Mastering and getting bigger BASS!!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
T-double-U
Regular Freak
T-double-U is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Mastering and getting bigger BASS!!

Ok, I'm really happy with my mixes and over all mastering accept for ONE THING. I just can't get a good low heavy sound to my productions! I cut out a lot of low end out of sounds that don't require it, leaving me a lot of room to boost kick drum and bass lows, but yet I feel like I'm just not getting that heavy set sound that I want. My eq and side chaining is really cleaned up well, but yet that bass just doesn't hit the way I want.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

T-double-U is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610
Re: Mastering and getting bigger BASS!!

Do you have your low frequencies in mono? Having them at the centre of the stereo field can give them a lot more impact.

Basslane is a free plugin that can help you do that, but there are quite a few out there.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also giving the parts space to breathe in terms of composition as well as carving out frequencies can help.
NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

Also a low-mid cut can make bass sound bassier, but yeah, try and have your low frequencies central.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29260

1. Maximus. Boost those lows harder than everything else.

2. If you aren't already, a separate sub of just a sine or few harmonics can really help ground a track. My subs are barely audible on my system, but I can feel when they're there and when they aren't, makes a big difference for me.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

When you are composing, use an actual bass instrument. Don't just rely upon the kick drum. And if you use various kick drum samples, delete all of them that aren't 100% deep and decent.

And actually you might want to do less high pass filtering, since that detracts from the complete fullness of sounds. When waveforms add together, they don't compete 100% part of it is just natural blending and doesn't actually cause clipping. So if you do less high pass filtering, you are enabling those instruments to sound a bit fuller as an ensemble.

If your kick is really powerful and you are worried about detracting from it's power, instead of sidechaining, you should really look at your gain staging and overall levels and use a limiter on the master instead and compress individual channels if needed or shape their transients.

Muscial sounds are meant to mix togther not play musical chairs

Aside from that, never overlook the power of a sinewave bass instrument. Sinewaves sound really bassy when played at low pitches. You really can't get more powerful than that if you need it.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Whatever you are doing it is still a mix issue, not mastering. Are coming to this conclusion comparing your tracks to any refernces or do you just not get bass on your monitors/headphones?

Also, try gentle curves instead of steep curves when rolling off lows. I used to use almost 90 degree shelves, now I use a MUCH more gentle shelf and I'm loving the results. I also agree that extreme roll offs detract from over all "fullness".

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
P.Rift
Minor Glitch
P.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Sometimes getting a bass to sound "big" or "full" isn't just about the lower frequencies. If you add in a touch of some higher frequency harmonies, the bass sound can become more audible in the mix and appear "bigger". This depends a lot on the genre/what kind of bass sound you are using, but it works very well with 808 kicks, etc.
P.Rift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

You can always try a multiband compressor. Slam the lows without making your top end pump.

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33510

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Whatever you are doing it is still a mix issue, not mastering. Are coming to this conclusion comparing your tracks to any refernces or do you just not get bass on your monitors/headphones?

Also, try gentle curves instead of steep curves when rolling off lows. I used to use almost 90 degree shelves, now I use a MUCH more gentle shelf and I'm loving the results. I also agree that extreme roll offs detract from over all "fullness".
Wise words.

To generalize, remove as little frequency content as possible.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
TheSampleThief
Microknight
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

If you're talking about subbase, I often add some to my kicks seperately via BassDrum+Reverb on full stereo but very low volume and everything above like 60 Hz EQ'd out. You could also add a low pitch Synth seperately to your melody or sth.

Other than that, tons of bass can also come from your various synths, maybe you cut out a little too much low-end frequencies there.
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
erikmichael
Minor Glitch
erikmichael has a spectacular aura abouterikmichael has a spectacular aura abouterikmichael has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 210

Not sure if you're doing this, but one thing that is helpful is to drop a reference track into your DAW and run it through a spectrum analyzer. Look at where the sub levels are hitting. As I was, you might be surprised to see that the sub levels in your reference track are hitting at a lower value than in your own track, yet sound louder and more full. You see, bass loudness is partly a psychoacoustic perception thing. I noticed in my own instance, that this track had higher midrange levels than my track, and as a result the track as a whole sounded louder. Which in turn made the bass sound louder. It's all about contrast. So if your midrange is deficient than having a super subby low end isn't going to seem as low and deep as you want. This may not be your case at all and the other suggestions here are totally valid. Just thought I'd touch on this.

Cheers.
erikmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to erikmichael
Methuselah (13-06-2016)
Old 14-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #12
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5810

This is not a solution, just a tip. Once you've got some real low end, you can tame it and control it easily by using saturation. You will simultaneously control its timbre and its dynamic range. Helps in mixing.

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

Why doesn't anyone mention chorus?
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:38 AM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948131
Thanked 5,799 Times in 3,642 Posts

Harmonics. Cut your mids out and hipass at a point where it's not going to be interfering with the kick drum. I would do one good +1-3 dB boost around 80hz, look for the bump on a spectrum analyzer to see exactly where that sweet spot frequency is riding and boost it a bit. Staged compression works wonders. Two/three compressors only taking 1-3 dBs off, slow attack slow release to really make it smooth out the low end effectively.

Split your bass up into lows/mids/highs and process them differently. fuck the mids. hah. I usually just cut the shit out of 250-600hz like around 8-10dBs, big reverse bell. Really helps your midranged instruments take over that area.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
Mrs Dink
Analog Lurker
Mrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant futureMrs Dink has a brilliant future
Washington State
MC Status: 1860

I try to EQ as best as I can and then I run my kicks thru Mullholland distortion to really make them punchy. I'm by no means a pro (and this may be causing other sonic issues, I dunno, but I haven't heard had any problems myself), but this is just something I stumbled onto when playing around and it really gave me the kick I had been looking for.
Mrs Dink is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65060
Thanked 1,301 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Harmonics. Cut your mids out and hipass at a point where it's not going to be interfering with the kick drum. I would do one good +1-3 dB boost around 80hz, look for the bump on a spectrum analyzer to see exactly where that sweet spot frequency is riding and boost it a bit. Staged compression works wonders. Two/three compressors only taking 1-3 dBs off, slow attack slow release to really make it smooth out the low end effectively.

Split your bass up into lows/mids/highs and process them differently. fuck the mids. hah. I usually just cut the shit out of 250-600hz like around 8-10dBs, big reverse bell. Really helps your midranged instruments take over that area.
Yeah, mud around 300 Hz can muddle things.

I also find that a touch of saturation and/or distortion can work well.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Numerical (04-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #17
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

depends a lot on "genre" really in what you can get away with to make the bass better.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote