the out to through.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
Old 22-04-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Sounds like you need a Thru box..Midi Solutions for 50 bucks..or a software MIDI router....some of the more modern standard usb midi boxes allow for routing options per port..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

I would defo just look into the global MIDI settings on both devices. As lolirl said, changing the QY-70 to THRU may help. It could also be a MIDI filter issue.

That being said. For fifty dollars, you can get a USB to MIDI interface for your computer, which would let you record the QY-70 directly to Ableton.

The JDXI may also not transmit incoming MIDI from another device over USB.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33510

Not sure what all this talk of a thru box is. He doesn't have a midi interface so a thru box is not going to help. And relic, I don't know what you mean by "set the qy-70 to thru mode."

It may be possible that there is some internal setting on the JDxi that could solve your problem. Or it may be taht you have to select a different midi input device in your daw. A lot of units have multiple midi devices available to choose from. How you activate it would be dependent on your DAW and I'm not familiar with Reaper.

I'd say that it's pretty likely that's not the case though. alternatively, If you buy a midi interface or a usb audio interface that has midi, as relic suggested, that will solve your problem. Then what you would do is run the qy-70 midi into your interface's midi input, and then route it through a channel in your daw which goes back out through your interface's midi output.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

I found a soft thru option in the JDXi settings. I'm going to give that a try and if it doesn't work I'll just get one of those midi-to-usb cables from ART or Roland on the cheap and record the 70 directly into Reaper. Thanks for the input guys.

***I think I figured it out. There is the soft thru option, but it doesn't seem to work with the midi-over-usb (its just a straight usb port and cable, not an actual midi to usb converter cable). I'm assuming it will only work using the midi out, so with my setup it would seem I'm stuck having to buy one of the midi-to-usb cables either way***

Last edited by oDDgOD; 22-04-2016 at 04:17 PM..

------------------
Old 22-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

yeah, the midi over USB thing with the USB hosted in the synth itself is good for a few things but is limited in that regard.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (22-04-2016)
Old 22-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
I found a soft thru option in the JDXi settings. I'm going to give that a try and if it doesn't work I'll just get one of those midi-to-usb cables from ART or Roland on the cheap and record the 70 directly into Reaper. Thanks for the input guys.

***I think I figured it out. There is the soft thru option, but it doesn't seem to work with the midi-over-usb (its just a straight usb port and cable, not an actual midi to usb converter cable). I'm assuming it will only work using the midi out, so with my setup it would seem I'm stuck having to buy one of the midi-to-usb cables either way***
I think getting a MIDI interface or an audio interface with MIDI is unfortunately (because you have to spend $) your best bet. I'd seriously look into some entry level audio interfaces with MIDI though. They can be had for under 100USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Not sure what all this talk of a thru box is. He doesn't have a midi interface so a thru box is not going to help. And relic, I don't know what you mean by "set the qy-70 to thru mode."

It may be possible that there is some internal setting on the JDxi that could solve your problem. Or it may be taht you have to select a different midi input device in your daw. A lot of units have multiple midi devices available to choose from. How you activate it would be dependent on your DAW and I'm not familiar with Reaper.

I'd say that it's pretty likely that's not the case though. alternatively, If you buy a midi interface or a usb audio interface that has midi, as relic suggested, that will solve your problem. Then what you would do is run the qy-70 midi into your interface's midi input, and then route it through a channel in your daw which goes back out through your interface's midi output.
Sometimes a piece of gear has a MIDI OUT/THRU port and it can only be one of those at a time. If this were the case you'd switch how the port behaved in the global settings. OUT and THRU do different things.

I'm not a MIDI expert, but I agree I don't think a THRU box is going to help here. My suspicion is that the MIDI over USB is simply limited on the JDXI.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post

'
For one the thru/split box will allows the midi data to transfer to two places at once..one the jdx and also into reaper.Since the Q is only being used to trigger said data..or he can either record the midi data out from the Q into Reaper then send that back out in the jdx....not rocket science..been doing it that way since midi was invented..what goes out has to come back in and vice versa..any entry level brand midi box should work just fine when it is setup properly through Reapers handling of midi ports.... or he can just record the audio into Reaper and save some steps..either way should be fairly painless and not a headache.. don't forget to check your midi channel settings or you can cheat a bit and set it all to omni....

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
'
For one the thru/split box will allows the midi data to transfer to two places at once..one the jdx and also into reaper.Since the Q is only being used to trigger said data..or he can either record the midi data out from the Q into Reaper then send that back out in the jdx....not rocket science..been doing it that way since midi was invented..what goes out has to come back in and vice versa..any entry level brand midi box should work just fine when it is setup properly through Reapers handling of midi ports.... or he can just record the audio into Reaper and save some steps..either way should be fairly painless and not a headache.. don't forget to check your midi channel settings or you can cheat a bit and set it all to omni....
But he doesn't have a midi interface.. So how would he get midi into reaper? So he would have to buy a usb MIDI interface, at which point he would have no need for a thru box.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

I got one of these and its doing the trick. Not bad for $6

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to oDDgOD
lolirl (16-05-2016)