Want to be an electronic music producer - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 18-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Hakuin
Microknight
Hakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to beholdHakuin is a splendid one to behold
Oakland
MC Status: 910
Re: Want to be an electronic music producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinson View Post
How do I create electronic sounds of my own?
I would focus on this aspect first. Get some drum kits and sequencers for Ableton and some VSTIs for sound generation. Then you can work on learning these specific items, because the how-to and the what-does-this-knob-do can only be revealed through experimentation.

Personally, I would recommend getting a groovebox, like an electribe, MC or TB, Oktatrack, MK or MPC, but Ableton is a start and those skills are transferable.

Quote:
How do you structure a average electronic record?
Simply, you cannot see the forest for the trees. Keep plugging away!

Advertisements

------------------
A sample of my live PA set. IDM/Breakcore
Hakuin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Future Sounds of London
Old 19-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238329

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Yeah. Because taking music lessons and learning to make music, to make music, is bullshit.
It is a completely innecessary and redundant step, that might not work for everyone. For a decent number of people, starting with it might even lead to the worst outcome. Giving up.

The goal of all learning is to learn because you enjoy learning. Do not give up, find what you enjoy, and do that. Once you've gotten more accustomed to the world you entered, you'll begin to see the potential benefits for other things. Often, you might have the motivation to do something such as learning to play piano at this point, when you might not have seen the benefits of it.

Telling someone to learn to work electronic music by taking piano lessons is like telling someone wanting to paint surrealist landscapes to start with still life pictures. There is correlation between the two, but it won't be obvious to a beginner, and worst of all, it keeps them away from what they think is the fun part for long.

It has the same issue as teaching physics in current educational system does. You want to learn cool stuff about space? Take 80 credits worth of maths first. See how many people quit. It is much more efficient to learn the difficult, unfun parts of any trade amidst the easy, fun parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Tzu
Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy.
"Work First, Fun Later" - attitude is not only destructive to the learning capabilities of people, but it's also a ridiculous assumption for something people will do as a hobby. It kills motivation and interest. People in clinical studies learn faster and more effectively when they're having fun.

So yes, learning to play an instrument helps. It's a nice thing to do, and quite rewarding. It is not for everyone, and definitely not the way to start for everyone. It might work for you, but the OP is not you. The OP is not me, either.

Threads like this tend to be filled with advice people wish they could've given themselves when they were starting out, or things they did when starting out. You can see from the large number of different approaches that not one way is for anyone. So yes, advocating one way in exclusion of others is bullshit.

The only real advice that can be given is what people making past the entry barrier have in common.

Not giving up.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
There is a lot more to making music than "not giving up."
There isn't a lot more to life than not giving up.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
It is a completely innecessary and redundant step, that might not work for everyone. For a decent number of people, starting with it might even lead to the worst outcome. Giving up.
But everyone's just giving their opinion. OP is free to gauge those responses and walk their own path. Does everyone who offers practical advice need to open with a 'this is what works for me / my opinion' disclaimer? I don't think so (it's already implied), and as such it also seems unnecessary to keep on insisting on the redundancy of all practical replies.

They asked for practical advice - steps to take to realize a goal. I'm not sure what more people can do but offer up their own opinions based on their own experiences. 'Don't give up' isn't much of a practical roadmap, but rather a mindset / attitude / response which, if people haven't figured out already, are unlikely to adopt as a mindset just because someone on the internet said it.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #24
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

Want to produce?

Then produce.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269479108
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,057 Posts

You can't be a producer if you don't have this:

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
PROton42 (19-08-2013)
Old 19-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Buchla... hhhnnnnggg

Some sick shit mannnnn

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
areyoudeaf
Granular Poster
areyoudeaf has a spectacular aura aboutareyoudeaf has a spectacular aura aboutareyoudeaf has a spectacular aura about
reykjavik
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
All of the ideas here are bullshit. The main thing?

Not giving up.

Once you're not going to give up, you will learn. There is no painless lesson. Don't wuss out.
agree on this one,nobody can teach you how to become a producer,you learn it the hard way,listen to songs that you want to be making and try to count the beats 1,2,3,4 and see where all the elements come into play during songs,listen to the rises and the changes and have FUN

it will most likely sound like crap to begin with,unless you were just born with the talent of making music
areyoudeaf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts

Making electronic music is a bit of an odd fish in the art world as one plays so many roles, you are all the musicians in the band, the mix engineer, for many the ME as well. It's unlike other disciplines in that regard.

Having taken a lot of art classes myself, I actually would recommend someone who wants to paint in the surrealistic style learn some realism first--you have to learn the rules before you can break them kinda deal IMO.

For myself, learning even a tiny bit of music theory opened up a huge world to me and I don't feel so much like I'm just randomly poking notes and hoping they fit together. But I am also supremely uninterested in tracks that are bloated with sound design rather than being interesting songs musically.

I've had enough power chords and C Maj three note melodies to last me a life time.

But really the most important thing to remember is to put a donk on it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post

words of wisdom.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #30
sacrifice
Learning The Ropes
sacrifice has a spectacular aura aboutsacrifice has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I never saw giving up as an option. I just make music cause it makes me feel good and because its what i do. You might have to put in ten years before you get it, or maybe 6 months. But when you get "it" all the time you put in will be worth it. If you want it really bad you will get there. If you love it persue it.

Start simple, and as you advance the questions you should be asking will present them selves.
sacrifice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #31
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I see a few people use the term "producer" these days, not really understanding its place in the music industry.

This is my interpretation.

You become an intern in a studio and do crap jobs (cleaning the floor, getting coffees) for a year while finishing high school. After which, you enrol in a sound engineering degree, continue volunteering in that studio for the next 3 years while you finish your degree. Occasionally you will be asked to man the desk when the producer and main engineer leaves the room, but mostly you will be assisting the engineer.

All this time you will be writing music in your spare time, honing your style and learning as much as possible about theory, harmony, counterpoint, arranging etc. You will be become a virtuoso on your chosen instrument.

At some point you will start getting work as a engineer, outright. You will be assisting the producer and at this point you apprenticeship begins! 80% of your work will be with the same producer. Watch and learn. This may go on for a few more years?

All this time you will be writing music in your spare time, honing your style and learning as much as possible about theory, harmony, counterpoint, arranging etc.

Many old time producers also study a degree in music as well (surprise surprise). A double degree is not uncommon. There are lots more music degrees that have a large component of sound engineering these days. Although, to be a respected and proficient "producer" you will want to have equal or better engineering skills then most full-time sound engineers.

Now you are ready to take on the roll of "producer", maybe?

That's the way it went in the 'old' days anyway.

Just for the record, I call myself a "composer". I write, record, and mostly mix, my own music, occasionally getting outside help from better engineers when funds permit. I've been doing this for 40 years and would not consider myself a "producer", although I do produce music. Just because I produce music does not make me a "producer".

Im probably being a bit hard headed about these terms? I hope this gives a new perspective on the honor of calling oneself a "producer"? It may not be the way it happens these days?
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GKM
Vlantis (27-09-2013)
Old 13-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post

NEGATORZ ! youz cant be a mad productorz wiffout TIS !!

aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aeoR
relic (16-09-2013)
Old 15-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
Im probably being a bit hard headed about these terms? I hope this gives a new perspective on the honor of calling oneself a "producer"? It may not be the way it happens these days?
I think things have changed. Sure people used to have to go be a coffee grunt servant and work their way up to get time with a real "producer."

Nowadays, thanks to technology, producing music is assessable to just about anyone. Really they are just words. Think about the millions of rock stars who knew nothing about music but picked up a guitar and made it to stardom by strumming a basic chord. Are they more of a musician because they sold records?

Who really cares who calls themselves what. There is no contest that says x amount of years qualifies you to be a musician, producer or composer.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 15-09-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #34
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Making electronic music is a bit of an odd fish in the art world as one plays so many roles, you are all the musicians in the band, the mix engineer, for many the ME as well. It's unlike other disciplines in that regard.

Having taken a lot of art classes myself, I actually would recommend someone who wants to paint in the surrealistic style learn some realism first--you have to learn the rules before you can break them kinda deal IMO.

For myself, learning even a tiny bit of music theory opened up a huge world to me and I don't feel so much like I'm just randomly poking notes and hoping they fit together. But I am also supremely uninterested in tracks that are bloated with sound design rather than being interesting songs musically.

I've had enough power chords and C Maj three note melodies to last me a life time.

Great post. Art and music really share so much. And learning technique, skill, style, listening and studying all kinds of music will teach you a lot. Then once you get a grasp you can write your own rules. Have your own style.

I like to bring art and music together in that I have an image in my mind that I want to create in sound. It helps give me direction. Also music inspires the art I create. They are interconnected for me.
Old 16-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #35
ttime
Minor Glitch
ttime will become famous soon enough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 60

Some of the other posts have alluded to this, but I think the most important thing is to keep practicing and just keep making music. Especially though is that it's important to consistently finish tracks and then get feedback from others, that's the best way to grow and develop as an artist. The problem with things like tutorials and lessons, while they certainly have their place, is that they can kill your motivation or overwhelm you.
ttime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #36
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Think about the millions of rock stars who knew nothing about music but picked up a guitar and made it to stardom by strumming a basic chord.
The term 'producer', is used a lot loser these days. I agree. Yet what you are saying here has me confused? I can think of a few dozen 'rockstars' that this has happened to. Millions, not! Not even thousands. I doubt there are even 1000 rocksstars on this planet? The thing I noticed with those few 'rockstars' who have massive success with little musical ability is that they usually have, what the French call, schwa di vie. (The X factor). Amazingly, those few Xfactor rock stars do eventually learn to play their instrument like a MF too!

There was a famous book around many years ago called Don Juan. In it it says "If you want to be a knight, act like a knight".

If you want to be a music producer, act like a music producer.

Learn to do everything a music producer does. If you already working full time as an engineer, that puts you right next to a producer for most of your day. Hanging out with successful producers is going to teach you more about how to act like a producer then anything else.

Your going to come up against a lot more then just lack of personal motivation along the way. You have to have a BIG reason to archive success in any area of life, let alone the arts. Eventually you will be challenge and your motivation will be strained. Fame or fortune alone is not enough to motivate you. You need a very deep 'life purpose' to succeed in the arts.

To the OP. you can be whatever you choose to be. I say, fake it till you make it. Most of all, NEVER GIVE UP!

Last edited by GKM; 16-09-2013 at 04:59 AM..

------------------
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #37
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Oh I was just exaggerating! My point was that, like you stated, most people start knowing little and become educated and skilled and yet they are still considered a musician.

I guess the titles really don't bother me. If someone wants to call themselves a producer, then why not? Let their product define who they are rather than a title, or label.
Old 16-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #38
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

I'd start in Ableton using patches and just working out how to arrange the notes and the songs.
Ableton has great tutorials included within the program itself that's what makes it so beginner intuitive.
And after you have that down, i'd move onto modifying/creating your own synth sounds from basic patches. (The Operator synth is probably the most basic)..

Lots of trial and error is the most fun

Last edited by ZheNhir; 16-09-2013 at 05:41 PM..
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
skunkhaze
Radial Developer
skunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippit View Post
Read ableton help files!

post of the year
skunkhaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #40
EjMU
Analog Lurker
EjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
For the past month, I have been looking at random tutorials on creating basslines and kick drums. Ive even started reading a book on dance music. However, I am still lost. I have no idea how to create a song. What instruments do I have to use? How do you create a melody? How do I create electronic sounds of my own? How do you structure a average electronic record? Basically, I want to know the steps it takes to be an electronic producer.

P.S. I am starting out using Ableton 9
My answer to you is to plow a massive amount of tutorials, in the begining it dosent really matter if they suck or if they are good, just get to learn the DAW your using.

When you are more familiar with the program learn what all the knobs on the synths and effects etc do.

Then plow some more tutorials till youre eyes bleed

Advertisements

------------------