[IDM]Kris Cadwell - a russian novel, you said
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
nametag
Radial Developer
nametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210
[IDM]Kris Cadwell - a russian novel, you said

This is the outcome of my goal of expressing sadness with electronic music. I feel like that was a challenge, as mostly I seem to create unemotional dark or euphoric moods. I imagine some people think of this goal dismissively, but I strongly believe expression is the main responsibility of the artist. It is also the core of Carl Jung's method of 'active imagination', which became the basis of all art therapies.

Anyway, I was wondering if other people hear sadness in this or not. Also any tips on the EQ could be helpful, I am never totally confident in the EQ.

Advertisements

nametag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [IDM]Kris Cadwell - a russian novel, you said.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts
Re: [IDM]Kris Cadwell - a russian novel, you said

Sounds good man. The drums are full and well varied, if a little too forward at places. The piano sounds nice (is that a suspended arpeggio at the start). Musically I'm a bit unconvinced by the change around 2:50.

I think the strengths of this are the beats. While I do hear some sadness in it, that sits a bit strangely against the beats for some reason.

Anyway, interesting track.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

This is quite a cool track, except I don't hear too much sadness. When the piano starts in the beginning though, I imagined someone like in the movies, frantically moving around trying to think what to do with the body of someone they had accidentally killed. At many places I still get that dark mood coming about.

Production-wise, it sounds really good, the sounds seem to be placed well imo.

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
nametag
Radial Developer
nametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
The piano sounds nice (is that a suspended arpeggio at the start).
Actually it is more of a Dmaj chord with a Cm extension for the first 2 measures, which then changes to a Cmaj extension (with a minor 6th) in the next 2 measures. The second to last note in the 8 measure loop brings back the minor third of the C however, which I just did because I liked it. Unusual but that is what I enjoy. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

You mean C - D - Eb - F# - G - A, rooted around DM? That's some sort of Jewish scale I enjoy playing around with sometimes (sorry to derail your thread, ignore if you want).

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
nametag
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
This is quite a cool track, except I don't hear too much sadness. When the piano starts in the beginning though, I imagined someone like in the movies, frantically moving around trying to think what to do with the body of someone they had accidentally killed. At many places I still get that dark mood coming about.

Production-wise, it sounds really good, the sounds seem to be placed well imo.
I think you are right, I seem to instinctively lean toward dark rather than sad. I will just stick with that I suppose since I do it well.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
nametag
Radial Developer

Quote:
You mean C - D - Eb - F# - G - A, rooted around DM? That's some sort of Jewish scale I enjoy playing around with sometimes (sorry to derail your thread, ignore if you want).
Not quite, as the Eflat changes to E at one point, and Gsharp is there as well. I often enjoy chromatically manipulating chords instead of using scales, so the jewish scale you are thinking of was not involved in my conception.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

I listened to this already when it popped up on my soundcloud a couple of days ago. Really like the contrast of the percussion to the mellower synths/samples.

The arrangement does it for me as well. I quite like the piano. It's perhaps more moody than sad. Listening on total crap speakers atm so no comment on production.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Megacharge
Microknight
Megacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond repute
Montreal
MC Status: 2264

I really like this track, I think it's well done, however, I have to agree that I don't really hear the sadness in this track.

------------------
Megacharge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

The percussion is so much fun. EEP happy.

OMG. Jazzy chords. /me eats them for breakfast. That's a beautiful texture! Actually, the chords and psychotic beats make me happily manic and bouncy.

I do see what you mean about the mix, but I'm not so good at pulling out specific layers as some people I know. I just know to highpass/lowcut everything besides the kick/bass at the highest range where it doesn't warp the sound of that particular layer in how I want to present it. Additionally, figure out where specific layers have the vibrancy/tones that you want to shine through, and cut small dips in a few other of the tracks to create space in the mix for that. Finally, mute the track except the kick and try to see what the kick sounds like alone, with the mix, alone, with the bass, alone... if it's missing it's kick/punch, tweak tweak tweakerdidodaday.
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175278290
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
Sounds good man. The drums are full and well varied, if a little too forward at places. The piano sounds nice (is that a suspended arpeggio at the start). Musically I'm a bit unconvinced by the change around 2:50.

I think the strengths of this are the beats. While I do hear some sadness in it, that sits a bit strangely against the beats for some reason.

Anyway, interesting track.
Pretty much this. Percussion in particular sticks out for me, doesn't sound like a wide variety of hits but that's kind of good because it's like one "kit" almost, but sequenced excellently. I love those little rolls off the snare and stuff, it all sounds quite dynamic.

I really hate that fuzzy sound that comes in somewhere around 1.30

And yeah, like others have said, doesn't sound so much sad, more mysterious.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Chevy
Granular Poster
Chevy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I think if you want to achieve a dark atmosphere, it's really hard to get with this type of beat. All your sounds are able to transport such an atmosphere, but they are just not corresponding with the beat, if your goal is to put the listener into a dark mood.
Having said that i really like the track and even the beat, but it does not sound dark or sad to me.

Um, no, don't spam your own music in someone else's thread, at least not so shamelessly.

Last edited by deadmau7; 04-05-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Chevy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458

It's not really sad, I'd say it's dark and moody. Beautiful chords and transitions, wish I could make something similar. Really dig drums, reminds me of VSnares' earlier stuff, only softer.
You did a nice work
And welcome from Russia, btw!

Advertisements

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote