[Dark Jazz / Synthesizer] Matt Kwid - Omission
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Matt Kwid has a spectacular aura aboutMatt Kwid has a spectacular aura about
Austin
MC Status: 160
Icon2 [Dark Jazz / Synthesizer] Matt Kwid - Omission

Omission by Matt Kwid

Instrument Tracks:
Stratocaster
Korg PolySix
Rhodes Piano
Double Bass
Drum Set

Mastered by - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
Matt Kwid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Dark Jazz / Synthesizer] Matt Kwid - Omission.
Old 16-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6760
Re: [Dark Jazz / Synthesizer] Matt Kwid - Omission

Hi there
Great track and musicianship.
A+
Nice video too
The only thing I noticed was that the guitar was a bit too loud
but that's just a matter of taste.

Cheers

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24110

yeah man I checked out your album, but because of school I never got the chance to respond, but I'll do so after my last final mann. This is on osme pink floyd level stuff man. I love pink floyd dude.

I was ready for the chill elevator, and you took it to the moon. Damn dude I don't know if I can say that here, but this is seriously good. I like the fact you played the instruments because, I often forget other producers play instruments like myself and that they still exist in this robot world.

Dang dude this is niiice man I really like it. How did you make the video? It reminded me of Shine on you crazy diamond.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. All my other tracks featured synths and had guitar as instrumentation and often had bits of jazz in it. I decided to turn this one around, use jazz instrumentation and format and put the electronic inside of it.

I pulled the video footage from other creative commons sources as well as the NASA website and slowed the footage down as it seemed to capture the vibe of the song. The really interesting part is that all of it is created by a sequence of real Cassini NASA Space Program pictures shot in sequence from a satellite flying near Saturn. None of it is computer generated.

------------------
Old 17-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
gatefour
Sample Destroyer
gatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

not a lot to say, just really diggin this - this is my favorite out of all your tunes

------------------
Gate Four

Soundcloud // Bandcamp // Luminance EP

gatefour is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

Thanks gatefour. I appreciate the positive feedback.

------------------
Old 20-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
AudioJunky
Knob Twiddler
AudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to behold
Johannesburg
MC Status: 781

This is a great tune indeed. But I feel you can add more drum parts especially for the part from 1:58 to 2:59 (just that part). If I was the one playing the drums live for this tune I would yawn and sleep haha just kidding but hope you get the idea.

Also add some more drum fills to help introduce the next section of the song. I only heard one drum fill and add a delay to the effects such as the rattle it's a good ear candy(ping pong delay is good for this). I love the chords and the guitar. I would mix the guitar different than you and push it to the back of the mix a bit, it's too upfront.

Overall it's a great song :victory:

------------------
AudioJunky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

Got it AudioJunky and I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the specific feedback. I am going to try and share my thoughts while working on this song so try not to read my response as defensive because I really do enjoy constructive feedback.

The main idea was to try and put a lot of space in the song, keep things as sparse as I possibly could to give the piece more drama (in my mind at least). I came to find out after I created this song that there is sort of a genre of music that is like this called Dark Jazz which tends to be dark ambient and played with standard jazz instrumentation. Check out how sparse and minimal some of that gets (search Youtube for "Dark Jazz").

I agree with you on the mixing in some parts, I think I might have gotten more from the other instrumentation if the mix was slightly less guitar heavy. I may have gotten carried away with how the guitar sounded while doing the final mixdown as I actually spent probably a good two months doing modification work to my strat and amp with adding new circuits and pickups and stuff to try and get the best tone I could.

Yes, I very much agree headphone candy is always a good thing and I might have gotten some more interesting colors in the track by adding more of it.

The section from 1:58 to 2:59 I went back and forth for hours about swinging the drums and finally decided yes so I am glad you pointed that section out. That specific section also slows down by 3bpm to help stress the slow empty drama while more notes are being played. I hear ya about more drum fills. To my ear it was easy to overplay the song when I started adding more creative drums in that section and it ended up taking away from the synth lead.

Cheers!

------------------
Old 20-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
M8R-l54a541
Minor Glitch
M8R-l54a541 will become famous soon enoughM8R-l54a541 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Wow. Really smooth and chilled out. This is the kind of thing that I would put on my phone to listen to. I can tell that you were in your own, happy, emotionally-stimulating world when creating this. Even though audio junky said to add more / different drums later, I quite like it how it is right now. Then again, I wouldn't know how it sounds like that until I hear it.
M8R-l54a541 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

The 5 song album that it is on ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) or just that song is free to download [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Just name your price of $0 and you are good to go.

Also, just googling around a bit, I found that the song got featured on an ambient music podcast called [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Matt Kwid; 20-12-2013 at 10:33 PM..

------------------
Old 20-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
AudioJunky
Knob Twiddler
AudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to behold
Johannesburg

No you're not defensive, I totally understand your point of view. All the best with that project it's really good music.

------------------
Old 20-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

I'm on your Soundcloud now AudioJunky. Your track in your sig reminded me that I wanted to do a Bossa Nova influenced track. I will check out your TalkinMusic.com site as well.

You have cool percussion ear candy all over your stuff

------------------
Old 20-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
AudioJunky
Knob Twiddler
Johannesburg

haha... no that's not my song. Diskostis is a new artist I just signed under my label. I'm DJ SGZ

Find more info about talking music on this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It will be great to have you aboard, Thnx

------------------
Old 21-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
A Tree
Sample Destroyer
A Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2560

Another nice one Matt. I may have to make use of your mastering engineer one day. This reminded much of a song I did way back when and would like to re-visit one day. Love the tremolo-esque vibes on the guitar. Have a good one.
A Tree is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #15
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

Thanks man. I hope all is well in SLO. I noticed you released a new track on my feed. I have not had any listening time but I will check it out soon.

Cheers!

------------------
Old 24-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #16
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

This is very cool, maybe push that guitar back as well as the vocal? Other than that sounds fantastic overall

Really enjoyed listening to this, def has that Floyd influence

Video is great too

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

Thanks for the feedback Erik. Much appreciated.

------------------
Old 28-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

Really really digging this song. I definitely agree with the other people on pushing the guitar back a little bit. I could listen to this type of music on vinyl all day like Pink Floyd - well played man.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #19
Matt Kwid
Analog Lurker
Austin

Thanks for taking the time for the feedback Aphex.

------------------
Old 30-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #20
Funktion
Microknight
Funktion will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 60

heh, nice groove ! a pleasure to listen, was are you jamming ? this sounds real good, the uses of the guitar at the best, I guess ^^.
Keep up !

Advertisements

Funktion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote