25 Key MIDI Keyboard: A way to control octave on one half & the other?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696
25 Key MIDI Keyboard: A way to control octave on one half & the other?

Hi there. I am interested in getting a smaller 25 key midi keyboard as I am always making music on the road and it fits in my backpack. I am wondering if there is a M4L device or something similar that can change the octave on one half of the keyboard (by more than one octave) by pressing a certain button that can be key mapped to the midi keyboard. This is basically the same idea to how theres a left or right button that raises or lowers the octave of the entire keyboard except it only does one or the other half.

Thank you
D

Last edited by Dhji; 12-06-2016 at 09:06 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318589
Thanked 1,009 Times in 796 Posts
Re: 25 Key MIDI Keyboard: A way to control octave on one half & the other?

I would just suggest going with a 49 key, it's not out of the realm of portability and it saves you from spending money on additional devices.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Somn
Minor Glitch
Somn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to all
Stockholm
MC Status: 610

Create two identical channels and use a MIDI utility plugin to create a MIDI filter, which cancels out the notes that the other octave is supposed to play. This way you can separate the keys into two different channels, and then change the octave and sound of them independently.
Somn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Somn
Dhji (14-06-2016)
Old 13-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #4
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29410

I think there are keyboards that let you create two or more zones which let you treat two or more different groups of keys like two separate keyboards, including independent octave control among other things. I would look into that if I were you (don't know too much about it myself).
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19960

Samson Graphite 25 has a split function, maybe that could work?
Check out the manual

You could also just setup several of Live's Pitch Midi Fx to shift the incoming notes according to your needs, and then either map the On/Off buttons or just use the mouse.

Advertisements

Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
Dhji (14-06-2016)