Mastering directly in the mixdown?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Lallo
Granular Poster
Lallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of lightLallo is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 503
Mastering directly in the mixdown?

I've been thinking... Is it possible to master a track with good results in the actual mixdown?

So far I've been mixing the track, leaving about -4 to -6 db headroom on the stereo output, bouncing it then working with it as a audio file when mastering...

But, couldn't the mastering be done in the actual mixdown ? I mean if you are going to master it yourself anyway? And when not having the audio file as regular mastering, it's much easier to go back to any specific sound in your mix to change it's levels or anything...

Do you understand what I mean? Is this a good way to master?

Advertisements

Lallo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Rob Murray
Knob Twiddler
Rob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MCRob Murray is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 7194817
Re: Mastering directly in the mixdown?

Nothing wrong here. The biggest problem is that knowing you can quickly tweak a hat, synth, etc can put you back in mixing mode not mastering mode. Technically though, if anything you'll have better resolution. Also this makes it much harder to master in reference to the surrounding tracks, or deal with timings as you're not importing multiple mixes into one session.

------------------
Rob Murray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Trace Elements
Soundscaper
Trace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MC
MC Status: 4716700

I think it depends on what level of release your going for, the pros will argue that no it's best to leave mastering to a seperate mastering engineer. First it will be a clean set of ears, and second mastering tools and work flow is generally different than mixing.

Also as mentioned usually you keep them seperate in case you go back and have a case of the changies and do anything that effects dynamics.

plenty of indy guys do their own mix downs and mastering, but a fresh pair of ears do bring something to a song. personally I would treat them as seperate actions but I also don't master my own stuff.
Trace Elements is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3064619

Maybe I am missing something but I do not see an issue with this but keep in mind if you decide to tweak the mix at all to first bypass all mastering effects so you are back to the original mix, otherwise you will start mixing to the master and that IMO is not a good route to take
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593

If you accept the same flaws in the monitoring system for both mixing and mastering, then it's the way to go.

------------------
Years Ahead since 2010
Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now

Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3064619

Guess I should have mentioned that my first choice would also be to do outside mastering as well!

Always good to have more ears on the project, especially highly trained ears with the proper tools and acoustics for the job!
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
growler
Regular Freak
growler is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I reckon it's best to finish the mix and wait a week or so without listening to it to freshen your ears up. Then do the master as a separate exercise.

Of course to get a feel for what the mix might be like with the loudness ramped up, maybe slap a limiter on the master buss whilst mixing to see if any sounds jump out or get squashed back too much.

Often I master using a few stems rather than just a single stereo file - Kick, Sub Bass and Rest works for me. You can apply different amounts of compression to different parts and make subtle level adjustments then at that stage.
growler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
napalmbob
MaKiNG PHaT BeaTZ
napalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MC
Geelong/Victoria
MC Status: 1130741

personally, I just slap an EQ to sweeten it up, maybe some saturation and definitely a limiter on the master and punch it out to MP3. But I'm not a pro. It does make sense if you are releasing it on a label and it needs to sound similar to their other stuff, or if you are doing an album/LP and need everything to be at the same levels, then do it seperately and/or with someone else.

------------------
"Alot of people these days seem to listen to music through their eyes." - DoctaMario
napalmbob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593

Using mp3 for mixdown is a crime.

------------------
Years Ahead since 2010
Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now

Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
growler
Regular Freak
growler is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Using mp3 for mixdown is a crime.
Agree fully. mp3 as a format should actually be banned. It was invented to save space when storage was expensive. If you want to really listen to music, use 24 bit WAV or AIFF. Of course the damn CD format is 16 bit so will grudgingly accept that. </rant>
growler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18030769

i would say, as long as your CPU can handle everything you want to throw at it then yes.
there would be advantages and disadvantages, but if it works for you then do it.

personally i need to write my track, bounce, mix, bounce, then master (or in my case have someone else master). my computer cant deal with much so each stage needs to be done separately.

i do have to agree with a couple of people here who say its better to have somebody else master your track to get an unbiased set of ears on it though.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote