Identifying genre
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
crossmr
IDMf's latest spammer
crossmr is currently spamming hard
Seoul
MC Status: 10
Icon5 Identifying genre

I used to listen to a lot of electronic music, but in recent years I kind of fell out with it. Moving around, collections getting destroyed, lost, etc.

Recently I've been getting a bit of a craving, but I'll be damned if I can find the stuff I used to really like.

I've searched genre descriptions up and down, but haven't quite found it.

Specifically I used to really enjoy a type of trance/techno that was a little more mellow and contained vocals. It isn't Happy Hardcore, I did enjoy Happy Hardcore, but it wasn't such a fast beat, and through all my searching, it doesn't seem to actually be vocal trance either, as all the random vocal trance songs I've been pulling up have far too many vocals in it.

The tracks I used to like were of reasonable length 5-6+ minutes
and would have long sections with no vocals, and often when the vocals came in the beats themselves would almost die out..

Force and Styles - Heart of Gold has some of the elements of what I liked, the cut out for the vocals in some parts, and much larger spacing between the vocals, but it's a bit faster/harder than what I'm looking for right now. I should mention the time I was hearing a lot of tracks like this was around 2000ish.

Any pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated if anyone could follow my jumbled stream of thought.

Advertisements

crossmr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199653318
Thanked 5,081 Times in 3,257 Posts
Re: Identying genre

Just listen to Autechre and forget about that other shit.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
crossmr
IDMf's latest spammer
Seoul

Thanks, but not even close
Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Empty Reach
Banned
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

These are slower with singing in some parts and most importantly NOT trance...

Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmr View Post
Thanks, but not even close

...I know; that was my point.

------------------
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Reach View Post
These are slower with singing in some parts and most importantly NOT trance...

Nice tracks!

OP-
I bet you will like this...so beautiful...

And this is what trance should sound like

One of my favorites...

Last edited by Muse-ic; 10-09-2011 at 05:55 AM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

This site is beyond cool...

It breaks down all the genres..

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/music.swf

The descriptions are pretty hilarious too...

"
The average attention span, way too ritalin-freaked to pay attention to the slow brooding trance in its original form, like the anthemic singalong tone of the New McTrance, and that's why all you trance crackers are reading this right now. Not because you grew a taste for this super awesome underground music or you discovered it all by yourself once upon a time. But because trance reformed its sound and delivery to suit your sweet toothed, top 40 pop music consuming tastes. Because the truth is Epic trance is not actually trance per se. It is powdered, sugar coated pop schmaltz draped over trance for easy digestion by giggling highschool girls and poser trendy typed who would never think to even blink at trance in its raw incarnate. This is the musical equivalent of drowning a meal in ketchup so you can't taste the original flavor anymore. "
LOL!!!!

Last edited by Muse-ic; 10-09-2011 at 05:36 AM..
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

This song sounds like it MIGHT fit your description...

(Ignore that it's by Scooter, it's quite a bit different from their usual fare. )

Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
crossmr
IDMf's latest spammer
Seoul

Quote:
OP-
I bet you will like this...so beautiful...
I've enjoyed a bit of ambient from time to time, but what I had in mind is faster. If I still had my old collection I'd probably be able to find the old tracks I enjoyed.

Quote:
This site is beyond cool...

It breaks down all the genres..
That is a cool site thanks. I've run through various genres trying to pinpoint the tracks I liked over 10 years ago...but I can't quite find the ones I remember from the raves..
some of them yes..but.. some have eluded me for years.

Quote:
And this is what trance should sound like
that's a good track, but far more vocals than I'm looking for.. I'm looking for the kind of song that really builds up over a long period, then breaks away to a nice female vocal

Quote:
This song sounds like it MIGHT fit your description...

(Ignore that it's by Scooter, it's quite a bit different from their usual fare.
I like a few of his tracks. Nessaja is another one that is similar, but a little harder than what I remember. Remove Scooter's bit during the track and leave just the female vocals and it's a closer match..but without the progression that I'm thinking about

Going off that site, maybe I'm thinking of some kind of progressive/anthem trance mixed with vocals.
But man it's really hard to sort it all out.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786179
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmr View Post
I like a few of his tracks. Nessaja is another one that is similar, but a little harder than what I remember. Remove Scooter's bit during the track and leave just the female vocals and it's a closer match..but without the progression that I'm thinking about.
I'm a sucker for man-vocals, so of course I love that song. :ph34r:

Have you heard Weekend by Scooter? It has a structure similiar to Nessaja.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about now, and it doesn't really have a specific genre name, although the Hands-Up genre usually fits your description. It's essentially pop-dance/trance that happens to have vocals and isn't the radio cut.

I would suggest Brooklyn Bounce, Cascada, and probably some Basshunter.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
In sharky waters
MC Status: 400169760
Re: Identifying genre

I accidentally repped Mindsweeper. I thought she was jawking.

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
crossmr
IDMf's latest spammer
Seoul

Quote:
I think I know exactly what you're talking about now, and it doesn't really have a specific genre name, although the Hands-Up genre usually fits your description. It's essentially pop-dance/trance that happens to have vocals and isn't the radio cut.
No, it isn't very pop-dance at all..it's often more smooth/dreamy during the build up.. at least during the build up. They weren't tracks I was hearing in the clubs at the times. It was certainly nothing like what I'd heard on the radio.. the vocals were far too infrequent for radio play and the tracks too long.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #13
Muse-ic
Wanderer

How about this....

Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
How about this...
Yeah, or what about this...

------------------
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
Muse-ic
Wanderer

LOL! Just kill me now...
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #16
Empty Reach
Banned
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

^I've that track as my ringtone RFJ

This track (the original) has 61,000 views and another version thats speeded up has 9,000,000
That kind of shit pisses me off
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #17
Muse-ic
Wanderer

I'm sure I listen to music that many would rather jump off a cliff than listen to. lol

By the way the Rui Da Silva track ^^^ is not bad at all.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 11-09-2011 at 03:03 AM..

Advertisements