Cheapest way to loop a sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 28-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Makeshift
Radial Developer
Makeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MC
MC Status: 1536618
Cheapest way to loop a sound

I want to make some audio installations of looped sounds, I was wondering what might be the best way to loop a sound in a gallery setting? So, lets say I have like 5 sounds all about 10 seconds long that I want to be playing at the same time at different locations through out a room. Sound quality isn't too important. Any ideas on how to do this without spending a lot of $$$?

Advertisements

------------------
Makeshift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Cheapest way to loop a sound

A free DAW (Podium Free, Reaper, etc) and a free sampler (Vember Shortcircuit, DiscoDSP Highlife, etc). Set loop points and insert/loop sustained notes.

Edit: Or just open several instances of Audacity (freeware) and have a loop playing in each one of them. Loop section and play. Adjust output volume to avoid clipping/overdrive.

Last edited by Evelon; 28-01-2015 at 01:22 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

you can disassemble cassette tapes, loop the tape inside and play back with shitty 2nd hand cassette decks.

there are tutorials online somewhere. google is your friend.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
djoxygen (09-02-2015)
Old 28-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

but yeah as @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
said there, there are plenty of cost effective software tools too.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Looped tapes is an installation on its own (especially if the tape goes around a mic stand, a rusty bike, some kitchenware and other tools). That might generate a bigger crowd than the art.

------------------
Old 28-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Makeshift
Radial Developer
Makeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MCMakeshift is a savage MC

Thnx for the replies everyone. Tape looks like the answer. i've heard of tape loops b4 I just didn't know how diy'able they were. If I were to use software I would still need hardware to run it wouldn't I??? Anyway ima look into the tape stuff, thnx again all

------------------
Old 28-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

outsource that shit to China. i bet you can get a whole village to loop that shit for you for a couple of bucks per day. just talk to Apple, they'll hook you up.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
djoxygen (09-02-2015)
Old 28-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist

I take it you have a computer with an audio interface?

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
Makeshift (29-01-2015)
Old 28-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This place sells endless loop cassettes. Been meaning to pick a couple up to play with, haven't got around to it yet. The shortest seems to be a minute [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But I think Evelon's got the right idea. Laptop, audio interface with enough outputs. Run outputs to speakers.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Makeshift (29-01-2015)
Old 29-01-2015, 04:51 AM   #10
Makeshift
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I take it you have a computer with an audio interface?
Just realized i'm in your sig, I was v confused. Yeah I have a computer + an interface. I guess I didn't mention in the op but I was thinking of something that could be left for awhile, like a week or something IDK I wouldn't want to leave my laptop somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This place sells endless loop cassettes. Been meaning to pick a couple up to play with, haven't got around to it yet. The shortest seems to be a minute [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But I think Evelon's got the right idea. Laptop, audio interface with enough outputs. Run outputs to speakers.
Ok thnx, yeah ima buy that i think.

------------------
Thanks to Makeshift
relic (29-01-2015)
Old 29-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Evelon
IDMf Artist

The tape is strong with you, Luke.

Advertisements

------------------