[DUB/IDM/WTF/FAWM] First FAWM Track, Advice needed
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 17-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Adharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really nice
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 360
[DUB/IDM/WTF/FAWM] First FAWM Track, Advice needed

Alright Guys,

I finally finished my first track for my FAWM goal of a 4-Track EP (yes I know, officially FAWM says 14 tracks, but this is the most realistic goal I can make).

I've spent about a week or two working on this track, and I'm pretty proud of it, however I have realized I have no idea how to EQ/Master my own work, so I'm really looking for some pointers, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

IMO this is the strongest work I've produced in many years, and I'd really like to polish this into something worthwhile. Thank you in advance for taking the time to listen an making any suggestions.

Also, any ideas for naming this track would be welcome

Advertisements

------------------
Adharma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [DUB/IDM/WTF/FAWM] First FAWM Track, Advice needed.
Old 17-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589580
Thanked 7,973 Times in 5,602 Posts
Re: [DUB/IDM/WTF/FAWM] First FAWM Track, Advice needed

I know it's a mix thing, but I can barely hear the kick. Over all I like it, nice chill ubeat-ish vibe. Tad more variations could bring this to life.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
keiss
IDMf Supporter
keiss is a jewel in the roughkeiss is a jewel in the roughkeiss is a jewel in the rough
Arkhangelsk
MC Status: 260

I liked the track on both the content and on quality. Nice FM-Synth starting with 1.12. Good job!
keiss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
futuresoundproj
Radial Developer
futuresoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the roughfuturesoundproj is a jewel in the rough
NJ
MC Status: 310

Pretty sweet man, reminds me of M83 in a way, i could see this being the "backing track" to an epic song. Do you sing at all?

Either way good job!

------------------
"Working without respite toward the construction of the perfect pop song for the tribes of the global village"
-Ralf Hütter
futuresoundproj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
DaveCNewton
Analog Lurker
DaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura about
Manchester
MC Status: 210

More prominent drums would help, I like the reverb tail on the snare, gives the track a lot of depth.

There is definitely a strong sense of melody when I listen, it keeps the track interesting, good work!
DaveCNewton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Adharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really nice
Lawrence, KS

Thanks all for the advice and for the ratings!! I will definitely get back into the studio this week and try and eq the drums out a bit more, hopefully bring out that kick. In my SRH440's they sounded okay, but I didn't really test the mix outside of them (I know, shame on me )

@DaveCNewton when you say more prominent, do you mean bringing them out in the mix more, or composing a more "lively" drum track? Just curious.

@relic Do you mean variations on the melody?

------------------
Old 18-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69860
Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,035 Posts

I like the melody and the hi hat groove, feels solid rhythm wise,

around 2:50 with the solo piece, I feel is my favorite part,

although the tiny pieces how nicely done they are, is really awesome,

But only bad Things I could point out that would help is maybe another thing to go with this instrument wise like a bass or maybe make the kick stronger to compensate for that?

either way man, cheers, nice fawm track :victory:
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Lawrence, KS

Originally I had a sub-line following the synth towards the middle there, but not sure if it just didn't show up in the mix. You're right though, I think its missing a little something to compliment the main melody..

------------------
Old 19-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
DaveCNewton
Analog Lurker
DaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura about
Manchester
MC Status: 210

When I say prominent I mean more foreground, in your face, bigger!

This might not be the style your after but if you listen at a low volume you lose the bass drum altogether. I think they could do with coming up in the mix slightly

------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DaveCNewton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Lawrence, KS

@Dave Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to bring that mix up!

------------------
Old 19-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

I like this a lot. The composition is really good.

mix down wise, if you spend a lot of time playing the track through as many different sets of speakers as possible with the aim of producing a consistent mix over all of them you'll end up with a pretty good mix down.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750093

Neat little track.

I also really didn't feel/hear the kick that well, adding the reverbed percussion makes it feel like I'm listening to it from another room.

Definitely something to come back to.

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Lawrence, KS

So I've spent the last week or so working on the mix, and here's the updated version.

Thoughts? Thanks again for taking a listen.

Advertisements

------------------