How do YOU start a track? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
Somn
Minor Glitch
Somn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to all
Stockholm
MC Status: 610
Re: How do YOU start a track?

I usually make the track up as I go along. I get inspired by sounds so I usually start off by programming i patch until I get something that intrigues me. Then I program a simple house loop of drums and start building layers onto layers.

I write as I mix, pretty much.

Advertisements

Somn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Somn
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania
MC Status: 310

The easiest way for me is getting the right chords, even if i dont actually use them. Just to set the mood

Twisty BR
djfablebr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #23
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Lately I've been starting everything out by writing hypnotic 16 bar loops on guitar or piano. Then I transfer those ideas into the box.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #24
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
you forgot main aspect buddy, a good wankin off before starting composition may do the job as well
:badger:
If you save it for after you complete the track, you can use it as incentive and reward for a job well-done

------------------
:bye::bye:
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #25
WillDarling
Minor Glitch
WillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really nice
The Isle of Wight, England
MC Status: 410

I usually start with a beat, unless a melody pops into my head randomly and I load up Ableton and get it down ASAP
WillDarling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to WillDarling
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 26-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #26
skunkhaze
Radial Developer
skunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond reputeskunkhaze has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4148

i start with kick drum

------------------
skunkhaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to skunkhaze
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 28-08-2016, 02:39 AM   #27
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3064619

Get drunk
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 03:49 AM   #28
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

It generally starts with a general theme, the style of track I want to go after. I then start playing around with some sounds. That's often where the dynamic starts and I go with the flow. Starts out with the idea of a heavy industrial banger and ends up as a textured beat laden piece of old school vibe. It's all good. It's fun and I'm learning quite a bit.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #29
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939

I always start by patching up the modular. When something cool arises, i record a long piece where everything morphs into different sounds. Then pick the coolest parts and use that in a track, add beats maybe, add other layers, etc

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #30
Renthebathroom
Renthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Usually I play some chord on my Keyboard, I try to set some nice harmonic pattern, if possible a little bit unusual with some unexpected voicing. Then once the harmonic pattern and the chord are in place I start messing up with the drum,so the chord progression and the drum fit correctly. And then come what I call the "orchestration" or "arrangement" phase, where I apply (from the VST plugin) the adequate sound to the correct chord to try to set the better and cleanest mix possible. And of course, if needed and depending of the mood of the track, before the "chord" phase" I can just start with setting a drum and bass connection (which need and underlaying presence of an harmonic pattern anyway) and then complete the drum and bass fondation by addings some (interesting if possbile) chords. From there I expand if something come out of it.
Renthebathroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Renthebathroom
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 06-09-2016, 12:58 AM   #31
godzillawed
Learning The Ropes
godzillawed has a spectacular aura aboutgodzillawed has a spectacular aura about
Saint Petersburg, FL
MC Status: 160

contrary to that old "Rusko Producer Masterclass" tutorial video on youtube we all know and love, i usually never start with a beat or anything other than the actual music.

sometimes ill start with something as simple as a bassline. and see what sounds good in key.

or sometimes. ill find an interesting sound and see if i can get something catchy out of it.

BUT MOST times its the same fuckin thing and i hate myself for it haha. A low passed distorted saw that i make some shwifty chords out of. i try not to settle for anything to mediocre. then i just write a plucky little melody over top. sometimes its random gold. sometimes its absolute garbage and i should kill myself.

then from there every now and then i see if it sounds good at a different tempo and wablam. then i start the inbetweens
godzillawed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #32
WillDarling
Minor Glitch
WillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really nice
The Isle of Wight, England
MC Status: 410

In fact, further to this question I've just finished a blog post on using a template of a track you like and building in your own elements around a tried and tested structure (my one is for "Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For (feat. Rihanna)". Check out EDMtips dot com and it's the latest post.
Hope it helps!
Will
WillDarling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #33
clivegray
Learning The Ropes
clivegray will become famous soon enough
Ettalong Beach, NSW
MC Status: 60

Because I first started writing and playing music in a band, I often find my songs taking their first shape while I'm playing on my bass, guitar or piano, not actually "composing" but just practicing or jamming out. Trying to force the process often leads to a painful place of creative constipation.

Sometimes the process can very intellectual, with musical ideas coming and going, whereas othertimes it can be very raw and emotional, and not at all an exercise of the mind but something much different. Idk if this helps anyone or not but great thread topic!
clivegray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to clivegray
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 07-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #34
radiowaves
Savage Mad Cunt
radiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MC
MC Status: 24505865

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
You know what I'm a fan of? Graphic scores as a way of starting something.

John Cage's Fontana Mix
Brian Eno's Music for Airports
Stockhausen
If you like this, you should definately look into Pure Data data structures. Gazillion ways to store anything.

As for me, I usually build a sequencer. But first I have an idea, then I let it come true building instrument by instrument.

------------------
radiowaves is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to radiowaves
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #35
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753000

90% if the time i start with the beat. I just find it easier constructing my songs around a solid beat... but come to think of it. If i tried just making the melodies first for once, my songs would probably come out way different since I'm taking a different approach for once.

May try that haha.

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Chaotix
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #36
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3064619

I start with what feels right for the mood I'm in. Sometimes it may be just noodling on keys or jamming guitar lol. Sometimes I start with a mechanical drum beat or a long winded atmosphere. I have no clear direction when starting a track honestly, I just go for it

Although after I start it, I always work from beginning to end, section by section. I have to perfect a section before moving onto the next.
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rewir3d
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 26-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #37
Juxtpose
Granular Poster
Juxtpose is a glorious beacon of lightJuxtpose is a glorious beacon of lightJuxtpose is a glorious beacon of lightJuxtpose is a glorious beacon of lightJuxtpose is a glorious beacon of light
Melbourne
MC Status: 460

Using hardware I'll sketch stuff with that. Record some stuff into the DAW and if I like it break it down into loops for a live set later. Usually record all rehearsals and gigs and listening back use that as a platform to make the track. I make techno more or less so this process works, even though Im mainly digital having that live element and having hardware (drum machine mainly) saves a lot of time

------------------
Juxtpose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: mexican death metal
Thanks to Juxtpose
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 26-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #38
fid
IDMf Artist
fid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MCfid is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowaves View Post
If you like this, you should definately look into Pure Data data structures. Gazillion ways to store anything.

As for me, I usually build a sequencer. But first I have an idea, then I let it come true building instrument by instrument.
all of those "scores" were made after the music was recorded and they are meaningless to anyone actually trying to recreate the intentions of the original composer. which is the point of creating a score. pretty? yes. sell that shit at urban outfitters for $80. specifically descriptive for performers attempting to recreate the piece true to the composer's intention in front of audiences for generations to come? no. sometimes i want to say fuck that whole era of cum-posers.

------------------
fid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #39
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28360

Usually on accident while I'm working on something else. Like, "I wonder if this would work here as a bassline LOL NOPE NEEDS TO BE A NEW SONG!". It makes my projects a bit slow to get done, but all things considered, it's a nice problem to have.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)
Old 26-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #40
DOLGAP
Granular Poster
DOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Wait for idea. Get my midi keyboard and select a sample that close to my idea, load into sampler and than mess and midi keyboard until the melody what I want to play worked out, then set bpm, length of the melody part, record it. Make a drumloop that fits under the melody part and after that, the other things will go well.
Option 2: load pad sample into sampler (or load pad preset into a synth), tweak it, and improv stuff on midi keyboard and record it. Then I have ambient textures. Other stuff might go later.

Advertisements

DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DOLGAP
Lotus_Jewel (27-07-2017)