Does this sound difficult to make?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
MatrixGravity
Radial Developer
MatrixGravity will become famous soon enough
New York
MC Status: 60
Does this sound difficult to make?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzxMAyrEEM#t=1m04s

Starts exactly at 1:04. From what it sounds like, there is a sidechain-bassline present, and it's very thick and prominent throughout the entire melody. Layered on top of the sidechain bass, there is what sounds like a SAW based lead playing through.. Do I have that right so far? Any tips on how I can recreate a melody like this? It's a very inspiring track for me and I just really want to incorporate something like that into my productions.. Thank you.!

Advertisements

MatrixGravity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283334
Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,760 Posts
Re: Does this sound like a difficult melody to make?

mate you could actually make a song similar to this one very easily

getting it to sound like that would be difficult (for me anyway) but im sure there are a few plugins you could buy that would do all the squashing and exciting and expanding or whatever is going off here

if you get one of those housey plugins that all the housey people use im sure that melody will be a preset. probably a saw wave (i cant tell these things anymore for some reason) with the filter wide open and a bit of distortion maybe

reading this back i have no idea why i thought i was the appropriate person to answer this question

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
MatrixGravity
Radial Developer
MatrixGravity will become famous soon enough
New York
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
mate you could actually make a song similar to this one very easily

getting it to sound like that would be difficult (for me anyway) but im sure there are a few plugins you could buy that would do all the squashing and exciting and expanding or whatever is going off here

if you get one of those housey plugins that all the housey people use im sure that melody will be a preset. probably a saw wave (i cant tell these things anymore for some reason) with the filter wide open and a bit of distortion maybe

reading this back i have no idea why i thought i was the appropriate person to answer this question
Lol thanks for your response . I have a few good plugins like Sylenth and Massive, but the presets on it suck. I think the really good sounds that he used, I would probably have to buy soundpacks and stuff
MatrixGravity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283334
Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,760 Posts

i promise you these sounds are very simple. very easy to make from scratch

sylenth should do the trick nicely... never used it but ive heard it in the same circles as people that make this kinda stuff

honestly just try 2 saw waves. one tuned to -4 one tunes to 4 and open the cutoff on the filter all the way. see what it sounds like. try and identify what its missing and experiment with any thing you can think of to try and get it closer. its a good way to learn

then you can write the worlds simplest melody and hey presto you have a terrible pop song

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
ChrisRacha
Granular Poster
ChrisRacha is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

These sounds indeed are actually really standard. From what I heard, it consists of 3 sounds: The mainlead, the chords, and the bass. The latter can be sidechained together really hard to get the pumping sound.

If you have Sylenth, then it should be absolutely no problem to recreate it. Just look through a couple of present (contrary to you I think that they are actually quite good) - you probably will find something to start there.
For the bass I'd suggest you experiment with drive, to get it sound raw enough.
The other two sounds are basically standard supersaw sounds (a lot of voices, 2 or more oscs, detuned, maybe a filter envelope). You can also try and play around with square oscs

Advertisements

ChrisRacha is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote