How to find/create tabs/sheet music when none exists?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 25-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810

There's a song I'm wanting to attempt a cover of, but I'm not a play-by-ear kinda guy. I need tabs or something to get me started, even if its just the opening riff to point me in the right direction. But I can't find any tabs or sheet music for this specific song (Bile-Melas Chasm).

Is there a program I can put the track through to spit out the info I need? Or, does any one here have any tips for this kind of thing?

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Not sure if there are programs that can do this in a satisfactory way but you could always try asking the original artist.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
oDDgOD (26-04-2016)
Old 27-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960
Re: How to find/create tabs/sheet music when none exists?

put it in to melodyne then put the midi in to sybalius

Last edited by joem; 29-03-2016 at 09:07 AM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
oDDgOD (26-04-2016)
Old 29-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Just like Joem said, Melodyne is probably your best bet on getting polyphonic audio into midi information. From there you could open the midi file in sebelius or something similar to get it notated. This video kinda shows what the workflow would be like using Melodyne. good luck!
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
oDDgOD (26-04-2016)
Old 30-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

and some 5 year old child-prodigy can replay it by ear on detuned guitar with 3 strings broken,with closed eyes at 900 bpm, depressing isn't it ?

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043891
Thanked 7,529 Times in 4,657 Posts

Find the track on youtube and play it slowed down so you can work out the notes?
Band in a box can translate to tab from score or piano roll but you would have to program it in first.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
oDDgOD (26-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
Clashvoid
Learning The Ropes
Clashvoid will become famous soon enough
Aarau
MC Status: 60

I use Ableton to slow down music for transcriptions. You can also use the EQ to make it easier to hear e.g. what the bass does in a recording. You can also make very short loops of just a single chord, makes it easier to focus.
Other very useful tip is to stop the recording right after the note you want to figure out. That way you sort of still hear it "in your head".

Generally I really recommend to try and figure out songs by ear. I was not not born with very good listening skills and learning songs that way was very difficult for me. But by just doing it that way for a couple of years I'm now usually quicker just transcribing a song myself then searching for tabs and then having to check if they are correct.
Clashvoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Clashvoid
oDDgOD (26-04-2016)
Old 26-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
Sihlpost
Learning The Ropes
Sihlpost will become famous soon enough
Lugano
MC Status: 60

I personally use a software that detects notes and chords: CAPO. It's an alternative to Melodyne.
I will link the site below:
supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/
Sihlpost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sihlpost
oDDgOD (26-04-2016)
Old 26-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33710

i'm just gonna say..

You should just bite the bullet and learn to do it yourself. figure it out one note at a time if you have to. put each note in the piano roll as you go

to me a musician saying "i'm not a play by ear kind of guy" is kind of like a soccer player saying they're not a "run up and down the field kind of guy"

didn't mean that to be harsh, but getting good at this will only improve your musicianship. it's kind of a necessary skill IMO.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
MikeyOSB
Sample Destroyer
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
Armpit of the North
MC Status: 2610

The closest thing I know is to use FLStudio and dump the file to an audio clip or something like that. Or dump to piano roll. The software is pretty good at figuring out what the notes are.

------------------
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Honestly, spend half the amount of time you spend searching for and evaluating the different tools going through the song you want to learn quarter note by quarter note and record the notes to a MIDI file by hand. You'll get way better results than any software AND you'll have saved half the time.

It's really not hard once you get the bass line and a few chords. And I literally mean: drop the track into a DAW with a MIDI region underneath and loop the first quarter note until the tone matches, rinse and repeat.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
professurreal (27-04-2016)
Old 27-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
Rakka Nova
Banned
Rakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant future
Queen Joker Trickster
MC Status: 1510

one note at a time
Rakka Nova is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 03:28 AM   #13
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

I usually find the multitrack then load it all up in Melodyne 4 Studio( also allows me to change the key if need be depending on the range of whatever vocalist is being used)..if am am being really lazy I send the track off to a buddy and have him transcribe it..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM   #14
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
There's a song I'm wanting to attempt a cover of, but I'm not a play-by-ear kinda guy. I need tabs or something to get me started, even if its just the opening riff to point me in the right direction. But I can't find any tabs or sheet music for this specific song (Bile-Melas Chasm).

Is there a program I can put the track through to spit out the info I need? Or, does any one here have any tips for this kind of thing?
I have to say this is kind of unusual. Most guitar players are play by ear types. You really might want to consider developing your ear. It's a useful tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any case check out this...so cool!

score cloud. com (Can't post links yet)
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #15
Rakka Nova
Banned
Rakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant future
Queen Joker Trickster
MC Status: 1510

Whistle, hum, sing -> There are midi converters for clear simple melodies that work very well.
Rakka Nova is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #16
kendomate
Minor Glitch
kendomate has a spectacular aura aboutkendomate has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

definitely try to do it by ear.
Thats how "ear" is developed in the first place.
Play the long game. You'll be happier at the end of it.

Advertisements

kendomate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote