What VST's are an absolute must? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Closed Thread
Old 26-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #41
alex95
Knob Twiddler
alex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MCalex95 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1599523
Re: What VST's are an absolute must?

Gonna go for a wildcard here. Some people hate it but I honestly freaking love the thing:

WASP from Imageline - I believe it's quite cheap too and can build some nice analogue sounding patches.

Last edited by alex95; 26-04-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Advertisements

alex95 is offline   Thanks
Old 29-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #42
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I'm just looking for the VST's that members find to be very helpful/crucial in the development of a track.

Synthesizers or anything else really, thanks!
one would assume that since you are using Live, FL Studio AND logic, you would have more than enough to be able to produce something worthwhile, without even touching a thirdparty external.

even considered to simply learn the tools that you have?

if you go into a workshop to have your car fixed and the repair peep can't fix it, do you think he's going to buy a special screwdriver that works just like a screwdriver?

i doubt it. he practices and in the end makes perfect.

for me, using Live (and on occasion, dabbling with maxmsp) the only thing i miss is a convolution reverb, but it's not crucial at all.
do i need more instruments?

certainly not.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #43
Convergence
Soundscaper
Convergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MCConvergence is a savage MC
MC Status: 1860836

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
yeah, and you seem to be an asshole, by coming in a thread and deciding to take the time to post a reply, saying that you won't post a reply, while insulting the op, judging him/her by his/her's age.

you tell me, who's the idiot, really?
what did you do when you first joined here?
better damn not have asked any questions, because that means that you are not worthy.
right?

elitistic fucking asswipe. everybody was a beginner at one time, no matter what age they are at.
think before you post next time, you retard.
this has nothing to do with my anger (which i don't have alot of, mind you), this is about you being a jerk for no other reason that the fact that you seem that you are better than the op, presumably because of the age difference. but hey, if you want to "my anger" as an argument, here's a counter-argument for you:

you seem to have low self-esteem.

now do the forum a favor and get the fuck out, or think twice before opening your mouth the next time.
Gotta admit, nothings more entertaining than watching GBSR unleash the fury, its been a couple of months since the last public spanking.

EDIT -

And on topic -

Agree with most here about learning the tools you got etc, except one thing... Unless you are particularly talented and have the time and skills to achieve certain 'vintage' sounds, then perhaps hardware emulation VSTs become a must if you need that sound. For example, the character compression that can be attained with 1176, SSL, API, FATSO, LA2A/CL1B compressors/limiting amplifiers can sound rather good, and I couldn't emulate those sounds myself with standard saturation + compression plugs with my current skill level.

(although Klanghelm DC18 looks to be able to achieve a few of em and is cheap as anything)

Also character EQs such as Manley Massive Passive, Abbey Road TG1242, Pultec, Trident, etc.... These can all put a certain sheen/sound to the source that would be difficult to recreate with the standard plugs unless you perhaps know what you are doing.

Last edited by Convergence; 01-05-2012 at 04:37 AM..
Convergence is offline   Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #44
Decades
Granular Poster
Decades will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Short answer: It doesn't matter what you use.
Long answer: If it did matter, the people who know would do their best to bury it under misinformation.

Either way, you've got to go on instinct and trust your own ears.
Decades is offline   Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #45
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
This is exactly what I´d write if I had a small brain...

...and a small penis.

......, aaaand good bye. have fun. :bye:

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Thanks to gbsr
A.M (21-07-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18707383

Finally...

I thought the ban hammer would have come down weeks ago.

------------------
FatPucker is offline   Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #47
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649318
Thanked 5,001 Times in 3,213 Posts

Yeah no shit me too.

What was the hold up there gbsr?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Yeah no shit me too.

What was the hold up there gbsr?
hah. didn't notice it until now.
he was an ass anyways, so good riddance.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #49
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18707383

Yeah, I think he was pretty much asking to be banned cause I haven't seen many posts from him lately.

------------------
FatPucker is offline   Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #50
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPucker View Post
Yeah, I think he was pretty much asking to be banned cause I haven't seen many posts from him lately.
well.

happy to oblige, then.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Thanks to gbsr
FatPucker (02-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #51
Johnny A. Syd
Learning The Ropes
Johnny A. Syd is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I almost always use three plugins to add some texture:

arc dev dubb box - there's no sync option, but if set right it gives wonderful feedback and harmonics, and it's great for a subtle spring-reverb kind of effect. Plus, it's free!
wow'n'flutter - does flanger effects and can make nice pitch fluctuations to add a BoC kind of chorus. Free, as well. It's also great for beats to add some punch and character.
psp vintage warmer - not really free, but Bonobo uses it. I am not going to argue with Bonobo. I use it wherever I can.
Johnny A. Syd is offline   Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #52
JonOfDaShred
Minor Glitch
JonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MCJonOfDaShred is a savage MC
MC Status: 15736

SQ8L - This one is great for vintage tones. Got the old school horror movies vibe.
Swamp
Superwave P8 - Has some great retro recreations (Final Countdown brass, X-Files whistle, Van Halen "Jump" tone) and I also really dig the ASDR Sync on this. Great with some distortion
Shred Suite - Guitar amp simulator
TyrellN6V2 - This is a VST I only downloaded recently, has great tone.
Rocket Punch - 8 Bit and video game sounds. Great synth
JonOfDaShred is offline   Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #53
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

rocket punch eh. if anything that name alone should bring attention to it.
c'mon. a plugin named rocket punch? that MUST be good hehe.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #54
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080314
Thanked 1,233 Times in 833 Posts

this thread is resourceful.

my vst (all free) -

SYNTH1. absolutely fantastic software, small, fast, amazingly flexible and since i dont want to waste too much time in the process i dig its ease of use. also, very low on cpu, so theres no problem at all to put 20 of them on tracks in ableton.

crystal vsti - to be honest, i mostly use its really flexible randomizer function as an inspiration and work my way up from there. i love it

drumatic vsti - extremely simple drum synth. i just love its sounds, amazing.

i have a shitton of freeware vsti effects too but i hardly use them, because the native plugs usually do a better job.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #55
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theempire View Post
dude, don't you think you are kind of abusing your powers?

Is it prohibited to say "small penis" in this forum?

If you ban me for daring saying this, you're abusing your powers again, and I'm super ok with being banned, my account is extra-new anyway and I wouldn't feel I'm missing anything.

I don't think the guy did enough to be banned, I think you like thinking you have power over others, which you don't and if you do, you shouldn't, therefore you don't anyway.

***YOU DON'T HAVE POWER OVER ANYONE, full stop***

fuck new generations. All douchebag assholes.
not at all. but if i tell you stop harassing new members and you keep doing it you can be damned sure that i would place a banhammer on your ass as well.
otherwise: carry on.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #56
Benwaa

anyway - i would agree with gbsr here on the learn to use what you have,in an ideal world - however having been an ableton live user for a few years i have to be honest and say i very rarely use any of the native stuff that it has. that's not because it's shit - far from it. i just don't like the feel of it compared to the few go-to vsti's i have.

3 i find myself mainly using for my own productions:
sylenth
Kontakt
Ace

when working with martin as theMaLm things tend to be different, the three mostly used
then would probably be:
miroslav philharmonik
Absynth 5
and recently U-he Diva - but that last one as awesome as it is is far too CPU hungry for it's own good :/

for themalm live set-up its different ish again:
1xDiva
1xAce
1xAbsynth
1xZebra 2
1xFM8

in term of plugins vst's (off topic i know)
3 most used are
presonus eyeQ (although i use the sonnox eq equally as much i seem to favour the presonus)
Stillwell Bombardier
More Frequency Machine (MFM)

Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #57
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

what, why benwaa?
live's native stuff is amazing

oooer, except for the lack of a convolution reverb :/

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #58
Benwaa

i don't say it isn't. i just feel more comfortable with the third party plugs i've chosen i guess
  Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #59
Benwaa

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
  Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #60
gbsr
gothenburg, sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theempire View Post
I'm looking to fill that hole myself, do you have some recommendation? Something that might be comparable to Logic's Space Designer?
well, i don't use impulses that often but when i do this is my goto: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

simply because it has 8 slots per stack and 8 stacks that can be in either serial or parallel.

Advertisements

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread