Mono bass?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420
Mono bass?

Obviously having been around this forum for awhile, I've picked this up and am a huge fan of mono'ing my bass and kick. It just sounds cleaner.

My buddies are remixing a tune of mine however, and it's not a practice they're aware of. I'm wondering it will be a problem for me to mono the bass on the master they send me, instead of the individual tracks in the mix. Does this make a difference at all? Easier for me to just do it in master instead of asking them to resend me tracks with kick/bass mono'd.

Advertisements

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts
Re: Mono bass?

Why would you be altering the sound of their remix anyways? Just leave it the way it is - if you want them to remix your song is it not to get their sound and vision?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (12-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

To answer your question, monoing the primary frequency range on the master that the bass and kick occupy will mono lets just say (talking purposes only) 75hz and below. Assuming your kick is more than just a sub, as in it has a top layer, occupies a much wider frequency range. So you wouldn't be able to get the whole thing anyway without it effecting other elements too. Same with the bass assuming it's more than an 80hz sub or whatever.

Essentially no, it's not the same.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
chasedobson (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

^^ This.

also, if by making your mono bass and kick parts stereo they're simply taking 2 instances of the same track and hard panning them all they're effectively doing is making it louder.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #5
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
To answer your question, monoing the primary frequency range on the master that the bass and kick occupy will mono lets just say (talking purposes only) 75hz and below. Assuming your kick is more than just a sub, as in it has a top layer, occupies a much wider frequency range. So you wouldn't be able to get the whole thing anyway without it effecting other elements too. Same with the bass assuming it's more than an 80hz sub or whatever.

Essentially no, it's not the same.
OK good to know that it's not the same.

------------------
Old 12-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I'm a bit confused.
Are you mixing/mastering their remix of your original track? Then you can go ahead and use a M/S EQ and low shelving cut the sides at around 200Hz...or you can "make-mono" at a certain frequency and below (with Nugen Audio Monofilter, GVST GMonoBass, Boz Mongoose, etc).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #7
strkssinthes
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I'm a bit confused.
Are you mixing/mastering their remix of your original track? Then you can go ahead and use a M/S EQ and low shelving cut the sides at around 200Hz...or you can "make-mono" at a certain frequency and below (with Nugen Audio Monofilter, GVST GMonoBass, Boz Mongoose, etc).
Sorry, to clarify: I am doing the final mastering on the remixes they sent me of my original track. They sent me the mixed but unmastered WAV files. I'm doing the final mastering and getting all the volumes and dynamics as close as possible. I know none of them mono'd up their bass/kicks, so I wanted to use Pro-Q's M/S feature, and cut all the sides below 150-200hz. I usually employ this practice on individual tracks in the mix, but can I drop Pro-Q with all the sides cut below 150hz on the master chain of each of my buddies remixes?

------------------
Old 14-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32860

Try it out! I have heard of the opposite being done on mixes, where the highs are widened so why not
Then if it doesn't work don't do it!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
Mika Technika
Regular Freak
Mika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MC
Serbia, Novi Sad
MC Status: 34061

M\S is the key, you can also check the equilibrium eq, because you can set the volume faders for M and S, so you can mix those signals to your taste, and just eq them
Mika Technika is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkssinthes View Post
I usually employ this practice on individual tracks in the mix, but can I drop Pro-Q with all the sides cut below 150hz on the master chain of each of my buddies remixes?
Yes, this is pretty common practice in mastering, if needed.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
strkssinthes (14-06-2016)
Old 14-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Optimal Prime
Deep Underground
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 7460

This is a technique I often use too with PRO-Q's m-s controls. Funnily enough I used to wonder this same exact question too when using it on my masters. As for working with kicks and basses, I don't keep them mono because often not all parts need to be mono, certainly for the bass where the mid range layers are concerned, but this can often apply to the upper layers of the kicks too.

Advertisements

------------------
Optimal Prime & Mavamatics - Hypnosis feat. Mc Longman [Seismic Theory]

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote