where do I learn better synthesis? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 18-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #21
EggplantPurple
Minor Glitch
EggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to behold
Toronto/Tkaronto
MC Status: 860
Re: where do I learn better synthesis?

Check out Coursera. I took a free course from Berklee College of Music and it taught me a lot of the basics about sound design, how things are working in a synth, etc. I found it very worthwhile.

Advertisements

EggplantPurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

I definitely recommend this guy called seamlessR on youtube. He has a real knack for explaining complex sound-design ideas at their most fundamental level. I don't think he uses Operator per se but a lot of his stuff relates to additive and Frequency Modulation synthesis (not to say that operator is only that but the FM and additive aspects of it are what make it worthwhile for me).
Definitely worth checking out.
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #23
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 65060
Thanked 1,301 Times in 959 Posts

I learned synthesis in grad school. Organic synthesis, that is.:badger:

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
-Agu- (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #24
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6210

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I learned synthesis in grad school. Organic synthesis, that is.:badger:
Gonna have a test on cell biology next week. Much love for protein- and chemosynthesis.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #25
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

I def recommend SeamlessR. He doesn't hang around either but gets right to it.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DRR
Guardian (07-07-2017)
Old 14-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #26
Sortilege
IDMf's latest spammer
Sortilege is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If you're into glitch-hop/neuro stuff and don't mind to spend a few $/, Bassgorilla has solid tutorials by guys like Frequent and Skope who very much know what they're doing when it comes to sound design. Unless specified otherwise, most of the producers there use Ableton. Digital Labz also sells masterclasses that will likely help you in your journey.

Like someone suggested, starting with a subtractive synth is probably a good idea. Get a popular one, like Massive, Sylenth1 or Serum, they are popular for a reason and you'll more easily find tutorials and presets online to help you understand how things are done. Really get to know the different sections of a subtractive synth : oscs, modulators (enveloppes and lfos mainly), filters and FXs. Get some presets you like, turn things on & off to find out how each module contributes to the final sound. Make deductions, take notes and practice. Always make sure you spend more time practicing than searching the interwebz.

Advertisements

Sortilege is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote