Quick question for NI battery users
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 29-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455
Quick question for NI battery users

Just something simple but hard to google due to the word 'battery'. I have an LPD8 hooked up to ableton and I'm running Battery as an external instrument in a drum rack. I want to tap my beats in on the LPD8, but I find the velocity to volume sensitivity way too high. I have to pound the pads too hard. I have looked all over battery's interface and elsewhere. How do I lower the sensitivity?

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
kryptolith
Barely Legal
kryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MC
Winnipeg
MC Status: 20506287
Re: Quick question for NI battery users

use a velocity device?
kryptolith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to kryptolith
Deep Dose (29-06-2012)
Old 29-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptolith View Post
use a velocity device?
Wow, I feel a bit dumb haha. thanks!

Mod's can delete this if they like. Pretty pointless
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Still learning how to use it. Can definitely get some tight sounding drum tracks out of it, but the routing and everything else is a bit of a pain. Lot of tedious stuff to do before you can actually start programming the percussion but, it does sound great. meh.....
Old 16-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
ethertrogg
Analog Lurker
ethertrogg has a spectacular aura aboutethertrogg has a spectacular aura aboutethertrogg has a spectacular aura about
Iowa
MC Status: 210

I'm not very familiar with that specific controller however most have some type of software preferences you can choose on your computer, I use maschine, but the process should be similar. look for an option entitled velocities sensitivity orb plane sensitivity. that way you are fixing it at the saurus rather than having to patch the problem with a velocity modifier.
ethertrogg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
RoloMcFlurry
Regular Freak
RoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura about
New York

click on the modulation tab in battery, to the right in the modulation router the first parameter should be automatically set to Velocity/Vol and it will be at 100. move that closer to the middle (0)

i've found this is the easiest way to control velocity if you want to go cell by cell.
RoloMcFlurry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RoloMcFlurry
Deep Dose (17-07-2012)
Old 16-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Mess with the "Min" amount.
127 = no dynamic range.
1 = full dynamic range.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to YoMyEX
Deep Dose (17-07-2012)
Old 17-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Much appreciated guys, that works like a charm. Just curious, do you guys have any other workflow tips or anything regarding battery? Is there a way to use this in combination with another drum sequencing vst? I have also been looking for something like that. I use the G-Stomper on my phone and quite like that old fashioned method of sequencing, from the hardware sequencers. Would love to find a good VST for Live.
Old 17-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
RoloMcFlurry
Regular Freak
RoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura aboutRoloMcFlurry has a spectacular aura about
New York

2 things come to mind that make me more comfortable working in battery-

first, when i am stacking diff. samples on top of each other to layer into one sound i like to keep them in the same column and color code them, so for example, in the screen shot below, all of the blue cells are my kick, which are both mapped to the same pad on my controller, and all of the pinkish cells are my snare-

i.imgur.com/MUSHA.png (sorry, can't post links yet.)

second- this one is kind of a resource/voice hog and i feel like somebody is going to make fun of me for doing things this way, but here goes-

Once I have sounds layered the way I like them I send them out to their own aux send and then do some eq'ing and comp'ing to the sound as a whole. this way i can also send the sounds to my verb send w/in the session and use other effects plug that i like better than the effects w/in battery. I also prefer just mixing levels b/w samples this way too. here's a screenshot of my instrument track w/ battery on it and the individual stems-

i.imgur.com/4xExJ.png
RoloMcFlurry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoloMcFlurry View Post
second- this one is kind of a resource/voice hog and i feel like somebody is going to make fun of me for doing things this way, but here goes-

Once I have sounds layered the way I like them I send them out to their own aux send and then do some eq'ing and comp'ing to the sound as a whole. this way i can also send the sounds to my verb send w/in the session and use other effects plug that i like better than the effects w/in battery. I also prefer just mixing levels b/w samples this way too. here's a screenshot of my instrument track w/ battery on it and the individual stems-
This is great, actually, and is pretty standard when it comes to drum software plugins like Battery, Superior Drummer, or BFD. Many a time you would actually like to use other effects besides the ones you get in the software, like you said. Care to explain how you would do this in Battery? I am sure many users would like to know

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMyEX View Post
This is great, actually, and is pretty standard when it comes to drum software plugins like Battery, Superior Drummer, or BFD. Many a time you would actually like to use other effects besides the ones you get in the software, like you said. Care to explain how you would do this in Battery? I am sure many users would like to know
this is what I have done, that allows you to use all the same routing and effects as a drum rack.

Advertisements