The actively making music and being excited about it thread - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #21
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65210
Thanked 1,304 Times in 960 Posts
Re: The actively making music and being excited about it thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
You stuff sucks ass big time..that was me and my mates who sent you those emails and things. Man, we knew you'd fall for it!

(Now he's thinking to himself, "Shit, was it really A.M?" )
Man, that's messed up. But it sure is funny. You guys are cruel...

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (04-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203860
Thanked 4,077 Times in 3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Man, that's messed up. But it sure is funny. You guys are cruel...
Just joking..don't worry, he knows it, too.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 AM   #23
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318489
Thanked 1,007 Times in 794 Posts

This is the fuck yeah! thread. This year has brought us a lot of new, progressive music and opportunity for every one of us in some form or another. It's been a year of change and adaptation, To bury the ghosts that haunt us so that we may blast fury from our speakers and brap the soundtracks of our lives.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #24
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29360

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Suddenly it is as though the black and white movies you loved for so long are now showing in full Technicolor .
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about what making music did for me listening to music. I've dropped about two grand on hi-fi audiofool approved stereo stuff, and it taught me a little about listening to music. But making my own music did for my listening ability what would probably take tens of thousands of dollars in stereo hardware, if it's even possible to get to appreciate music in the same way as a passive listener as it is for a producer/musician.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #25
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I write music by how I feel.

I go up and down and all around with my emotions and I have very little control over them. There is probably a disorder in there somewhere or I'm just highly sensitive.

Sometimes you feel awesome and other times like shit for many reasons. Even if I planned a record with 5 songs that should be like "that" it is impossible to finish if my mode changes before the EP is complete. And I can change mode during one day. So yeah I do not plan stuff like that anymore. That reggae EP will be complete someday, no reason stressin' about it. If that means I make 100 other songs finished first does not bother me one bit.

People tell you your whole life: you should this or that. Well its my hat and my hair and I do what i want with it. If pressured to hard that is when I get irritated to be put in a box, fuck it all, put make up on and shatter their expectations more then they could ever have imagined. Some days the soundtrack playing in my head is dark furious hiphop that brings up everything that is wrong with the world without giving any solution or comfort, on another day it is the soundtrack of a happy barbie girl that just wanna dance and have fun.

One of the best songs I have made was when my mother just fell together over like 1 month and died in cancer. I was with her during her last nights and after one of them coming home from the hospital in like 4-5AM in the morning I wrote the main parts of that song. I can never make something like that again without experiencing loss on the same level, so I really hope I do not. I prefer living in happy land with reggae music as the backing soundtrack. Staying in a certain mood isn't always your own choice though and you gotta just cope with what life throws at you.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 04-11-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #26
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283284
Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
I write music by how I feel.

I go up and down and all around with my emotions and I have very little control over them. There is probably a disorder in there somewhere or I'm just highly sensitive.

Sometimes you feel awesome and other times like shit for many reasons. Even if I planned a record with 5 songs that should be like "that" it is impossible to finish if my mode changes before the EP is complete. And I can change mode during one day. So yeah I do not plan stuff like that anymore. That reggae EP will be complete someday, no reason stressin' about it. If that means I make 100 other songs finished first does not bother me one bit.

People tell you your whole life: you should this or that. Well its my hat and my hair and I do what i want with it. If pressured to hard that is when I get irritated to be put in a box, fuck it all, put make up on and shatter their expectations more then they could ever have imagined. Some days the soundtrack playing in my head is dark furious hiphop that brings up everything that is wrong with the world without giving any solution or comfort, on another day it is the soundtrack of a happy barbie girl that just wanna dance and have fun.

One of the best songs I have made was when my mother just fell together over like 1 month and died in cancer. I was with her during her last nights and after one of them coming home from the hospital in like 4-5AM in the morning I wrote the main parts of that song. I can never make something like that again without experiencing loss on the same level, so I really hope I do not. I prefer living in happy land with reggae music as the backing soundtrack. Staying in a certain mood isn't always your own choice though and you gotta just cope with what life throws at you.
this is all very good, but youve answered the questions 'how do you go about making music' and what is your life philosophy'... both of which i definitely didnt ask

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #27
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
i need to de muddle it for myself first to even work out where im at on the journey of not knowing where im at
im no longer muddled and im re-enthused and excited for choons!
there were numerous directions pulling at me before - different projects to embark on with differing styles and methodologies/parameters behind making them. i didnt know what to do.

im now at a point where im happily pushing forward with an 'off grid' jazzy dance project which is informing its own direction with each track. ive never experienced anything like it - as each new track is made the centre line/core idea of what the project sounds like and what it is about changes.

i also have about 11 tracks done previously which is either gonna be 2 EPs or a mashed together bigger release that will come out on a label im really happy with to kickstart this new alias. (this was only just confirmed yesterday). so i have a comprehensive body of work done and im presently trying to carve out a second one. im especially excited because i didnt know where i was gonna go after i finished the first thing and through all the muddlement and worry a clear path has been found and its pleasantly different.

my computer is on its last legs and i should have a roland sp555 on the way so the plan now is to charge through this jazzy dance stuff so that i can have a breather and make an all hardware EP afterwards.

i cant tell you how refreshing it is to have A) such a drive to make music again B) not feel constrained by the music im makin (genre, style etc) and C) to have projects lined up after each other for once rather than a desire to do them all at once and ultimately only being able to do one.

this is what happens when the rest of your life is all over the shop. when im happy i dont make music because im too busy

------------------
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
relic (24-11-2015)
Old 24-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #28
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Cheers man, been loving the new Patient Swim stuff : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (24-11-2015)
Old 24-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #29
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
this is all very good, but youve answered the questions 'how do you go about making music' and what is your life philosophy'... both of which i definitely didnt ask
wtf did you ask then?

longest question I read in a while
Old 24-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #30
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

if you cba to read it why would I rewrite it, sat here on my phone? I realise I was a bit drunk but still...

------------------
Old 24-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #31
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 203860
Thanked 4,077 Times in 3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
..longest question I read in a while
Nearly as long as the post you made before it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #32
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Nearly as long as the post you made before it.
I'm very bad at keeping it short

Quote:
if you cba to read it why would I rewrite it, sat here on my phone? I realise I was a bit drunk but still...
I read it, I just seem to not understand it.

Anyway.

I'm just bored at work to often these days. It is nice for a change though to have lot of time over to surf net and ponder about life even when preparing my courses and giving students extensive feedback on their work. idmf is the best place I know for my internet entertainment at this time
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #33
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310

Proud to be a part of this number! lol -Jim Morrison

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #34
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

Lately I've been getting ideas for melodic rhythms where the 4/4 and 6/8 meters are going back and forth and sometimes mixed together. It's kind of tense because I'm not always that good at quantizing and I can't really play on beat that well on my 25-key MIDI controller.

But I'm happy because at least some ideas are coming at all. It's taken a long time, but I'm finally getting some momentum with my tunemaking. But it's a challenge because I have a phase on almost every tune where I think it's crap and almost want to delete it all. And then even after it gets good, I usually run out of working practical ideas. Usually the mix is too dense to add anything else. Or it's sparse and I like it better that way.

Anyways, that's what's on my mind.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
FunkMasterBrown (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #35
Yikole
Minor Glitch
Yikole has a spectacular aura aboutYikole has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I'm relatively new in the scene and it isn't stopping me from experimenting and trying to develop my own style.

It's pretty apparent in the fact that I've been setting aside at least an hour a day for the past three or so months for music, despite my insanely busy schedule.

I'm actively making music every day, and while it's not the best or most polished or appreciated, it's fun to work on and catchy to at least myself. Constant improvement is a pretty great motivator.
Yikole is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 02:34 AM   #36
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

I hope to create the music I'm worried is becoming more and more obscure, and harder for me to find.

Electronic music that isn't just technically decent (and consequentially usually boring), but emotionally provocative to the point that it sort of makes me want to cry myself to sleep but admire it's beauty in yelps of joy at the same time.

Some weird cross wiring of emotions that truly thoughtful and carefully self indulgent music is so capable of provoking. Crying in your face vibes, in the hope you might be one of the cunts that just fucking gets it without explanation.

Those "AFX - Analord" moments (for me) are consistent sources of potent emotional obscurity. When it becomes difficult to know whether to feel overwhelming sadness or immense joy at musical passages. Arghhh that's what I strive to consistently create in my own music. LET ME BE THE OWN SOURCE OF MY CONFUSION!

I've created a few things that are roughly within the ballpark of creating a strong emotional response in myself. But still no way near on that level of painfully unforgettable, unavoidable, and damn right haughtily intrusive.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #37
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherclerk View Post
I hope to create the music I'm worried is becoming more and more obscure, and harder for me to find.

Electronic music that isn't just technically decent (and consequentially usually boring), but emotionally provocative to the point that it sort of makes me want to cry myself to sleep but admire it's beauty in yelps of joy at the same time.

Some weird cross wiring of emotions that truly thoughtful and carefully self indulgent music is so capable of provoking. Crying in your face vibes, in the hope you might be one of the cunts that just fucking gets it without explanation.

Those "AFX - Analord" moments (for me) are consistent sources of potent emotional obscurity. When it becomes difficult to know whether to feel overwhelming sadness or immense joy at musical passages. Arghhh that's what I strive to consistently create in my own music. LET ME BE THE OWN SOURCE OF MY CONFUSION!

I've created a few things that are roughly within the ballpark of creating a strong emotional response in myself. But still no way near on that level of painfully unforgettable, unavoidable, and damn right haughtily intrusive.
I'm a bit buzzed from happy hour and had a bit of herbal refreshment, but to just riff off of this...I've kind of traded up my passion for writing poetry for making beats/electronic music/whatever synth noise as I felt the medium of poetry wasn't the right medium for what I wanted to get across to my audience.

That being said...lately I've also felt really close to achieving what I've been after in that regard. Its been a long road and the music I'm making is so far from what I imagined it would be when I dropped poetry for beats I don't know what to do with myself because it is actually quite a bit more interesting, if I can toot my own horn, than what I first imagined.

Probably nothing to write home about for anyone else, but by my own personal metric I've been rather pleased with myself lately. I can do better, I wan to do better, I can do better. But I'm OK with patting myself on the back a little bit at this point.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #38
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
T for trouble

I'm getting back into my music finally again. It's what i need to do so i don't become some kind of deep end self-appointed equaliser vigilante of the types i'd rather not be. So far i am successful with taking my system completely offline. As i work on the configuration, i get good ideas about which features i had overlooked in the past. Also, i have a different soundset, which is encouraging.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: 2nd mouse
Old 21-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #39
Drdoctor
Learning The Ropes
Drdoctor has a spectacular aura aboutDrdoctor has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160
Re: T for trouble

I'm super excited to start mixing my new album in Dolby Atmos in the next couple of weeks.
I had been thinking about a number of ways I could get my tracks to stand out and I thought I may as well use the facilities at my work to enhance my artistic output! Will post links to files and such when it is completed
Drdoctor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Max Cooper - Waves
Thanks to Drdoctor
relic (21-03-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 05:46 AM   #40
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

I can't exist in any sort of remotely happy way unless I'm creating. I came to electronic music from being fairly established playing in traditional bands (guitar, drums, bass, keys kinda thing). It has been 10 years since I started plugging away at it and it is completely humbling, inspirational, and amazing. I always want to learn. Always want to grow. Always want to take my music making to another level. I have zero aspirations commercially at this point but I'm trying to finish a record that I could be happy with. There's no feeling that can compare to that of hitting something truly magical. Even if it's for five seconds. When that spot is hit, free from ego and insecurity, it's like conversations with god. What could top that?!

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
iDoG (25-05-2017)