I can not get past one and a half minutes - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #21
tintala
Granular Poster
tintala is just really nicetintala is just really nicetintala is just really nicetintala is just really nicetintala is just really nice
Kathmandu ,Nepal
MC Status: 410
Re: I can not get past one and a half minutes

Don't be so precious with your tracks , build them and tear em apart till something comes out of it

Advertisements

tintala is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to tintala
mnkvolcno (27-03-2016)
Old 26-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #22
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238579

Quote:
Originally Posted by th☼m View Post
Think about your grandma or something else unsexy.
Please no, this just ruins the enjoyment.

Try doing a set of kegels each day, and some breathing exercises. If you are able to control your breathing, do deep breaths in a steady rhythm, you can last way longer.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 02:28 AM   #23
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

ok guys, i solved this problem by drinking oceanic amounts of red bull, smoking 2 packs a day and abandoning sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Please no, this just ruins the enjoyment.
Try doing a set of kegels each day, and some breathing exercises. If you are able to control your breathing, do deep breaths in a steady rhythm, you can last way longer.
haha this made my day buddy

Last edited by D42K732202; 27-03-2016 at 02:33 AM..

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #24
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 34310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintala View Post
Don't be so precious with your tracks , build them and tear em apart till something comes out of it
this is essentially the best answer
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #25
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

Just keep going. It might sound repetitive now but the more you do it the more ways you find out to make it less repetitive. Maybe you don't know what to do because you have been avoiding it and always starting your track with the intro or beginning part.
If you are a boxer and you just can't get the uppercut right what do you do? You train the uppercut.
If you are a drummer and you just can't get double strokes right what do you do? You practice double strokes.
If you are a composer and you just can't get a long song right what do you do?

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lepstok
mnkvolcno (22-05-2016)
Old 22-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #26
jjitter
Learning The Ropes
jjitter will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

try switching a couple of instruments For e.g from guitar playing the chords and keyboard the lead, exchange the roles. And try to introduce or mute atleast two things at a time, immediately gives your music a performance feel. Like the musicians gave each other a cue. For e.g when you switch the instruments, stop the drums too , or double the hi hat, or go to the ride cymbal. a smallest change in your recurring loop makes the music progress. Keep breaking the beat till you get switch instruments. Dont break it for a longtime when on the ride cymbal. Duplicate the drum track, filter it well, and use it for breaks.

Just some ideas from the top of my head to go past 2 or 3 mins with your song. GUess the ideas can be applied to any genre. Instead of cymbal it can be a reversed hat sample
jjitter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 34310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepstok View Post
Just keep going. It might sound repetitive now but the more you do it the more ways you find out to make it less repetitive. Maybe you don't know what to do because you have been avoiding it and always starting your track with the intro or beginning part.
If you are a boxer and you just can't get the uppercut right what do you do? You train the uppercut.
If you are a drummer and you just can't get double strokes right what do you do? You practice double strokes.
If you are a composer and you just can't get a long song right what do you do?
ok... this is actually the best answer.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #28
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

I had the same 'problem' for years. Then I realized most of the non-experimental music I was a fan of typically clocked in at less than two minutes. Repetition grinds my gears, so any music I make on-the-grid is typically going to be a minute and a half long.

It's still that way, I just don't see it as an issue anymore. I already know I'm not going to be played on the radio or in a club.
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #29
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
This or try "subtractive composing".

Create a good 4 bars loop, it needs to have a good groove and something cool going.

If your head's not bopping to the rhythm you ain't got it. Don't worry if you layer too many sounds/riffs, you'll sort this later.

Once you're sure you got it, copy and paste so that it is about 4 minutes or so long, now add markers every 4 bars.

So you have a long repetitive loop, what now?
Work on the first section, the intro, remove what you don't immediately need, ease into the song, delete stuff and don't worry.

Move to the next four bars, repeat the above, keep going until you get to a section that is your "main', your "chorus", repeat them a couple of time, 'drop' lots of stuff in between.

It is becoming a song, the structure is almost there, but it's still missing something, right/

Now go back to the start and add some variation, maybe some risers. give the listeners a clue every 4 bars, fade in the new section.

Don't work on the whole song, work on little blocks.
This is pretty great! Cheers for sharing
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #30
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
It's still that way, I just don't see it as an issue anymore. I already know I'm not going to be played on the radio or in a club.
don't give up on your dreams

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #31
Rakka Nova
Banned
Rakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant future
Queen Joker Trickster
MC Status: 1510

Sounds like uninspiring sex.

Mix it upp, try new things, take it slower a bit, then faster again.
Rakka Nova is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #32
Rakka Nova
Banned
Rakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant future
Queen Joker Trickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
You could just end it there. There are a plethora of punk tracks that are less than two minutes long.
Which 95% of the time is totally unsatisfying.
Rakka Nova is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #33
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
This or try "subtractive composing".

Create a good 4 bars loop, it needs to have a good groove and something cool going.

If your head's not bopping to the rhythm you ain't got it. Don't worry if you layer too many sounds/riffs, you'll sort this later.

Once you're sure you got it, copy and paste so that it is about 4 minutes or so long, now add markers every 4 bars.

So you have a long repetitive loop, what now?
Work on the first section, the intro, remove what you don't immediately need, ease into the song, delete stuff and don't worry.

Move to the next four bars, repeat the above, keep going until you get to a section that is your "main', your "chorus", repeat them a couple of time, 'drop' lots of stuff in between.

It is becoming a song, the structure is almost there, but it's still missing something, right/

Now go back to the start and add some variation, maybe some risers. give the listeners a clue every 4 bars, fade in the new section.

Don't work on the whole song, work on little blocks.
This works best for me too. I only use 64 steps (16th note) per song.

Thanks, for your post, Automageddon, saves me a lot of time posting and editing afterwards.

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #34
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Its long enough, leave people wanting.

Advertisements

Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote