Opinions on the Roland VT-3 Voice Transformer?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810
Opinions on the Roland VT-3 Voice Transformer?

Anyone here use the VT-3? I've been looking into voice transformers and this one seems kinda cool. The features look limited but to spice up vocals for noise-ier tracks and as a general fx box it looks like it could have some potential...add some character to blander sounds or vocal takes.

Any opinons? Thanks.

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
padbury
IDMf's latest spammer
padbury will become famous soon enough
Perth
MC Status: 60
Re: Opinions on the Roland VT-3 Voice Transformer?

Yep i have one. It's a weird machine. Thinking of selling it.

The single biggest thing I would say you would need to have to use this VT3 in a big way is the ability to hold a steady, in tune note with your voice. And also be a bit of a vocal talent generally.

the reasons for this are many, including:
The 2 autotune functions seem to be a quite fussy about the quality of the vocal input to then output anything useful. The autotune function operates on a very narrow band, meaning you have to practically do the voice tuning yourself with quite a tight sonic control on the way into the VT3.
The 3 synth outputs are also fussy, for example play a note on a piano via the mic and the synth will mimic the exact pitch maybe 50% of the time. Depending on how hard or soft you play that one piano key, the synth will detect a false pitch change in the note and change key, which is frustrating, and shows that if it was a voice making the input, the synth would be all over the place pitch wise as a voice is way more variable than a single piano key.
The scatter effect works on the basis of you needing to input multiple events into the microphone so it detects a number of peaks in the audio input and can measure the distance between them as a starting point to the scatter effect. I find it quite difficult to initiate the scatter effect with my voice, can't seem to get the timing and volumes right.
The VT3 is also not set up to receive audio inputs other than mic. I've read of others inputting audio from instruments, but have not risked damaging the circuits trying.

The vocoder setting is a false effect, there is no twin signal path like a real vocoder.

On the plus side, the twin analog to digital connectivity into your DAW is great (wet / dry on separate channels)
the reverb is top notch and if nothing else the VT3 outputting a dry signal with this reverb applied is a very nice sound.

The female to male slider and the change pitch sliders, for me they do what they are supposed to do but the overall effect is underwhelming.

I've had some fun leaving the mic open near my studio monitors on the synth setting where the VT3 has produced this variable drone in reaction to anything sounding in the room or via the speakers. the recordings of this crazy warble have produced some interesting chopped loops, but that in itself is not a reason to get a VT3.

Advertisements

padbury is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to padbury
oDDgOD (10-05-2018)