Sub-bass and cheap headphones
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Lito
Granular Poster
Lito has a spectacular aura aboutLito has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Sub-bass and cheap headphones

Ok, so i have a quick question. I don't know if im actually hearing the sub-bass on some of my tracks so i just don't add it to the tracks. I have some $40 skullcandy headphones and I don't know if what i hear when i try to make the sub-bass is actually the sub-bass. It's really hard for me to take producing seriously when i'm missing one of the major components of a dubstep song and i can't really do anything about it because i'm too broke to buy some actual monitors or expensive headphones.

Opinions, suggestions, ideas? Thanks guys.

Advertisements

Lito is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Spaveech
Learning The Ropes
Spaveech is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Sub-bass and cheap headphones

If your using FL studio use the parametric EQ2 to see where your sound lies on the frequency spectrum. If its below 200hz its generally considered bass.
Spaveech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Imho, don't produce on cheap/crappy Scullcandy. Get monitors and/or dedicated headphones for production.

Sub bass is generally below 90Hz-ish.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
don't produce on cheap/crappy Scullcandy. Get monitors and/or dedicated headphones for production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lito View Post
i can't really do anything about it because i'm too broke to buy some actual monitors or expensive headphones.
The only real solution is: Don't make dubstep . Seriously though - if you can't hear what you're creating you're going to struggle a bit. So either leave that component out or explore other styles where you can get away with not having a sub-bass layer.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Lito
Granular Poster

hmm. I really want to produce dubstep but i can't find a solution.

If you guys have monitors, can you please tell me how these two songs sound? i dont really know as i've never played them on monitors. is there enough bass?

here, check them out: http://soundcloud.com/officialito
Old 14-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
Lito
Granular Poster

can somebody please check out the link and give some opinions. Especially if you have good monitors because i have no idea what it sounds like on monitors.
Old 14-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
b_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MC
Imaginationland
MC Status: 4595515

Your only chance is to reference your tunes A/B style with proper tunes that you have from professional producers. If you can hear the sub bass there at all and you know how they actually sound - then you can pick it up on your own. If there is absolutely no response even with good tunes, then you are left with spectrum analyzers and the power of the guess.

------------------
b_fnk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Lito
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_fnk View Post
Your only chance is to reference your tunes A/B style with proper tunes that you have from professional producers. If you can hear the sub bass there at all and you know how they actually sound - then you can pick it up on your own. If there is absolutely no response even with good tunes, then you are left with spectrum analyzers and the power of the guess.
I hear the sub on some tracks but its very subtle. Could you please do me the huge favor of listening to my song if you have good monitors and telling me if I have a decent amount of bass? It would mean alot to me.
Old 14-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
b_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MC
Imaginationland

I can tell after listening that you've been very cautious about the bass sounds. The beats sound solid but your bass sounds definitely lack a bit of extra lows. Unfortunately my speakers are crap as fuck, so I can't give you a monitor reference. Basically your basses are too much in the mid range and lack low end, so perhaps you can boost 2-3db above what you do normally now. Upload your tunes on a stick and check them out at a friends (or something like that) until you can get normal speakers. I do my mixes between monitoring headphones, which are quite bad at bass, and shitty desktops for 20, it doesn't need to be mega expensive to do the job.

------------------
Old 14-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Lito
Granular Poster

thanks for the honest response man, it really helps to know other peoples opinions. There's a store nearby me that sells studio monitors and dj stuff and they don't care if people try them out so i think im just gonna bring the .wav over there and check out what the tune sounds like. big thanks again for the response though.
Old 14-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271
Icon2 Re: Sub-bass and cheap headphones

Use an EQ meter to view the low end (30hz - 200hz) and you will see the sub bass hits.

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
Imaginationland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lito View Post
thanks for the honest response man, it really helps to know other peoples opinions. There's a store nearby me that sells studio monitors and dj stuff and they don't care if people try them out so i think im just gonna bring the .wav over there and check out what the tune sounds like. big thanks again for the response though.
That is actually an awesome thing to do, shows you are hardcore about this and will leave you with pleasant memories for sure And yes, I have mostly gotten better by the help of forum people and it has been all for free. Good time to live in, eh? Some would argue.

Plus, when you work on it and resort to spectrum analyzers you will develop the monitoring skill early on and this will only be of help in future.

Good luck man!

------------------
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
PouyaDH
Granular Poster
PouyaDH will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 60

u still could make the sub bass that u have in mind, the one u're talking about is under 25Hz that barely is audible...u need sth fat between 0-70 Hz
chose an already fat bass, move it low, not as much low as it loses its characteristic, cut anything above70 HZ or 80HZ (up to urself)
then drop another bass on top of that, sth that blends in nicely, that's how i did it when i didn't have monitors, u could also boost the FRQ around 55-60HZ like 2 or 3db, that fattens up ur bass too
''V''
PouyaDH is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
KlimtMusic
Learning The Ropes
KlimtMusic is currently spamming hard

normally you cannot even hear the real sub basses on headphones like that. if you really want to work properly, use a spectrum analyser kind of vst, and learn the frequency ranges ( sub between 30 and 90 hz, basses between 90 and and 200 hz ...) and while you do that, find a way to spare some money and go on 5 inches monitor like HS50 or KRK which will change your life, i tell ya !
KlimtMusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #15
tdotbear
Knob Twiddler
tdotbear has a spectacular aura abouttdotbear has a spectacular aura abouttdotbear has a spectacular aura about
Toronto, ON
MC Status: 210

I'm using Pioneer headphones atm. Before these, I couldn't hear the sub. The results were.. less than pleasing once I got to hear how fucked up the lower frequency range was on those mixes.

But anyways, any DJing headphones should have sub. Just look at the frequency range. I think the ones I have are supposed to go all the way down to 8Hz or something like that. Definitely the best investment I've made this far gear-wise.

------------------
TdotBEAR - Stellar (TdotBEAR Trap Mix)

http://soundcloud.com/tdotbear
tdotbear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #16
Will.E.P.
Ghostly
Will.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MCWill.E.P. is a savage MC
North Carolina
MC Status: 7678117

Honestly, man. You need something else to listen on. There are more problems with the mix on your tunes than the bass. You can get something better for cheap.

Amazon.com: Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System: Electronics Amazon.com: Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System: Electronics

Check these out.... They're not studio monitors, but they are pretty good for the price. I use them as mix reference speakers, and they sound pretty good. Just turn the bass all the way down on the sub so you aren't over compensating for too much bass.

Even if you had studio monitors you'd need to check your tune out on lots of different speakers. If you are broke, getting something like that is about the best you can do. Then save up money for a good pair of monitors.

------------------
- William

Will.E.P. (Me) - Polaroids
Will.E.P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
genozid
Granular Poster
genozid will become famous soon enoughgenozid will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

If you are broke you really need to save up some bucks for decent headphones/speakers. I had Sennheiser HD 558 (~150bucks) before i got my Audezes. They are pretty decent for low priced headphones. It will be a lot easier to work on you EQing / mix with a pair of decent headphones.
And always try to listen to your tracks a couple od different Headphones/speakers if possible.
genozid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
KilaarS
Minor Glitch
KilaarS is currently spamming hard

i've found the Sony MDR-XB series suitable for producing music as a hobby. They are provided with fat bass (especially the XB-1000, what a boom) and good sound quality in general. Even the smallest model of the series XB-300 works good (using them currently) and they only cost around 30.
KilaarS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Skullcandies are shit but surely you can hear the sub? play a sine wave up and down the octaves and check it with an EQ to see where its hitting. If you are hearing stuff below 80hz then you have sub bass. As mentioned before though don't mix on crappy skullcandies unless you are desperate. You can get a 50$ pair of Sennheisers that produce the full spectrum, stay away from commercial headphones IMO but that being said headphones are crap for mixing sub bass because you can't feel it.

Advertisements

CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote