Ableton Live - Need some help
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 19-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351
Ableton Live - Need some help

Hi all,

I have a synthesizer (microkorg xl) which is set up through my audio interface.. so midi in/out to interface, interface usb to computer as well as 1/4" line in/out from synth to audio interface..

Now if I play on a MIDI track, it only records the midi notes so if I change the sound on the synth, the notes will play the changed sound.

I have tried playing some notes in a midi track in arrangement view, then I triggered the Audio track and recorded what was playing on the Midi track. Now the original sound stays in the Audio track.

2 things:

1- how can I mess around with the audio track? or should I mess around with MIDI track first (such as quantization and so forth) before recording into audio?

2- I read somewhere I can use external instrument... how does that work exactly? I tried recording something using external instrument and when I went to play it back it was all silence...

Please help me out!!

Advertisements

------------------

:holadines:
reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625
Re: Ableton Live - Need some help

The 1st question is entirely up to you. If you arent confident playing it straight in then write it in MIDI, even automate parameters if you like and record the audio it produces from your MIDI track.

2. External instrument is basically Ableton sending MIDI data to the synth. So, select your interface as the MIDI to (in the appropriately titled "MIDI to" dropdown box) and it should work as long as your interface has a MIDI cable running from its OUT, into your Synth's IN. Also make sure you have audio interface's inputs selected in the audio from dropdown. Make sense?
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal

2- makes sense, I have both midi in and out going from synth to audio interface to laptop via USB as well as 1/4" in and outs from synth to interface.

Let me give it a another try and see

thanks!

------------------

Old 20-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
reticent
Knob Twiddler
Montreal

Yeah so I tried with the external instrument and it still doesn't record the audio.. just the midi notes.. whenever I change the sound on my synth the sound in ableton changes and plays the same midi notes..

See SS:

------------------

Old 20-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Not entirely sure exactly what you're asking, but try to picture MIDI as the notes, and the audio as the sound. For using external gear, I'm a big fan of the external instrument device. I program my notes in a clip and play through the external gear and tweak the settings to taste until I am happy. Then, when I've got a good sound, I'll record that to an audio track (relatively easy to do using the routing in Live, simply select the channel with the external instrument as the audio input in a new audio track). It sounds like you've already got that part down. I would aim to at least get the notes and most of the groove and 90% of the sound design done before you go to audio; you can always alter timings for 'groove' purposes once you're in audio.

Now, I've got a MIDI track containing all the notes controlling an external instrument, and a copy of that audio in another track. That frees me up to record another part using the same synth, but I can keep the original pattern of the notes if I want to go back and change the sound. Meanwhile, I have the audio track that I can go ahead and edit, cut up and play with in the sorts of ways you can't do with MIDI.

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
reticent
Knob Twiddler
Montreal

Do you mind screen shotting that so I can see? I'm not very well versed in Ableton

Advertisements

------------------