Want to be an electronic music producer - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 22-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
RiaBay
Minor Glitch
RiaBay is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Want to be an electronic music producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
Want to produce?

Then produce.
true.

Advertisements

RiaBay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #42
Army of Ninjas
Minor Glitch
Army of Ninjas is a jewel in the roughArmy of Ninjas is a jewel in the roughArmy of Ninjas is a jewel in the rough
Salt Lake City, Utah
MC Status: 260

Simply mail me lots of money and I will tell you just what to do.
Army of Ninjas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Future Sounds of London
Old 27-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #43
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421877929
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I see a few people use the term "producer" these days, not really understanding its place in the music industry.
I am we'll known around these parts for my utter hatred of the term "producer." It's nice to finally see somebody who feels the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Telling someone to learn to work electronic music by taking piano lessons is like telling someone wanting to paint surrealist landscapes to start with still life.
Yes, this is true, because they are both very good pieces of advice.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
oliveralex (04-06-2014)
Old 27-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #44
AnmolJ
Minor Glitch
AnmolJ will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

The first thing you've gotta realize is that it'll take time. I've been learning for the past nine months and still don't call myself a producer or anything like that. But here are some good ways you should start off:

1. Learn how a piano works! Not playing it physically but the major/minor scales, major/minor 3rd or 5th chords, etc.

2. Learn your daw. Ableton is one of the best Daw's on the market. You can make a commercially sounding track with all of the plugins that it comes with.

3. Learn synthesis. Pick a couple vsts and practice on them like crazy(maybe even just one.) this is important because the better you get at knowing at how a 'Massive' works, the better you'll be able to make your own unique sound.

4. Practice making just beats themselves. Start off with kick and bring other drums in and make them fit the best to your abilities. This will really help with song structure.

5. Mix down. Well can't say much because I'm still learning. But I would recommend a book 'mixing for the small studio' by Mike Senior. Great book.

P.S. I'm not saying I'm a producer(yet) nor am I saying the tips above are the "right" way to learn. But it helped me and can probably help you too.
AnmolJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #45
Tranq
Tranq is a jewel in the roughTranq is a jewel in the roughTranq is a jewel in the roughTranq is a jewel in the rough
Belgrade, Serbia
MC Status: 310

1) get yourself a big bottle of wine, preferably red.

2) smoke like it's your last day on earth

3) start up your DAW of choice and smash your midi keyboard accordingly.

4) quantize

5) ???

6) apply every single effect at your disposal to every channel you got

7) put a limiter on your master channel

8) play

9) magic
Tranq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #46
Mason Bane
Mason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinson View Post
For the past month, I have been looking at random tutorials on creating basslines and kick drums. Iíve even started reading a book on dance music. However, I am still lost. I have no idea how to create a song. What instruments do I have to use? How do you create a melody? How do I create electronic sounds of my own? How do you structure a average electronic record? Basically, I want to know the steps it takes to be an electronic producer.

P.S. I am starting out using Ableton 9
I started out like you with Ableton. I started copying my favorite artists such as Com Truise. I have some tutorials on Youtube under my performance name Wavestrike.

Then I combined these skills I had acquired trying to imitate others to do my own thing.

------------------
Mason Bane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #47
ESKOBARR
Minor Glitch
ESKOBARR will become famous soon enoughESKOBARR will become famous soon enough
Up North, England
MC Status: 110

First of learn to count music if you can,t do so already secondly, get stuck into your DAW and mess around this is the only way it,ll stay with in your brain, its like a bike once you learn how you don,t forget...

Good luck
ESKOBARR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #48
Alex-Zar
Regular Freak
Alex-Zar will become famous soon enough
Canberra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranq View Post
1) get yourself a big bottle of wine, preferably red.

2) smoke like it's your last day on earth
Love it
Alex-Zar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #49
Entox
Eternal Echoer
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinson View Post
For the past month, I have been looking at random tutorials on creating basslines and kick drums. Iíve even started reading a book on dance music. However, I am still lost. I have no idea how to create a song. What instruments do I have to use? How do you create a melody? How do I create electronic sounds of my own? How do you structure a average electronic record? Basically, I want to know the steps it takes to be an electronic producer.

P.S. I am starting out using Ableton 9
If you are totally new to production i would just open up your DAW and start playing.

No better way to get started than to just play around with some sounds and see what happens imo. You will learn things quicker (at least i do) playing around than reading it on a piece of paper.

It's also the most fun way to learn imo...

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Entox
Valk (10-10-2016)
Old 24-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #50
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

What I find to be the best realization is that while there is an abundance of tutorials and possiblities and it all seems daunting when watching them; even playing around with your DAW can at times seem terrifying and frustrating, but what's most important that every time you 'play' or 'read', a little bit of knowledge is sticking with you and while you may not realise it while doing so- in retrospect of let's say a week or so you know you've learned something you didn't know before.

When learning I always visualise a jigsaw puzzle. A blank image that has some fragmented pieces here and there with no correlation at first -but then one day some cluster of pieces/knowledge attaches to antother cluster and it fits in just right. Over time more clusters form 'till you can envision the entire puzzle. Then it's a matter of filling in all the blanks.

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step"

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Spiritos
Muse-ic (25-01-2014)
Old 25-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #51
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritos View Post
What I find to be the best realization is that while there is an abundance of tutorials and possiblities and it all seems daunting when watching them; even playing around with your DAW can at times seem terrifying and frustrating, but what's most important that every time you 'play' or 'read', a little bit of knowledge is sticking with you and while you may not realise it while doing so- in retrospect of let's say a week or so you know you've learned something you didn't know before.

When learning I always visualise a jigsaw puzzle. A blank image that has some fragmented pieces here and there with no correlation at first -but then one day some cluster of pieces/knowledge attaches to antother cluster and it fits in just right. Over time more clusters form 'till you can envision the entire puzzle. Then it's a matter of filling in all the blanks.

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step"
Great post. For me it works like layers. Sometimes it takes 3 different ways of learning about something until the concept takes hold. But yes, very much like a puzzle.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Spiritos (25-01-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #52
VascoOfficial
Learning The Ropes
VascoOfficial will become famous soon enough
Caldwell, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiaBay View Post
true.
DAT ANSWER.
DAT RESPONSE.
VascoOfficial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to VascoOfficial
Chozo Tull (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #53
keith909
Minor Glitch
keith909 will become famous soon enoughkeith909 will become famous soon enough

This is how I got into producing.

1. Got a keyboard and learnt to 'play by ear'. Sheet music was boring. I just listened to tracks and tried to work out the melody/chords by playing along.
2. Learnt a DAW. Learnt about MIDI sequencing.
3. Learnt about samplers and sampling
4. Learnt about synthesis
5. Played around with this knowledge. Just made up lot and lots of little 'productions' not being too serious just 'having fun' with it
6. Listened to tracks I really liked. Analyzing them (arrangement, sound design, composition).
7. Started to seriously learn about audio engineering (compression, eq etc)
8. Write (and finish) track after bloody track.
9. Well, that's where I'm up to up now

Good luck. If you have the passion you'll do all these things and yes it's gonna take loads of time and patience. You really need to love doing it cause it's hard work.
keith909 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #54
Skycstls
Regular Freak
Skycstls will become famous soon enoughSkycstls will become famous soon enough

One advice, just because some technique its not common in EDM doesnt mean that its not going to work, listen a lot of different kinds of electronic music, try to mix them, even if it sounds bad you will learn a lot
Skycstls is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #55
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798770

For me this usally works:

1. Open the DAW and star smashing some beats and drums. Be REALLY experimental, no rules here.
2. When you like what you have, add some noises here and there
3. Add some other noises
4. Make sure the noises play well with eachother (not so important though)
5. Few noises here and there, if you notice high peaks or some other freq problems, compress a little and/or eq.
6. Put a limiter on and you have a track wola

------------------
Top influencers: 1. Mohombi 2. Safri Duo 3. Pitbull (Timber only)
PM ME YOURS

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Johnson Academy
jimmusician (03-05-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #56
oliveralex
Granular Poster
oliveralex is a jewel in the rougholiveralex is a jewel in the rougholiveralex is a jewel in the rough
Antwerp

do things one step at a time

i was in your position and sometimes stressed about all the instruments and options you have
like how tand why to use this synth and what are the knobs for
how to go from a loop to an arrangement

etc

don't bother! just go with the flow and make what feels good at the time and the technicalities you will learn them along the road! offcourse checke out some tutorials , ideally at the point you really need them to be able to continue
oliveralex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #57
Lroncayolo95
Learning The Ropes
Lroncayolo95 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon3 Re: Want to be an electronic music producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
For me this usally works:

1. Open the DAW and star smashing some beats and drums. Be REALLY experimental, no rules here.
2. When you like what you have, add some noises here and there
3. Add some other noises
4. Make sure the noises play well with eachother (not so important though)
5. Few noises here and there, if you notice high peaks or some other freq problems, compress a little and/or eq.
6. Put a limiter on and you have a track wola
Dude, your advice was the weirdest but your track the best of the ones I heard here, I'll listen to you.
Lroncayolo95 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #58
sonic breeze
Minor Glitch
sonic breeze has a spectacular aura aboutsonic breeze has a spectacular aura aboutsonic breeze has a spectacular aura about
amsterdam
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESKOBARR View Post
First of learn to count music if you can,t do so already secondly, get stuck into your DAW and mess around this is the only way it,ll stay with in your brain, its like a bike once you learn how you don,t forget...

Good luck
That's it , and above all , enjoy making music, not just making it to be listened to. PEace!

------------------

We create flow and flow creates us, this movement has a sound.
sonic breeze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #59
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne

This is very helpful all the comments!
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #60
ProJect X
Minor Glitch
ProJect X has a spectacular aura aboutProJect X has a spectacular aura about
Orasje
MC Status: 160

I don't that becuse off money,fame and girls

I work becuse of me,becuse i enjoy doing smething that i like then after me so many others

I love making good chill and emotional sound that can hit your hart and soul

Advertisements

ProJect X is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote