Why does most IDM suck?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 24-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
danknugz
Granular Poster
danknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1096
Why does most IDM suck?

everytime i hear what is supposedly IDM all i can think of is that it sounds like a shallow aphex twin.

Advertisements

danknugz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Fox
Fox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MC
Brussels
MC Status: 24820658
Re: Why does most IDM suck?

because most of the time I think people forget that it first has to be musical and not just a technological contest for the most intricate FX or glitch in the universe.

------------------
Fox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
coax
Image Oriented
coax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MC
Asker
MC Status: 147201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
because most of the time I think people forget that it first has to be musical and not just a technological contest for the most intricate FX or glitch in the universe.
Who says glitch or fx isn't musical?
If you ask me, most idm fails because of poor melodic content, not mad glitch.
The melodies that are there aren't engaging, so why put them there at all?

'fx and glitch' is a whole musical world in itself, and shouldn't be disregarded so easily..
coax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Fox
Fox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MC
Brussels
MC Status: 24820658

but it's also what I'm saying. Probably I wasn't clear, sorry.
I don't mean glitch&fx are not musical at all, but lots of producer focus mainly on that and that's why the track suck in the end. So, i'm with you as well on this, I think what matters is a proper balance between all elements in a track, not just a shit melody but awesome fx'es or the other way around.
I said 'musical', means melodies usually, no?

------------------
Fox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
FrozenFire
FrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MCFrozenFire is a savage MC
C:\
MC Status: 203012665

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknugz View Post
everytime i hear what is supposedly IDM all i can think of is that it sounds like a shallow aphex twin.
What kinda stuff you talking about, got any examples?

------------------
dir /x
<DIR> YOUTUB~1 Youtube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
Bad day. Not thinking. can't brain.
FrozenFire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Statikz
Digital Surfer
Statikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MCStatikz is a savage MC
UK
MC Status: 35993

IDM doesn't suck

you suck

check the IDM label albums then come back and tell us IDM sucks.

------------------
Statikz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Plau
Minor Glitch
Plau has a spectacular aura aboutPlau has a spectacular aura aboutPlau has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 243

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you saying aphex twin is IDM or that any IDM isn't as good as Aphex Twin? Either way; fail.
Plau is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Daed
Savage Mad Cunt
Daed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MCDaed is a savage MC
Katy TX
MC Status: 390144

Meh. Troll.

*walks off*

------------------
LISTEN TO THIS, YOU CUNT
---------------- New album on MOZYK Soundcloud ---------------
Daed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
P.E.R.
Regular Freak
P.E.R. will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 71

It's not just most IDM, it's most music in general.
And it's not even just most music, it's most things in general.

If it wasn't for all that dull and mediocre crap in the world we wouldn't be able to see the great things for what they were - as there wouldn't be anything to compare them to.

So try to appreciate the shit for what it is, a reminder of the fact that there are still things out there that are awesome, or as The Books put it "enjoy your worries, you might never have them again".

P.E.R. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
mr2kewl
Analog Lurker
mr2kewl is currently spamming hard
Chicagoland
MC Status: 10

i'm new to this whole genre

IMO, no matter what the music genre is....

be it Jazz - Pop - C&W or IDM

there will always be innovators

and

there will always be imitators

Last edited by mr2kewl; 25-02-2010 at 03:14 PM..

------------------
mr2kewl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Louderest
Louderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond reputeLouderest has a reputation beyond repute
Canberra
MC Status: 9380

What Fox said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I think you would find that a higher proportion of people who listen to IDM also make electronic music, compared with most other music genres. So while a lot of IDM might make other producers thing 'wow, I wonder how they made those micro edits so intricate', it might not mean much to people who don't see the beauty in what might sound to them to be frenetic meaningless noise.

On the other hand, if you do know a fair bit about producing, a fair bit of IDM may seem dull because you can tell how it's made and this desensitizes you to it.

The irony is though that there is still so much more amazing music to be made with just an 808 and a 303, or just an acoustic piano...

------------------
Louderest is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
danknugz
Granular Poster
danknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud ofdanknugz has much to be proud of

I didn't say all IDM I said most, I simply meant what I said and that is that the first thing that comes to mind when I hear most IDM is that is sounds like shallow aphex, I guess if you want to interpret that differently it's up to you but I wasn't comparing IDM to aphex I just simply was stating the first thing that comes to mind when I hear it.

Also I disagree with the statement that without lower quality music we would be unable to appreciate the better qualtiy, because I got into electronic music mainly through aphex twin and only found myself to be consistently disappointed when attempting to find other stuff that was just as good.
Old 25-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
CCtrl
CCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MC
MC Status: 5154519

Quote:
I didn't say all IDM I said most, I simply meant what I said and that is that the first thing that comes to mind when I hear most IDM is that is sounds like shallow aphex, I guess if you want to interpret that differently it's up to you but I wasn't comparing IDM to aphex I just simply was stating the first thing that comes to mind when I hear it.
That really sucks. I feel bad for you because there is a wide variey of IDM's out there.
CCtrl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
danknugz
Granular Poster

no i really do try and find better music and sometimes I do thats why I said "most IDM" not "all". I am aware that there is a wide variety and I've listened to most of the IDMf albums in hope of finding some good tunes. Theres a few peppered here and there that are pretty decent.
Old 25-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
coax
Image Oriented
coax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MCcoax is a savage MC
Asker
MC Status: 147201

Check out all the famous IDM producers first.
THose being the warp people, skam..

Bola, Otto Von Schirach, Richard Devine, Shapeshifter, Proswell, Proem, While, Phonem, Jega, Clark, Venetian Snares, Funckarma, Secede, Telefon Tel Aviv.. Etc..

Those are some good artists to begin with.
And though they might all have been associated with the IDM style, they are imo just 'electronic listening music'..
coax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #16
kryptolith
Barely Legal
kryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MC
Winnipeg
MC Status: 20506287

I hate Aphex Twin.
kryptolith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #17
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
FL
MC Status: 91357273

fast beat the feet
fast fall the hands
fast beat the feet
fast fall the hands

meld in the music
the music of drums
meld in the music
the music of drums

choose the fast beat
choose the hard line
choose the fast beat
choose the hard line

try to show us one better
not sick to the heart
not calling with flesh

suffer little children
suffer little children
suffer little children
written in pain

boys at one
girls at peace
boys at one
girls at peace
boys at one
girls at peace
boys at one
girls at peace

fast beat the feet
fast fall the hands
fast beat the feet
fast fall the hands

hold onto rhythm
the music of drums
hold onto rhythm
the music of drums

the pulse is alive
making me sane

let your body learn
let your body build
let your body learn
let your body build

suffer little children
suffer little children
suffer little children
the pulse is alive

fast beat the feet
fast fall the hands

boys at one
girls at peace
boys at one
girls at peace
boys at one
girls at peace
boys at one
girls at peace

freedom from fear
giving release
freedom from fear
giving release
giving release
giving your heart

fast beating feet
fast falling hands
fast beating feet
fast falling hands

fast beat the feet
fast fall the hands
choose
fast beat the feet (learn)
choose
fast beat the feet (learn)
feel
choose

let your body learn
let your body build
let your body learn
let your body build

choose
learn
build
choose
learn
build
choose
learn
build
choose

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
IF?
Minor Glitch
IF? is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Check out all the famous IDM producers first.
THose being the warp people, skam..

Bola, Otto Von Schirach, Richard Devine, Shapeshifter, Proswell, Proem, While, Phonem, Jega, Clark, Venetian Snares, Funckarma, Secede, Telefon Tel Aviv.. Etc..

Those are some good artists to begin with.
And though they might all have been associated with the IDM style, they are imo just 'electronic listening music'..
Well said. Add Autechre the end thread.

------------------
www.myspace.com/imaginaryforces

www.virb.com/imaginaryforcesuk

Ohm Resistance/Surround Sound Recordings/Oeuvre
IF? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
kryptolith
Barely Legal
kryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MC
Winnipeg
MC Status: 20506287

http://label.idmforums.com
kryptolith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #20
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490104
Thanked 1,053 Times in 771 Posts

You suck!

Advertisements

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote