Good programs to accompany Ableton Live?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
DoctaDrei
Learning The Ropes
DoctaDrei is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Good programs to accompany Ableton Live?

Hey guys,

So I'm just learning the ropes of music production with ableton, and I was wondering if there were any good supplemental programs that you guys have found helpful or programs that work well to achieve certain things that ableton isn't as proficient at.

Thanks

Advertisements

DoctaDrei is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269481008
Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,082 Posts
Re: Good programs to accompany Ableton?

You'll receive plenty of suggestions, for all kinds of softsynths.
My humble opinion is to stick to Live until you know it inside out, it is a great sequencer and can give you all the tools and knowledge that you can later easily transfer to each software.
Take Impulse for example, a simple drum machine, yet it be as deep as you want it to be and once you get it, you'll understand most of the sample based drum machines out there.
You have Analogue, with a clear and easy to understand signal path.
There's Operator, I can't say anything about it as I haven't had time to jump into FM synthesis.
And Sampler and Simpler are just two great samplers.
It's sounds stupid, but read the manual, it's a great teaching tool as well.

Pretty much sure that once you know Live, you won't need anyone to tell you what you need next, your workflow will tell you.

Sorry if I sound too much like a teacher or a Live Evangelist...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
paracetamol
Soundscaper
paracetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MCparacetamol is a savage MC
MC Status: 288402
Re: Good programs to accompany Ableton Live?

... what automageddon said, is perfectly true!!!

other than maybe that 64bit vsts won't work with Live (which is 32bit), unless you install something like jbridge.
paracetamol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1542077
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,326 Posts

i thought ableton was great, then i got into Max 4 Live, now i find Ableton supergreat.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

I agree fully on the thought that you shouldn't bother yourself with 3rd party stuff if you're just starting out. Live as well as other DAWs and music making applications come with most things, if not everything, you need.

You'll eventually learn to work with the programs and plug-ins and what not. It's easier to just start learning with the stuff that's included in Live (or any other program) than trying to find something new and just stacking more stuff that you have to learn to work with and which may actually do pretty much the same thing as the stuff that you already have (which is sometimes the case with plug-ins).

Keep it simple.
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: Good programs to accompany Ableton?

Did the OP specify that they had suite? because at least to me, that would make a big difference in whether to suggest additional plugs or not.

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
mudpeople
Minor Glitch
mudpeople is currently spamming hard
Reno

If you're not familiar with MIDI and its nuances, and its application within Live Id say, learn those first...

BUT, if you are, Ive found some standalone MIDI sequencers that might be useful, at the very least they're interesting;

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

run a seq via command line?! in MY win7?!??! YES PLEASE

just a GM-drumkit-mapped percussion pad, can be used with touchscreens

another from the Quotile guy

just a neat little sequencer (that inspired a couple M4L devices), I guess its timing is off, and Woutter fixed it but the fixed version isn't compiled; if anyone here knows Flash/ActionScript and could compile a standalone (the original was Java, idk if the update is browser-only, or if Im just stupid, or what) I would LOVE YOU. Alternatively telling me to stfu and debasing my intelligence, while not exactly welcome, its certainly expected (prove me wrong by being a professional trollfree forum and Ill give you music, if you like)

Also there's Iannix but thats mainly an OSC sequencer, a whole other animal, Ill let Google get that one.
mudpeople is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Gloom Prophet
Minor Glitch
Gloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MCGloom Prophet is a savage MC
OREGON
MC Status: 66952

absynth
Gloom Prophet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

A "dedicated" wave editor? Audacity?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
i thought ableton was great, then i got into Max 4 Live, now i find Ableton supergreat.
This. You can build anything you want (with some patience and programming) and it works so well inside of Live.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

even if you don't have suite, if you learn and understand how live and it's signal path works you can pretty much build anything (possibly with the addition of some thirdparty stuff to compliment for the lack of say, operator and amp/cab, for example).

racks.
it's all about racks.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
etherealpolygon
Minor Glitch
etherealpolygon is currently spamming hard

btw, is there a "lite" version of Ableton? I've always wanted to try it, but i cant afford a 400$ DAW. Is there like a demo version?
etherealpolygon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherealpolygon View Post
btw, is there a "lite" version of Ableton? I've always wanted to try it, but i cant afford a 400$ DAW. Is there like a demo version?

Good for 30 days.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #14
Dr Insano
Microknight
Dr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to all
London
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Well, the Launchpad edition is since it restricts you to 8 tracks and 12 effects, but you need a launchpad for that, and trust me, you NEED more than 12 effects.
Dr Insano is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Fizzy
Learning The Ropes
Fizzy is currently spamming hard
Middle of Fuckin Nowhere, Texas (yeehaw)

Quote:
i picked up live intro for 70 bucks on amazon, but the restrictions really do get to you sometimes (JUST ONE MORE VST :'( )
Fizzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Insano View Post
Well, the Launchpad edition is since it restricts you to 8 tracks and 12 effects, but you need a launchpad for that, and trust me, you NEED more than 12 effects.
Not if you add efx then bounce the effected track to a new one and delete the old. I am limited to eight (I think) audio efx so I am constantly doing this.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
fourthmanfire
Analog Lurker
fourthmanfire has a spectacular aura aboutfourthmanfire has a spectacular aura aboutfourthmanfire has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Your question asked about things that would supplement the things Abelton "isn't proficient at." As others have said, I think you need to dive into the program first. Only then will you find out things that, in your opinion, Ableton isn't "proficient" at. To try to supplement Ableton at this stage is unnecessary IMO.
fourthmanfire is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
pedlund
Minor Glitch
pedlund is currently spamming hard

I would say sausage fattener by dada life, massive, nexus, sylenth1. that's a good start

Advertisements

pedlund is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote