something Ive been wondering on for months
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 30-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
FoDriZZlE
Knob Twiddler
FoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura aboutFoDriZZlE has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
something Ive been wondering on for months

Why do DJs use headphones when they play? I see the put it on and off when they play, why? :s

Advertisements

FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts
Re: something Ive been wondering on for months

How else would they know that the song they're bringing in is at the correct bpm?
How else would they know that the track they're bringing isn't too loud / too soft?

Especially with vinyl & cd's - you need to cue the second track in your headphones to match the bpm with the track in your monitors. If you didn't do that, the crowd would hear off-beats and clashes every time you wanted to bring another track in.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Benwaa

So they can listen and cue the next track without it playing "live" over the track that playing over the pa/club system and sounding awful. Also in terms of beat matching djing it allows the DJ to get the two records in time to create a mix between the tracks without it sounding a train wreck of a mix
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts

Same reason why musicians have in-ear/monitors/drum-fills on stage and why their manager/booking agent have mobile phones and why their nightline driver have glasses and maps and/or GPS and why the blind person (that the driver just almost ran over) have a stick when walking. Same reason why the groupies use mirrors.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
R A N S O M
Minor Glitch
R A N S O M has a spectacular aura aboutR A N S O M has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Because they've never heard of Ableton :mayonesa:
R A N S O M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A N S O M View Post
This makes no sense at all. Care to explain your statement?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589330
Thanked 7,968 Times in 5,600 Posts

^Spam?

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Empty Reach
Banned
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Which ones the bigger troll? lol
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
R A N S O M
Minor Glitch
R A N S O M has a spectacular aura aboutR A N S O M has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

When you "dj" with Ableton, you don't need headphones because everything is already beatmatched, and you can even go so far as editing volume/pitch modulations into the tracks ahead of time. But of course, this isn't real DJ'ing, and I was kidding, hoping to push a few buttons maybe. I use and love Ableton, but will concede it isn't in the same league as turntables or even CDJ's

...and I was responding to the original question

------------------
R A N S O M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast
MC Status: 3901373

All the best djs know how to press the sync button.

FACT!
kingldub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to kingldub
PROton42 (13-01-2013)
Old 13-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249551787
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Because if you're not beatmatching, the music just isn't worth listening to, at it's core.

(OK This is officially my favorite thread on IDMf)

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast

Yeah but what core? Donkcore? Trapcore? Dubcore?
Old 13-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249551787
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Oh shit, good question I totally didn't think about it that way.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
KaliTheMisfit
Soundscaper
KaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant future
Liverpool
MC Status: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A N S O M View Post
I use Ableton and I still need my headphones.

Any respectful DJ will use the headphones just to make sure the tracks are beat matched correctly and that both tunes are at the same noise levels (meaning setting up gain and such to make sure both tracks sound equally loud and clear - quality of tracks varies, especially with mp3's)

Ableton can do quite a bit, don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't take it as gospel and still check what you're doing.

Using Ableton only and no headphones seems a bit cocky and foolish, IMO.

Oh and if you're writing music and you ask why do DJ's use headphones, I would go back to the drawing board and watch some stuff on the art of DJing and turntablism.

Last edited by KaliTheMisfit; 13-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: heat of the moment typos

------------------

http://www.facebook.com/warpmaiden
https://soundcloud.com/warpmaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBeats View Post
hell yeah, i fuck shit up wherever i go 24/7 420yoloswag 666 hail satan smoke meth!
KaliTheMisfit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Related

https://www.facebook.com/m8pls?ref=ts&fref=ts
Old 13-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
KaliTheMisfit
Soundscaper
KaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant futureKaliTheMisfit has a brilliant future
Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingldub View Post
comprehensible grammar and spellcheck would do that page a world of good.

------------------

Quote:
hell yeah, i fuck shit up wherever i go 24/7 420yoloswag 666 hail satan smoke meth!
Old 13-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliTheMisfit View Post
comprehensible grammar and spellcheck would do that page a world of good.
You might have missed the point there
Old 13-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
KaliTheMisfit
Soundscaper
Liverpool

Quote:
You might have missed the point there
I agree with the point, I just like to be able to read my English, not having to work it out like a puzzle in The Da Vinci Code...

------------------

Quote:
Old 13-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Yeah, but do you compress though?
Old 13-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
KaliTheMisfit
Soundscaper
Liverpool

Quote:
Yeah, but do you compress though?
Sir, yes sir!! :2420ddd::2420ddd::victory:

Advertisements

------------------

Quote: