Need advanced MIDI routing tips
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 29-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
NiDBiLD
Regular Freak
NiDBiLD has a spectacular aura aboutNiDBiLD has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Need advanced MIDI routing tips

Hey guys! I'm new here, so apologies if this is the wrong board for this question. If that's the case, could a mod be kind and move it to where it belongs? Thanks!

So here's the deal:

I'm building a rather extensive midi template for using my Maschine Studio as a midi controller inside Studio One. Now I've stumbled on a big problem.

I'm using Mackie MCU Protocol for the mixer section, so my midi notes are occupied for MCU messages.

Discovered yesterday this means the pads are no longer playable. Shitwaffles.

This seriously messes up my plans, as you can probably imagine.

What I'm wondering now is if there, by any chance is some piece of software that I can use to intercept pad hits (including velocity and aftertouch).

Important thing here is that what's intercepted is the pad hits themselves, and not the resulting midi. You see, if I reroute the midi notes, I end up rerouting the mcu commands as well. Doing so would pretty much render the whole endeavour pointless.

What I'd want, ideally, is to be able to add just the keypad area as a separate device with a separate input/output inside my DAW, and keep the rest of the hardware under MCU protocol.

Is there a way to do this? Any takers?

Advertisements

NiDBiLD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Amon Tobin
Old 29-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
NiDBiLD
Regular Freak
Re: Need advanced midi routing tips

Addendum:

Seriously, no amount of software tweaking is too much. If it's possible, I'll fucking get there, even if I end up with a fucking Frankenmaschine-monster thing that requires four different pieces of midi software to even run.

As you can see, this vexes me greatly.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
vashima
IDMf Supporter
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560
Re: Need advanced MIDI routing tips

I'm 0% familiar with studio one and am not familiar with your exact set up as far as hardware goes. I'm sure you can set it up without getting any 3rd part software. Studio one should be able to realize the 8 or 16 channels of midi your hardware has. This way you can use the pads to control certain virtual instruments while still using the MCU protocol for whatever you are using. I know this isn't an incredibly helpful post, but I am letting you know that what you want to do should be possible; ya Just got to figure out how to route things in studio one digitally. good luck!
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390198
Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,766 Posts

There ought to be an option to send/recieve on another channel. There are 16 to choose from.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
vashima (08-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #5
NiDBiLD
Regular Freak

For reference, the solution was what Evelon suggested. Just sent the note data on ch16, and since then there's been no conflict between commands.

Being able to play instruments by touching the knobs on my Maschine was fun though.
Old 18-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
sterioevo
Regular Freak
sterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud of
Tamworth
MC Status: 1194

An additional method is to use a program like Midi Patchbay to redirect messages to different ports. With this method you can create a number of controllers from the one controller.

Advertisements

sterioevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote