Need Some Bassline to Vocals, scale theory help on my track. Sample snippet attached
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler
mic3756 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Need Some Bassline to Vocals, scale theory help on my track. Sample snippet attached

Hello,

I've been working on a beat, I added these vocals and just started writing a bassline. Im trying to get it in Key. I ran it through Melodyne and mixed in key, came up with E Flat Major. So I've been playing all the notes in E Flat Major and this is what I've came up with.

Sample
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Image of melodyne and bass notes in Ableton

I'm really hoping someone can suggest some alternative notes or if they can help decide the key. I have messed around with it, playing different notes but still trying to develop an ear for what sounds best, I found playing the third last note one semitone up witch is B sounds nice but its not in the key of E flat major?

Last edited by mic3756; 19-04-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Advertisements

mic3756 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Re: Need Some Bassline to Vocals, scale theory help on my track. Sample snippet attac

Use triads and work out a chord progression before you write the bassline.

frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler
Re: Need Some Bassline to Vocals, scale theory help on my track. Sample snippet attac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchboy View Post
Use triads and work out a chord progression before you write the bassline.

Thanks thats a cool video, Well I feel like I have got up to the step you suggested. Tried to figure out the Key and then the notes the signer is signing and then played a bassline around that. But like I said I have been playing around also with the notes in and around the key and this was the best I could hear with my ears, But I do feel that It is just off the mark and my ears cant hear. Hoping I can get some suggestions to figure out what Im not getting right
Old 19-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

So moving the third last note would be flat fifth then. But I would really like to know what Key the vocal and what notes the signer is singing as to my guess E flat major but just not sure at all as I don't trust Melodyne
Old 19-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic3756 View Post
So moving the third last note would be flat fifth then. But I would really like to know what Key the vocal and what notes the signer is singing as to my guess E flat major but just not sure at all as I don't trust Melodyne
I dont have a good ear enough to tell you what key it's it. What are the notes that melodyne gives you?

From only the vocals melodyne might not be able to tell exactly which key, could be a few possibility of keys.

You dont need to key to work out a chord progression though.. Use any triad that has one note from the vocal in it during its playing. Then i might end up with a song using one key or a few keys,
Old 19-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
mic3756
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchboy View Post
I dont have a good ear enough to tell you what key it's it. What are the notes that melodyne gives you?

From only the vocals melodyne might not be able to tell exactly which key, could be a few possibility of keys.

You dont need to key to work out a chord progression though.. Use any triad that has one note from the vocal in it during its playing. Then i might end up with a song using one key or a few keys,

Heres the image of melodyne and the notes been played in Ableton

I was thinking about using a mono bass ( as I've been told most baselines are normally in mono). Then using a chord progression this the lead sound and making sure the bass note coincides with the chord lead sound
Old 19-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
frenchboy
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic3756 View Post
Heres the image of melodyne and the notes been played in Ableton

I was thinking about using a mono bass ( as I've been told most baselines are normally in mono). Then using a chord progression this the lead sound and making sure the bass note coincides with the chord lead sound
The bass isn't your chord progression, it's a part of your progression (the lowest note) so if you chord is A minor you'll have your A in the bass. You could use an inversion and put a C or E in the bass, but you can't really put anything else otherwise it won't be an A minor anymore. There's only 3 notes in a chord so if you use 5 instruments you'll have to repeat one of the notes twice (which is fine). You can also use other notes that are chord additions, and inverse the order of the notes, and place them in any octave you want.

As for which scale, there's no way to know, the notes are c# d# a#, there's many scales that use these notes, you can use any of these scales and it will sound good. Since it ends and begin with C#, and that C# minor doesn't use A#, a good option would be to do it in C# Major.

When you choose a scale just google it and look on wikipedia what are the triads of that scale.

Advertisements