What makes good songs sound so good compared to the ones that don't sound too good
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA
MC Status: 21834366
What makes good songs sound so good compared to the ones that don't sound too good

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotek View Post
Again, totally agree. By pure definition, a professional musician compared to an amateur musician is that the professional is making a full time living and the amateur is just doing it for "fun". It has nothing to do with how good the musicians are or how well their stuff sounds or any of that. Geez people, just look up the definition of a professional. I can't believe some people still misunderstand the meaning of professional...

You may want to rephrase your original question and ask "what makes good songs sound so good compared to the ones that don't sound too good" lol
What makes this sound so good
Damn those FL Studio hits are snappin

And what makes this sound so bad and lackluster

Advertisements

rewriter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18707383
Re: What makes good songs sound so good compared to the ones that don't sound too goo

DAAAAAAAAAAAAYUUUUUUUMMMMMMM SOLJA BOY IS DOOOPE!

Fuck APC, they suck. Fuck josh freese, awful drummer.

------------------
FatPucker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
1nfinitezer0
Knob Twiddler
1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC1nfinitezer0 is a savage MC
montreal
MC Status: 1597449
Re: What makes good songs sound so good compared to the ones that don't sound too goo

good songs sound so good compared to those that don't for too many factors to name, but in general it's how much an individual can relate to the tune:
-culturally - what have you been exposed with and build positive memories with
-sonically - harmonics, orchestration, sound quality
-lyrically - language, culture, inspiration
-arrangement - movement, juxtaposition, contrast
-biologically - rhythms that correspond to body states
...ad infinitum

ergo:
good music good
suck music suck
QED

------------------
1nfinitezer0 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPucker View Post
Fuck josh freese, awful drummer.
IKNORITE!?

Freese just sounds like a bunch of default FL Studio drum hits
Old 20-09-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
exotek
Analog Lurker
exotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 2844726

Both sound terrible to me...

------------------
"Its a good day.. any time you are having fun with music is a good day"

- Ronald Jenkees
exotek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Pops
Soundwave Mangler
Pops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MC
Miami
MC Status: 117578

One is made to be a ringtone, the other just sucks. Thats the secret. Soulja boi's patented technique: Visualize someone's phone vibrating in their pocket, they reach down and grab it. Slowly they open it as your luscious sounds spread through the air. The excitement climaxes as one last "Yooooooo" pleasures their eardrums and those around them, and then, satisfied, they begin their conversation.

This process of artistic visualization is what i think separates Souljar boy from the rest of the herd.

------------------
Quote:
Fresh mushrooms also contain vitamin b12, so you can live without meat - in theory.
Pops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021076

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotek View Post
both sound terrible to me...
+9000
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128526

one is pretending to be dumber than it actually is, whereas the other is convinced it's much more clever than it actually is?
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Sebastian.S
Microknight
Sebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MCSebastian.S is a savage MC
Houston, Texas/South Bend, Indiana
MC Status: 51433

Its easy to be biased because the first video is just better than the second. Without the video, I like the Soulja Boy song because it shows how minimalistic a song can be and still succeed at being good. I think the big factors are

1: The rhythm in the song from the lead (I cant think of the name. It sounds tropical), to the hats, to the vocals. Although I have no connection to the culture, I find myself bobbing my head because everything seems to go together. e.g. The "yooooo" provides a cool kind of slow rhythm while the vocals and hats carry on the beat.

2: There is a lot of variation in the vocals. Although you can always tell it is the same person rapping, he keeps the listener intrigued by "switching it up" by lowering/raising the pitch/timbre of his voice, and creating tension right before the chorus, the next phrase, and even the next bar.

So basically, each part of the song leads to the next in a nice fashion. The mix is very clean, and the listener is entertained by the fact that they don't know what is coming next while still recognizing the key signatures of the song. Where the signatures here are soulja boy, the background lead, and the general feel of the song.

As far as the other song, I cant say the same, but the first thing I notice is that something went terribly wrong with the mixing. Is it just a lower bitrate??

I mean, the song sounds good, but its just muffled by the quality of the upload I think. Not to mention, it is a little annoying that random vocal samples occur through the whole song.

just my two cents.

------------------
Sebastian.S is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
chemicalfire
Radial Developer
chemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MCchemicalfire is a savage MC
Cincinnati
MC Status: 51608

It's has much better quality than the video version, which obviously focused more on the video rather than the actual song. The production really isn't that bad at all. You people actually thought that the sound clips in the music video were really part of the original song? Hoooboy.

Also, Soulja Boy is repetitive, mind-numbing garbage.

------------------
chemicalfire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California

I was being sarcastic as I thought the OP was aswell.

Solja boy or whatever the fuck that bullshit is, is unimaginative crap.

A Percent Circle on the other hand, awesome. Seen them many times live and love their music (Although Mer de noms was a much better album than 13th step. btw, Josh Freese is a bad ass.

------------------
Old 21-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
Sacramento, CA

I think Thirteenth Step had a much more developed sound, but Mer de Noms had a very nice atmospheric quality to it

I'm envious that you've seen them live, I missed out on the last tour

Freese is quite a good drummer, saw him live with another band
Old 21-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
StateOfFlux
Eternal Echoer
StateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MCStateOfFlux is a savage MC
Not australia
MC Status: 12022010

EQ. Compression.

------------------
StateOfFlux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

My god. I didn't get the sarcasm in this thread and was wondering who all you people really were and what you'd done with the real members.

I was literally shocked.
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
California

Lmao... My first attempt to be sarcastic after 500 some posts and it gets over looked.

No offense, but I think its funny that some of you guys actually started to analyze the qualities between the two samples. The two couldn't be further apart and comparing them is trivial.

------------------
Old 21-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
Sacramento, CA

Right over all their heads
They thought we were the 'fake' members
Old 21-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
California

Rewriter was trying to make a point brought up in another thread. That point being that just because some one is a professional, meaning they make money selling their work, doesn't actually mean they are talented or great at what they do.

------------------
Old 21-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #18
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPucker View Post
Rewriter was trying to make a point brought up in another thread. That point being that just because some one is a professional, meaning they make money selling their work, doesn't actually mean they are talented or great at what they do.
Refer to quote on the first post in this thread if you still don't get what this thread is about
Old 21-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Triton64
IDMf Artist
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350414
Thanked 1,173 Times in 675 Posts

Its all about bigotry, studio gangstas and 808s

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewriter View Post
Damn those FL Studio hits are snappin
That's actually a heavy compressed ass clap from some big booty hoe in Solja Boy's studio. He's got them on hand for such things.

Advertisements

------------------