Complextro?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
paulloebmusic
Granular Poster
paulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud of
Los Angeles, California
MC Status: 1100
Icon5 Complextro?

What does everyone think about "complextro"? The new glitchy-electro style house made popular by producers like Wolfgang Gartner, Porter Robinson, Spencer & Hill, Lazy Rich, Lucky Date, etc.

This is my first attempt at it:

Advertisements

------------------
paulloebmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
leftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant future
Reykjavik
MC Status: 1662
Re: Complextro?

Interesting track, a lot smoother synths than what you usually hear in Complextro.

I am very fond of complextro, in fact i am making one now these days ;P I will post it once it is ready to be previewed.

------------------
leftfoot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
paulloebmusic
Granular Poster
paulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud ofpaulloebmusic has much to be proud of
Los Angeles, California
MC Status: 1100

great! can't wait to hear

------------------
paulloebmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

I have not heard much of it, but I'm already sick of the repetitive 4/4 beat that seems to be present in all the tracks I have heard so far.

Not my thing . Marginally better than most electro styles I have heard though.
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
Pops
Soundwave Mangler
Pops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MC
Miami
MC Status: 117578

im down with the complextro. you should check out ryan enzed, nzmusic101 on youtube, he has some sick videos

------------------
Quote:
Fresh mushrooms also contain vitamin b12, so you can live without meat - in theory.
Pops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
dalvare1
Learning The Ropes
dalvare1 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

This is what i have been focusing on lately. I really like the style and versatility you have.
dalvare1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
halcyon442
Knob Twiddler
halcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MC
Here n There
MC Status: 2469896

I did a complextro track for the first time a couple months ago, it was a cool experience, the song is in my sig. I like the idea of taking the more low key instruments and rolling with that for a different vibe which seems kinda like what you did. However, I think the whole complextro thing is played out now because everyone and their mom does it now.
halcyon442 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
leftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant future
Reykjavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon442 View Post
I did a complextro track for the first time a couple months ago, it was a cool experience, the song is in my sig. I like the idea of taking the more low key instruments and rolling with that for a different vibe which seems kinda like what you did. However, I think the whole complextro thing is played out now because everyone and their mom does it now.
But that's exactly when it becomes interesting ;] It will push the "pro" standard higher and push the boundaries of the genre..

My track is getting closer to finish.. Won't be long now, but listening to halcyon442's track makes me a little insecure about mine lol.. Nice track halcyon442. Can't say I'm on that level yet.

------------------
Old 31-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
halcyon442
Knob Twiddler
halcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MC
Here n There
MC Status: 2469896

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfoot View Post
But that's exactly when it becomes interesting ;] It will push the "pro" standard higher and push the boundaries of the genre..

My track is getting closer to finish.. Won't be long now, but listening to halcyon442's track makes me a little insecure about mine lol.. Nice track halcyon442. Can't say I'm on that level yet.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. My only advice really would be to spend long hours on your mix. Really making sure that snares aren't crunching under the kick, basses aren't overpowering the rest of the mix, etc. What I've found in this world of bass music is it's really easy to get caught up in the whole more volume, more bass, more compression continuum. Good djs who play your tracks are going to be gaining and reducing everything anyway so having a loud, messy track is nothing compared to a quieter, well balanced, CLEAN track.

Sorry to digress though.

I feel like everything is evolving rapidly. Right now everyone is on the idea that a complextro track is composed of wobbles, an electrobass, chord stabs, and miscellaneous stuff. I've begun seeing the chopped up, glitchy bassline in many other tracks though that wouldn't be considered complextro. Nu disco is a great example. It's hard to say where it's all going but I don't foresee it lasting in it's present state for very much longer. People are always inventing and innovating, I think we're going to see a lot of cool, radical stuff coming out in the next couple months/years.
halcyon442 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
reaper1984
Learning The Ropes
reaper1984 is currently spamming hard

I'm gonna release my track sooner or later aswell
reaper1984 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Complextro? Is that the next villan in the Batman series?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
Reykjavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RFJ View Post
Complextro? Is that the next villan in the Batman series?
Well, here is one interpretation from Reddit:

Quote:
What is Complextro?: A new genre that stemmed from 'electro'.This genre is complex, hence the name, with artists producing basslines/leads that are very intricate sometimes involving 8+ different synth sounds per 2 bar loop. Artists like Feed Me, Skrillex, Uppermost, Wolfgang Gartner and even Deadmau5 have all taken shots at producing it. (With Grand Results)
Taken from this page:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Complextro/

It also has a collection of Complextro tracks, some of which are pretty good.

------------------
Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Inofaith
Sample Destroyer
Inofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MCInofaith is a savage MC
MC Status: 2299606

I don't see what's complex about it as opposed to regular electro...

------------------
Inofaith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

I don't see it as "complex electro" so much as "ocd electro". (not saying that's neccesarily a bad thing.)
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

more like spazzytro

shit is mostly annoying and cheesy but there are a few bangers
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

I like your tune and the style and some complextro, but I also don't like the boring 4x4 beat. I don't know what's up with that supposedly being interesting. It's too plain.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
Reykjavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist View Post
I like your tune and the style and some complextro, but I also don't like the boring 4x4 beat. I don't know what's up with that supposedly being interesting. It's too plain.
It does do its job in the club, but I do like me some breakbeat now and again.

------------------
Old 22-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Pops
Soundwave Mangler
Pops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MCPops is a savage MC
Miami
MC Status: 117578

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
shit is mostly annoying and cheesy but there are a few bangers
the few bangers are truly bangers

------------------
Quote:
Fresh mushrooms also contain vitamin b12, so you can live without meat - in theory.
Pops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
J.HiZ
Minor Glitch
J.HiZ is currently spamming hard

yeah complextro is a difficult genre to make WELL (obviously, hence the name ) a lot of stuff out there sounds like a bunch of random one shots firing off on 16th notes. I've been trying my hand at it recently and I love the complexity of how detailed you have to be to get everything to sit right.
J.HiZ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.HiZ View Post
yeah complextro is a difficult genre to make WELL (obviously, hence the name ) a lot of stuff out there sounds like a bunch of random one shots firing off on 16th notes.
I thought it was the other way around - it's sounds more complex than it actually is.

Advertisements

Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote